BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: CHICAGO/CUR/BONAIRE
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: CHICAGO/CUR/BONAIRE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone done a trip with AJ to Cur then one of the locals to Bonaire? I am looking at options to "convince" the bf to go - the options of DL via Atlanta are not sounding that great with the customs issues and time between flights that I've read so far . AA is just a nightmare with layovers - I will never get him to take a red eye with CO from Newark or Houston. If not then looks like I'll be going solo - just hate the exta single rates for staying places...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a new direct flight that Delta runs out of Atlanta that isn't a red eye if you're interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #86) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The out on the Atl flight isnt so bad its the return that is the killer - 2 hours or less to get baggage, customs, immigration. I difficult feat in Chicago - Atlanta would be a miracle. Suppose Ill keep on looking at the posts on the Atl flights and see what happens..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have done round trips several times with American Airlines through Miami to Curacao and then Divi Divi to Bonaire. I don;t know about Chicago-Miami connections, but we have had excellent results with the Miami-Curacao leg.
Vann Evans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Ill check out a trial trip and see what it comes up with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky H - To Bon in March (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1647) on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Angie, In order to do Chicago to Curacao then Bon on AA you will have to either overnight in Miami or in Curacao (unless DAE flies after 8pm, which I think it does. I prefer Divi Divi and they only fly daylight hours).

You used to be able to do the early (6am) flight to Miami and catch the 10am flight to Curacao, but AA changed their schedules and sadly, that route no longer gets you there in one day:-(

It looks like Air Jamaica still does the Chicago-Curacao route (through Montego Bay and only on Tuesdays) so that may be an option.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did a trial trip through Kayak on a Sat/Sat departure - looks like it will be o.k. last divi divi flight is at 1700 if all goes well should be o.k. I will still have to keep my eye out on options - not that AJ is the best option but better than AA or Delta from what I can see right now from the other BT'ers that have become Delta's guinea pigs..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margaret c wilson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello
Guinea Pig here. Delta had its way with me so now I am musing on line about options ex Boston.
Would the American flight from Boston to Curacao then Divi Divi to Bonaire work? Anyone done that so far? Can we only book Divi Divi through email and does that work? It seems to work on paper...but we know how that goes.
Always optimistic, but wary...
Marg W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So how was that Delta flight? full? American is always an option but it depends on where and how much time you spend in either Miami or San Juan - SJU is a long layover and generally over booked going out - but it depends on when you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've done that the last two years, Bos-MIA-Cur, got the Divi Divi flight at 3:30 or whatever - getting thru Curacao, upstairs for the tickets, back to the lounge didn't take long, time for a beer or 2 outside, in fact, as I remember. Into BON a lot earlier than AA via San Juan, time to shop and gain a good part of a day. Atlanta to BON this year since we've moved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margaret c wilson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to know how that Delta flight went,
check out my notes posted on "getting to Bonaire" re Delta Inaugural flight.
As noted above, flying down worked fine; getting back in was a real problem especially with a tight connection (in our case, a 2-hour layover was almost not enough). I am wary about doing BON again with them. We almost didn't make our flight home - and, finally, they did not have our luggage once we got home (it as delivered late the followign evening - so we had to stay around the house all day Sunday waiting).

Hence my curiosity about BOST - CUR then Divi Divi airlines to Bonaire. Sounds like it worked well for Larry.
...but he's lucked out anyway since he has now moved to Atlanta and doesn't have to worry abot connections from there...M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wiltzzy (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Angie;
I will be on the Chi-Bon route via Montego Bay in 7 days!! The worst of it looks like the 45min turnaround in M.B. I'm not going to count on checked bags arriving with me. As long as Me and my carry-on make it all else will be golden. I'll keep you posted.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration