BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Delta not making many new friends
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Delta not making many new friends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were thrilled speechless when Delta announced their new direct ATL-BON route last year. We were quick to jump on the Wed-Wed flight (departing 3-26) because it was cheaper than Sat-Sat. However, I've been reading the posts on this board about cancellations of the mid-week flights with mounting anxiety. I hadn't heard a peep from Delta, so I went to the Delta website yesterday to check my flights. My flight to Bonaire on 3/26 was still "confirmed." My return flight on 4/2, however, had disappeared and was no longer listed on my itinerary. I called my travel agent who checked with Delta and learned that the outbound flight on March 26 was still "on" (for now anyway), but the return on April 2 had been cancelled. What the hell! I guess Delta figured that if I got to Bonaire I would not be concerned about being stuck there (some truth in that).

Anyway, chaos ensued but we were eventually able to juggle schedules and re-book everything (flights, hotel, truck, diving, etc.) for a March 29 - April 5 trip. So all was not lost.

I know Delta is losing money, the economy is in the tank, etc., but this is certainly no way to build customer loyalty. Waiting until 3 weeks before my travel to cancel my vacation flight is not very customer friendly. And the fact that I had to learn about it from this board rather than from Delta shows their lack of concern (and I'm a SkyMiles Gold guy). But I guess that quaint "customer service" concept is so outdated as to be irrelevant, for airlines anyway.

So for anybody who is still planning to fly Delta to Bonaire on a Wednesday this Spring, note the following announcement from the Delta web site:

"Flights to and from Bonaire, Netherland Antilles operate on Saturday only. Flights will also operate on Wednesdays from July 2, 2008 to August 13, 2008. Service for the date you selected is not offered or not available. Please select another date."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #211) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John,

That post of yours just did it for me!! I'm heading back down in October, Sat to Sat, which should be no problem with Delta, but............!!

They forced AJ out of the market, and are now providing FAR inferior service. I haven't bought a ticket yet, but it WILL NOT be on Delta!!

I'll find a route to Aruba or Curacao, and hopefully a way to arrive via puddle jumper in the afternoon!! I am sick of this crap!!

Wish there was a format to email Delta as a group! Most of us plan months in advance. Hotel and air reservations, rental trucks, etc. Either provide the same level of service, and SECURE, UNQUESTIONABLE, reservations, or get back out!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cable (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I just came home from a wonderful dive vacation on Bonaire. We flew AJ with out any problems. We enjoyed our vacation so much that we decided to book a two week vacation for next winter. AJ will not fly to Bonaire out of Baltimore MD.(USA)any more. The rates from the other airlines and the amount of time it will take us to fly to Bonaire has made our trip now to expensive. We hope the airlines will change these flights or we can no longer afford to visit and dive this beautiful island

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6154) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT Dan. As good as AJ was for some people, there are still good inexpensive ways to Bonaire. Look for flights to Curacao or Aruba, these could be direct and cheap from BWI, then take a small plane to Bonaire. Bonaire is not easy to get to but worth the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cable (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm having trouble finding flights on line from Curacao and Aruba to Bonaire. What airline flies this route?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3249) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From Curacao try Divi Divi. From Aruba you can consider DAE - and they also fly from Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cable (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, I will try that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6164) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dan you can not book Divi Divi or DAE with an on-line service like Travelocity. You will need to talk to them directly or use a travel agent. Look at their schedule and their prices are about $100 r/t for Curacao to Bonaire and $200 r/t for Aruba to Bonaire.

Curacao and Divi Divi is the best option. You can leave BWI early in the morning (on AA) connect through Miami and be in Curacao by 2:00PM then another hour or so to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #218) on Friday, March 7, 2008 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, and others

I am ADAMANT about getting to Bonaire before 6PM, and not leaving to come back until sometime in the afternoon. Always go Sat to Sat. I have already paid in advance at Buddy Dive for 10-25 thru 11-1.

Using AA from DCA to CUR, and then Divi, total cost for the trip TODAY, including excess baggage charges on Divi is $678. Again TODAY, Delta wants $907.

There are always 2 checked bags for each of us, coming in at 100 pounds per person. I did the same route using Divi 8 or 9 years ago, and there was no problem in getting our bags on the same flight as us.

My question is this. Has anyone used Divi recently, with any excess baggage (over 44 pounds). On their website, they reiterate over and over that excess luggage may not make it on the same flight. Going down is one thing. Coming back is another, and having to board AA before our luggage has made it from Bonaire.

Any help out there from recent experiences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6173) on Friday, March 7, 2008 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know myself. I do know Divi flies fairly small planes, I also know they have great customer service. Now DAE will get your bags over but it will also cost you, been there done that. I also know their customer service is one step above Gitmo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Barna (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

DIDN'T
EVER
LEAVE
THE
AIRPORT

THAT'S DELTA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3347) on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 2:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, we had way more than 44 pounds apiece, no problem with Divi, it all came with us, and they assured me that if my luggage was delayed, it would soon follow, and they have planes going all day long.

And no extra charges were levied, though they reserve the right to charge you a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #185) on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have even had the experience with Divi that they will send a second plane (if available) with luggage, if there's not enough room on the first plane. The second plane landed a minute after our plane, so there was no inconvenience.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration