BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: DELTA ATLANTA TO BONAIRE INAUGURAL FLIGHT REPORT
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: DELTA ATLANTA TO BONAIRE INAUGURAL FLIGHT REPORT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margaret c wilson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WEll, we are back as of late last night here in boston and want to let you know you the Delta flight from Atlanta to Bonaire worked. We took it on Sat 2/9 and returned yesterday Sat 2/16.
To connect to the Atlanta departure BOS we had to catch a 5:45 am Delta flight to Atlanta. It worked out fine, and we caught the 10:00 am flight which landed as scheduled shortly after 3PM. No worries at all with that. Did wish they had cracked some champagne or made more of a fuss other than noting it was the inaugural flight of this service. (By the way, food consists of a couple of cracker packs, cheese spread, raisins and 2 oreos with a later service of peanuts or granola).
Delta's new flights were much commented around town so it was a big deal for Bonaire, with welcoming committee of Bonairean ladies offering tamarind juice and little salt souveniers...nice touch. Baggage reclaim as you know is little trouble as the area is so small and customs was quick.
Trip itself was wonderful, and I will post more on subtopics elsewhere, but 'tis the return trip on Delta I'll note here. First, the boarding process at Bonaire onto the departing flight was almost silly. Prior to boarding, for about a half hour the attendants followed the usual, "Zone 1, Zone 2", etc. progression, but then decided to say the heck with that and say 'ok, everybody on now'. It made no sense as our bags still had to be searched prior to leaving the airport and walking on the tarmac to the plane. Since the bags had already been screened it didn't make a heck of a lot of sense, and naturally the boarding divers made their feelings known. Anyhoo, after the bottleneck and ensuing chaos we all boarded. Met a party of fellows from Napa and New Orleans one of whom opined it wasn't a Delta, rather a Bonairean, snafu. But the flight itself went quite smoothly what with a movie and watching the flight screen showing our rapid progress back north.
Where we really had a problem was with the re-entry process at Atlanta. You may be familiar with the routine, but here it is in case it's been while. We had passport check, first. Then we had to retrieve our bags, next have them cleared for customs, and then re-check our bags, again get cleared by security. With (for those of us going to Boston) a two hour gap between the landing in Atlanta, and the departure of the flight to Boston we could jump all those hurdles and make our plane home.
Didn't work that way. After passport check without any comment from airport staff as to what to do next we all got to the right carousel and found...little luggage coming off the plane...then none, with no information as to what was going on, and no one other than the hapless baggage attendant to help. As you know, divers' baggage is not full of clothing so much as expensive and delicate equipment, cameras, etc. No one came to help or answer questions - nor was there an information desk to enquire as to what was going on. Finally a fellow came by after about 20 minutes and said it was our call as to whether we catch our flight and make a bag claim later when we got to our destination. He also said Delta would probably put us up in Atlanta if we missed our flights. One of the group waiting for the baggage grabbed a passing attending and forced her to call to find out what had happened. Some said that the plane had moved from the gate with our luggage prior to its being unloaded, hence the delay. A distant intercom noted that we should wait another 15 minutes. When you have 35 minutes to get to your plane and know you still have to go through customs and security you have a tough choice to make. We decided to wait - the luggage finally came - customs pushed us through and somehow got through security,catching the train to our gate, and running as the last boarders onto the plane for boston

Don't know if other people didn't wait for their luggage - would be interested to know what happened to them, and to those with longer flights back home than ours.
The icing on the cake is that when we got to Boston our 3 pieces of luggage didn't arrive - this was midnight by now - we filed a claim to have them sent to us at home. The lady at the baggage claim noted that it was Saturday - what did we expect...tHis morning the Delta baggage claim website noted that our luggage was picked up and is somewhere in transit. It's 6:30 now, and the bags are projected to arrive before 10 pm tonight.

I'll let you know when we get our bags.

Such a disappointing end to a great week. COnsidering Delta opened this route one would think they could have executed this all so much better. The flights themselves, and the timing thereof, seemed ideal on the surface.

When our fellow passengers on that flight have a chance could you let us know how you all made out?

Marg W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marg, thank you for the Delta report on Atlanta to Bonaire. My husband and I are taking that flight on May 3. The short window between connections is a concern to me, especially after reading your experience with coming home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4667) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh say it isn't so!!!!!! We will be doing the BWI, ATL, BON trip in May and now am a tad nervous. I do, however, expect a few burps in the early flights although yours seems to be quite a belch!

Having flown AJ, for so many years, and flying directly back to BWI, I now am wondering how the bag retrieval/customs thing will go for us in ATL?!?! I TOTALLY forgot about that aspect and it's the busiest airport in the world, NO LESS.....UGH!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #684) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We decided to stay overnight both ways in Atlanta and (hopefully) avoid the above hassles. Immigration in Atlanta is, indeed, a ridiculous nightmare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #250) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For those spending the night in Atlanta, do you suggest a particular hotel? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6106) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marg, thanks for the report we are on that route in March. We are staying in Hotlanta on the way down but catching the late flight to Boston on the way back. It would not be a big deal if we are delayed coming home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5036) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why can't the airline's forward the baggage to the final destination for immigration? I know with AJ, Montego Bay was not our final destination, and we had those green tags put on the bags so they were just transfered to the last leg of your trip...Seems much simpler. And then you could just go through immigration at your final destination?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 5/9 (woo hoo) (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think every airport in the states has a 24/7 manned immigration area, which could explain the reason your first US "hub" destination is where you clear customs, etc. Having been to some of the cozier airports (Bozeman, Jackson Hole, etc.), I'm not sure they even have an immigration area.

Bummer for your experience coming back, but the bright side is that at least your luggage wasn't delayed on the way down, right? Having lost skis, etc. en route to a ski vacation, I can attest to how sucky it is to START your vacation that way :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4673) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl,
Rob and I were JUST talking about that this morning. This is giving me that barffing feeling already and I have till mid May to fret!!!

Just talked to our TA at Caradonna. No dice on doing customs anywhere else but at original point of entry. Guess we'll be doing Atlanta interigation and then rechecking bags...UGH!!! I really gave this NO thought until today :-(

I was reassured that Delta should have worked all the kinks/burps out prior to May :-) We're flying first class, not that that makes a difference but I at least have that comfort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Lawson (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used to think Miami customs was the absolute worst ... until we did Atlanta this past January. We flew the inaugural ATL-CUR flight on 12/22 and return on 1/5.

The wait for bags AFTER getting through the passport control was about 45 minutes. We were staying the night in Atlanta and didn't figure on the back recheck and security, so didn't put our duty free in our suitcases. You have to recheck in Atlanta so you can take the train to the main terminal where you reclaim your bags a second time if you are stopping ... Fortunately we had an extra tote bag that zipped to hold our duty free items then we got a temp tag to "check" it from a Delta desk ... our duty free travelled with the bags while we went through security and took the train.

It was a TWO HOUR ordeal for us ... luckily we were not connecting ... a 7p Saturday night in Atlanta customs is very busy ...

So, my best advice is be patient and try to keep a sense of humor ... and don't forget to put your duty free back in your checked luggage before "rechecking" ... not usually a problem for folks connecting, but almost a big one for us since we were staying overnight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Workman (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kobi, When we were flying ALM into Atlanta (Delta gates) the pilot told us to grab our stuff and get in line as fast as we could. There was an AJ flight landing at the same time and they'd be searching/scrutinizing everyone for that flight. As we stood in line, an agent walked down asking for Bonaire passengers and pulled us to the front. We were through in no time.
Hope things get worked out, we have an hour and 45 minutes between flights. If not, you'll find us at the bar for whatever hotel they put us up in!
As an aside, we're going to be back in Atlanta in November to dive the Georgia Aquarium with the whale sharks! I'm soooooo excited to do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3087) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The first point of entry in the US is where baggage is checked as well as passengers. In this case, Atlanta. Towards the end of Air Jamaica's MBJ Boston flight they had a few unscheduled stops, one being Atlanta. It was a flightmare getting thru customs and immigration after waiting an hour to get our bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4679) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Judy, we might be with you....stuck in Atlanta! OYE.....let's hope NOT! I gotta be positive ut those old ALM days are coming back into my memory as I type...UGH!

OMG....diving the aquarium would be awesome! Scott, a guy on BT, works there part time and dives with the critters on occasion.
You'll have to let me know how that goes....way cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #551) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Coming from The Netherlands we had the same devastating experience in Atlanta.
Inefficient, time consuming, bad indications frome where our plane left, lost all our luggage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4683) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,
Sorry you got snafu'd in Atlanta also! It has happened to the best of us, I guess.
Now you say lost luggage? Lost as in LOST forever or misplaced and it finally found you?

One of the worst losses in luggage we had was stinking Miami! Thanks to old ALM they lost(never saw it ever again) 2 bags; one going to BON and one coming home from BON!!! That year s*ucked :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margaret c wilson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

END OF STORY: INAUGURAL FLIGHT FUN!

By the way our luggage finally arrived at 11 pm last night. So about 24 hours after we landed our stuff returned home. All there and in good shape.

Delta had informed us that it doesn't deliver private (non-commercial) luggage after 10 pm, so my husband had to hang around all day waiting for it as they gave us a 3 - 10 pm delivery time range - but who cares, we got it.

Any option to grinning and bearing it? I suppose scheduling more time in between flights would help, but even more so would be some streamlining of the passport/reclaim/customs/recheck/security pass process.

Any suggestions as to how that might be done for this flight - who might help - or is this too optimistic? Kobi's travel agent had told them that the bugs would be worked out by the time they traveled in May, but the other postings don't indicate the problem is flight-specific. Judy noted that the pilot and customs staff had used a pragmatic approach to get people through quickly.

Neither of our flights were very long, but for people flying across the country or the pond their vacations could really be affected.

Thanks for all the input. I learned a new word today - 'flightmare'. Now, how do you say that in Dutch and Papiemento?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5038) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wrote to Delta about this issue today. We have flown on alot of ALM flight's and this has prepared us for almost anything...but Air Jamaica was pretty smooth...as far as connections go...
Anyway..here is my letter and response from Delta...
Did they answer the question?

We have used Air Jamaica for many years to go to Bonaire to scuba dive.
We now will be using Delta,as you are the new carrier to Bonaire.
In the past Air Jamiaca put green tags on our bags so they were transfered to our final destination and all we had to be concerned with was making our flight connection on time.
We understand the immigration check but once
bags are checked on the first leg...why can't passenger's go through the immigration process on the final leg and not twice?
This would make things at the airport flow more smoothly and seems like a more sensible
idea.

Delta's Response:

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our baggage policy. We continuously try to improve our customer's experience and try to make easier.
Suggestions from our customers are an invaluable
resource and we welcome any ideas you may have to make our service even better.

Your selection of Delta is appreciated, and we will always do our best to merit your confidence and support.

Sincerely,

Sharon Nicoles
Online Customer Support Desk

Huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4691) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sharon! You got some splaining to do!! LOL

Yep, clearly answered your/our questions? NOT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl, looks like an automatic response to me. I am following this thread with great interest and scared silly on how my husband and I will get through the confusion. This will only be my 2nd vacation involving an airplane, so we're not real experienced travelers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4693) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April,
Don't let this scare you, honestly. I am sure you will be fine; this new Delta thing really does have to get kink's worked out from the ATL end of it. That's the bottleneck at present. We have been going to Bonaire every single year (sometimes twice/yr.) since 1994 and we have had our share of little burps.

We have till May and since you go one week prior to hubby and I, please let us know how things go for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #552) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kobi, our luggage was not lost forever.
They delivered it to St. Simons Island the other day.
The airport at Atlanta was such a chaos that we even did not expect our luggage to arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Kobi. I'll be sure to report back on how things go. Fingers crossed that the bugs are worked out by then for both of us. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just arrived on Bonaire 2/16 via the Delta direct out of Atlanta . . . sweet. Have traveled AJ in the past and the direct flight with Delta was AWESOME. We even arrived on Bonaire about 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I know things are more difficult where connections are involved but I'm looking forward to many future flights using Delta direct out of Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3173) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow - bashing my old hometown airport. I LOVE the Atlanta airport but I think that's from 18 years of flying through it. Of course I love my new little airport that I fly from now. There is no showing up two hours before the plane leaves - they'd think you were NUTS!!! Get there 45 minutes before and you will have no problems. You'll actually spend some "quality" time at gates 1-6 even with only 45 minutes before your flight.

We are on the March 22nd flight and I'm more concerned about my little puddle jumper flight from the big Tri-Cities airport actually leaving on time and making it to Atlanta than I am about making it through customs on the way back. It's a hassle but it USUALLY is pretty quick. I do suspect that they screwed up on the inaugural flight. Someone may have thought that plane was coming from Bonaire Georgia - not Bonaire the country - LOL.

To me - ALWAYS - Miami is the worst of the worst. I do agree that there could certainly be more signage in the Atlanta customs area about what the heck to do and where to go. I guess they figure a little mind melding and mind reading is good for passengers - LOL! I hope to read about some improvements in the return flights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #318) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since we live in SC Atlanta has been our airport for the past 13 years. It is the world's busiest airport and overall they do a pretty good job. However, the return hassle to have bags reinspected is not smooth or well organized. We were told that it will get better as they get the "kinks" out. I have no idea what that means.

There are a number of hotels that offer park and fly packages. We have used Marriott, Ramada, and most recently La Quinta. Go on the internet and get the best price. All have shuttle buses that go between hotel and the airport 24/7 on about a 20 minute basis.

Atlanta is a Delta hub and as such they try to accomodate their passengers. Let's give Delta a little time and then make an assessment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jennifer Munn (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were on the inaugural flight as well and my advice is to do as we have done---move to Atlanta--then you don't have to worry about the connecting flights. Just kidding--but it was so much better than our last trip to Bonaire which was Atlanta to Miami to San Juan to Bonaire--now that my friends was a fiasco!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #272) on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Atlanta customs/baggage pick up must in part be related to time of day. My husband and I just came into Atlanta yesterday morning, Friday, around 8 am from Lima, Peru on Delta and there was NO line at customs, bags came within 15 min and the rest of the process including that silly re check hand luggage security took zip time. We even checked to see if we could make an earlier flight it went so well, but there were no seats on it.

Ok, I am on the Delta flight to Bon in Sept, and figure they have to have figured it out by then. Sorry you had a tough time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #553) on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lydia, that must have been an awesome trip to Peru.
It’s still on my list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Borek (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just returned from Bonaire on 2/23 via Delta and for anyone who is trying to connect that same evening--- be afraid, be very afraid!!!

The flight from Atlanta arrived in Bonaire late. It ended up leaving a solid 45 minutes late. I figured since we had a 1 hour and 55 minute gap, we might just make it to our connecting flight to Boston. Wrong!!

The pass thru for immigration was fine. Only took a few minutes to do that. Then the problems began. The luggage took forever to come thru. There are no people in the luggage area to tell anyone anything about what was going on or what the next steps were. Finally the luggage started appearing. We grabbed our bags and then waited in line to clear customs, then gave the bags back to luggage handlers to progress to the next flight, then waited in line to re-screen carry on's and persons(why this is necessary when you have not left the area and there is nowhere to go between Immigration, luggage claim and Customs is beyond me). Finally we re-entered the main terminal. After having to go from "E" to "A", we missed our connector by 10 minutes. Delta did put us up for the night (since they were late in the first place). Although Delta did pay for that, the hotel shuttle area is an incredible nightmare. Spend the $15 bucks and take a taxi to the hotel. Most are no more than a mile or 2 away.

If I use Delta again, I will plan a stay over Sat night in Atl and book out the next morning to Beantown. A lot less stressful way to end a wonderful trip to Bonaire (our 3rd).

We went down the previous Friday night and overnighted in ATL. Was a nice way to start the trip. Stayed at the Fairfield Suites-Airport. About a mile or so from the airport, free shuttle( although you have to deal with the nightmare shuttle area for pickup, dropoff by the shuttle is direct to the terminal), very nice suite sized rooms for $75.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6254) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The reason they have you clear security again after customs is because you have had an opportunity to remove things from your luggage which would be fine in luggage but not in a carry-on.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6124) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well William you just described our upcoming trip. Down Friday night and back Saturday night. We'll see if we make our connection. I'm not particularly worried about it, just another night in Hotlanta.

The deal with the luggage/security is true no matter where you clear customs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As long as they get us to Bonaire in a timely manner, I can be more patient about getting back a day late. I'm guessing going is much easier, since you don't have to deal with customs until you get to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margaret c wilson (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, getting there was no problem at all.
It was the Atlanta stopover that was a real hassle...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We only have 2 hours +/- to change over in Atlanta, both going and coming back home. Just doesn't seem like enough, especially for coming back home with all the customs and rechecks to deal with. I have a feeling we'll be spending the night in Atlanta on our way back home. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5080) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How far is it to go from terminal "E" to terminal "A". I would imagine this will stay the same for all the flights going from Atlantia to Bonaire.
Anyone have a map so we can scope out our "run" in advance? What I'm gonna miss the most is "margaritaville" in Montego Bay! That was our Hub while we were waiting to board the plane to Bonaire.
With such a short time between flights on Air Jamiaca, we still found time for Margaritaville!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5081) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems like the problem is flying from any airport in America and connecting in Atlanta, then on to Bonaire (and back the same route.)
Flying from Atlantic direct to Bonaire you are only dealing with one leg of luggage/customs/gates
check.
Lydia going through customs in Bonaire or Peru must be easier than the USA. And when you arrived in Atlanta and went through customs was Atlanta your final destination?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5082) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I spoke with Delta and flying from Phili to Atlanta (as Deltas records show now) The flight comes in at E3 and then we will transfer to E31 for the flight to Bonaire.
From the Airport map it doesn't look TOO bad of a trek, although it is from one side to the other. I guess flying from Boston puts you into A terminal and then you have to get to E.
Delta said to call nearer our flight to make sure terminal departures and arrivals have not changed.
Hope this helps some Phili travelers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen...trip in July! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #422) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl...at ATL you will take the train from terminal A to E.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5084) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They told me from Phili we will be flying into terminal E (hopefully not literally)E3
and then E31 to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen...trip in July! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #423) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

just a quick stroll then...
I reread the above and noticed it was William that had to go from A to E :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5085) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hopefully! With all the gear..I'm not sure it will be sooo quick...but better than William's trek!
That is if schedules don't change by then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margaret c wilson (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, March 1, 2008 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We walked a long part of the e terminal on our way down to Bonaire via Delta and there was no problem - we did a FAST walk though as we got some breakfast and Starbucks for the ride down. (Have no illusions about the sumputousness of the box meals i.e. snacks served on the flight).
Coming back from Bonaire we had to take the fast train from one terminal to another - it did not take very long to do that; what took the time was the passport/baggage claim-recheck/security chaos about which enough has been said elsewhere.
How I envy your LOOKING FORWARD to your trip...
Marg W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reza Gorji (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Sunday, March 2, 2008 - 12:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for this informative post.
I think I will stick with the continental flights for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5097) on Sunday, March 2, 2008 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marg, If we fly into E terminal and fly out of E terminal...does the baggage come into E terminal?
Or does all baggage come out at the other end of the airport!
This would of course mean we would have to take the "fast train" to baggage and then back to E for the departure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3234) on Monday, March 3, 2008 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the baggage will all go to the customs clearance area which is near terminal E. Terminal E is the "international" terminal. It shouldn't be bad at all....she says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #274) on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl,

Sorry for the delay in the answer to your question from 10 days ago, I was diving, in Cozumel. Don't ask, my family and friends made me do it, not my style of diving or location.

Coming back from Peru last month, Atlanta was not our final destination, it was Washington DC. And it sounds like NOT alot of fun most other times of the day.

Also, we flew back through Houston from Coz yesterday, Sunday, and the whole customs/baggage thing took over an hour between all the lines. Not fun but no missed flights or baggage.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration