BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Last minute AA question
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Last minute AA question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #250) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, are you there? You've got the most experience, but any recent reports will help.
I'm doing PHL to SJU to BON tomorrow. Sky miles got us up front on the first leg, so I can do all carry-on (it helps not being fashionable).
We've got a LONG layover in San Juan (thanks to all for the great summary in 2006 on what to do and how soon to get in line). My "all carry-on" will become some carry-on at that point. When should I hand over the bag I'll check? I hear about theft on the one hand, and weight restrictions and bumping on the other.
What's the collective wisdom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl B (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #263) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holly, why are you planning to check a bag in SJU? Why not just carry it on or check it at planeside, if you already have it in hand? Or why not check it in PHL, and not have to worry about it?

Just my $.02...

Good luck, whatever you decide!
Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #251) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cheryl. I haven't done this route to Bonaire before; we've taken AJ for years. I'll have two bags: a backpack and a duffle. They fit on a large plane, but on other routes, I usually give up the duffle at recheck or plane-side. If plane-side works, I'll do it. WinAir (to Montserrat) likes it at recheck. Gulf Stream (to Bahamas) likes plane-side. What does American Eagle like? Have you taken Amer Eagle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3031) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holly, I read and re read this. I have no clue what you are asking. Maybe my mind is burnt out today. I do not think you can check carry on as checked later in the flight. Why would you?? Sorry, maybe I am missing something.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #824) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holly ... We have done the American Eagle route many times. If you have the duffle in your hands in SJU then I would check it planeside. You will be given a ticket stub before boarding the bus to the plane and then turn it over once you get to the plane. You will then pick it up once you land in Bonaire. Your backpack (if it is day pack size) will most likely fit under your seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #252) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Susan. I knew somebody would know. I'll hand off the duffle at plane-side. The backpack fits under the seat on even that little WinAir eight-seater.
Sorry Ann, I just didn't explain myself well. You know that Antigua airport, and WinAir. We were just luck we weren't trying to fly Liat!
I've just got pre-trip jitters, and it's a new way of doing things. The hardest part of the trip is leaving the cats in the care of a pet sitter.
But it will all be worth it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia *** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3905) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holly,
Safe flights and diving! We're old AJ people too and not sure how we're gonna get there in a few months :-(

Have a great time........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #253) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll report back in a couple weeks.
Thanks for the good wishes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2674) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

I believe she is asking whether to check the duffle (that was 'carried on' on the flight PHL-SJU) for the ATR flight SJU-BON, because the ATR is a much smaller plane, or continue with it as carry-on.

Will the AE gate folk allow a large bag as carry-on? The smaller the plane, the better the crew wants to know their weight and balance numbers. The passengers should want them to know also! I expect all checked baggage is weighed where carry-on is not. :–)

(Message edited by glenr on January 13, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3033) on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I see..Susan answered it correctly. I do this all the time when I fly to Antigua from Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Armour (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Never had a problem with baggage in SJU!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration