BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Flying DAE
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Flying DAE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By davidlovesturtles (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been coming to Bonaire for 4 years now. Every time connecting through Aruba (via Air Canada) then with DAE, formerly Bonaire Excel.

I have read many entries bemoaning their service, but honestly, we have had nothing but success with them. Including this year (we are still here) on the way in from Aruba to Curacao we lost one engine (it was in the local paper the other day). Nothing like looking out the window and seeing one of the props idly turning in the breeze. Landed at Curacao no problem. They put us on the earlier flight to Bonaire that was being held for us, delaying the people on board. That plane left the gate, taxied to the runway, sat for 10 mins, turned around and took us back to the gate. Mechanic comes on board to try to fix the apparent sensor indicator. We leave again, start up the engines, same thing. Back to gate, unload everyone. We go upstairs to the gate area, and within about 30 mins, they have us boarding yet another aircraft.

This one leaves successfully, and we get to Bonaire. But the really interesting part is that all our bags arrived as well, having been bounced across three different planes in Curacao.

Some people will see this whole thing as potentially a negative thing, but I travel a massive amount every year for work. And I have had lots of worse experiences with the big brand airlines.

Yes, DAE is a small operator. Yes, their planes are older. But 4 out of 4 years, they have got us where we planned to go, more or less on time, and with all our bags every time.

A way better record than I have had with many other airlines with cancelled flights, massive delays etc.

So, if you are thinking of transferring through Aruba, I can only recommend DAE based on past experiences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6123) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT, David. I have to agree also, we have flown them three times without delays. Now having said that, we are not impressed with their staff who generally switch between non-helpful and rude. The best I've seen is disinterested.

Let me qualify the above, our problems have all been with ground staff while the flight staff have been fine.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration