BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: How many bags do you all take?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: How many bags do you all take?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and i used two stuff all our gear in just two bags and two carryons, but with the new weight restrictions we have expanded to three, two rollies and a duffle...is this wise with the small planes (AE)to BON or should we try to cut down to the 2 rollies only, plus carryons?
Any recent bad experiences?
thanks in advance
cory ><((((º>
.><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4375) on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

cory, we are from the OC area as well:-) eight trips, never any problems. My husband and I take 2 large bags each for all our gear/stuff. This way we can get each under 50 lbs. In our carry ons (small suitcase with rollers) we take regs, camera gear, fins, booties, change of clothes, bathing suit, and any meds/necessities...in case your luggage doesn't arrive with you, you have the essentials.

With AE, you will give them your carry-on as you board the plane in SJ and they give it back once you land. The overhead bins on that plane are small and won't hold a small roller suitcase.

Here is a great link with info about AA/AE SJ to Bon tips.

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/255870.html?1147724205

(Message edited by cyndelee on February 16, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #938) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We take 4 hard dive bags (2 med size and 2 lg size) and a carry on each, I also take a large purse that I put our meds and snacks in which then doubles as a beach type bag on island. We can get everything we take in the 4 bags and stay under the 50 lbs wt limit. We both have camera rigs that we take with us and that takes up a lot of the wt along with dive gear. If we did not take camera gear we could get by with 3 bags and a carryon each. It all depends on the amount of "stuff" you take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are snorkelers, so we don't have quite as much gear-we still have fins, snorkels, masks ,booties and wet suits each. These items, plus a few necessary clothes fit into 1 medium size bag each. However, we also take 2 large bags FULL of stuff for our studio at Sand dollar---curtains, bedspread, ceiling fan, picture frames, tools, etc.

On the return trip, the small/medium bags fit inside the large bags--so we return with only two bags. We finally figured this system out and it works great.--now we are going to start diving , so our "system" must be reworked!!
Vann Evans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Bennett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are so lucky. When flying DAE from Aruba, I am limited to ONE checked bag of 44lbs and ONE carryon of 20lbs.

It is tough, but it can be done (especially if you fudge a little on the carryon and make it look light!) All dive gear except fins go in carryon because I have been 5 days without gear when it was in check luggage.

Believe me, everything I take is small, and minimal clothes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Bennett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

PS: basic camera and charger and laptop in carry-on, strobe and lenses in checked. (At least I can take basic U/W pix if checked doesn't get there soon. I have been known to lash my fins to the carryon, too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #744) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For my last 2-week trip this past October it all fit into two (under 50#) large cuitcases and a legal carryon. I was able to fly AJ (sigh and sob).

I also will report that for the 3rd trip in a row now I've brought WAY too many clothes. lol Next trip just ONE pair of long pants for evenings, and maybe only 3 "Tourist Hawaian" silky short sleeve shirts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1240) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just remember the Europeans only get one large case with limit 20kg and one carry on bag with limit of 10kg, it would be bliss to have a bit more but it does concentrate the mind on the essentials :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Schoemaker (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I dont know bout other airlines but Continental waives the weight limit for dive equipment. At least they always have when I go to Cozumel.Just tell em its dive equipment when they see its overweight and they let it go. Having said that you may want to call and verify that they still do it and maybe your airline of choice has a similar policy most dont advertise it and it never hurts to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #273) on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The only thing to add, is a tip I read a while back on this board. For checked luggage, my spouse and I 'cross pack' this is not cross dressing mind you.

Half of my checked clothes and half of his (not that there is alot of either) gets into each of the two checked bags. So as happened in Aug 07 we had at least some of our stuff. The rest of the checked luggage made it a day or two later, AA via SJ. It did not stop us from diving, or dressing.

The essential dive gear, including BC, reg, computer, mask, fins, booties, wet suit one bathing suit, one cover up goes into a rolling carry on, and yes it weighs 30 pounds. And no one has ever weighed it, yet and we have flown AA, and Delta and US Air via Aruba. All the usual creative ways except for Cont.

I cannot comment on the number of checked bags, as we now have friends on the island for whom we are bringing stuff down to that usually weighs 20 - 40 pounds. So I know our personal checked stuff is 'light' and still we bring too much.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration