BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Clothes
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Clothes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Spitz (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is our first trip to Bonaire. My wife would like advise as to what type of clothes should she pack. I'm the shorts and sandal type but she would like the advise from some of the ladies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9655) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

shorts t's and sandals are good for the ladies as well.. If you attend church services perhaps a sundress would be nice.. I usually take twice as many bathing suits and a few coverups and that gets me into just about anywhere..Please make sure you are covered {not in just bathingsuits or wetsuits} if you go into town,},
you might want to take a pair of long light pants to wear in the evening to fend off the mosquitos that tend to hide under the tables at most restaurants.. At the very least wear DEET

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #847) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barton, Freddie is right on for women's attire. I would add that when going to dinner at a "less casual" place my husband "dresses up" by wearing a collared golf-style shirt and I usually wear nice shorts and top or a sundress. I only take two pairs of footwear -- my flip flops for the dive truck and my flip flops for dinner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4404) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wore a dress and heels to Cappricio's once...Just ask Susan! lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1568) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've said it before, and I know it's a little over kill on my part, but if I go downtown, I wear something that goes to my knees. If I go out to dinner downtown I wear a dress or skirt.

Yeah, the Bonaire citizens know we're tourists and yes, they give us a break for our casual attire, but I kind of try to look around and see what the local folks do and try to do that.

But heels, Cynde? You must be mad, my dear!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 5/9 (woo hoo) (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

During the day, I wear swimsuits and cover ups (either shorts/t-shirt or a dress-type cover up). I usually take one sundress just in case the urge strikes me to go a bit dressier one night (I might EVEN style my hair that night, too), but I still wear flip flops (not my dive ones, though). The rest of the time, for evening dining, its cargo shorts and a top....still flip flops, though.

Your wife should wear whatever makes her look and feel good :-) Remember, it's a vacation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #249) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dresses and skirts can very revealing with the strong trade winds :0) Here's my list: light weight cotton or Rayon pants at night for mosquito protection (then only feet need spraying). Water sandals for day. Nicer sandals for night. Sturdy sneakers, shorts, T's for trekking around. Capri pants and modest tops for in town. Hat with stiff brim and chin strap for wind proof sun protection. Shorts and T's are not welcome in church there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #848) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And Cynde's purse matched her heels ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1572) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please tell me no patent leather was involved...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Trip in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4652) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #939) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have found that gauchos and a nice t-shirt make a nice outfit for going out at night. you get the effect of a skirt with the comfort of pants. I take old Tevas for diving (I can't wear flip-flops), new Tevas for going out at night and wear tennis shoes on the plane and for treking.
suggest you lay out your clothes and then put half of them back, The first couple of times we made dive trips I came home with half of my clothes not worn. Take more than one bathing suit,you will need at the very least 2 as one will be wet/drying all the time.
As Freddie said don't wear your bathing suit or wet suit in town, cover them up. The people of Bonaire are modest people and do appreciate the tourist being modest also.
Have a good time. Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Gutman (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leave all but the most basic jewelry at home too. I have brought varying amounts in the past and find I don't even like to wear my wedding ring most of the time. When I dive it gets loose on my finger and I don't want to lose it. I also have to bring "sneakers" to go out on walks in the morning. Don't bother with makeup either, it's so hot & humid (unless you're used to that) that what you wear at home really doesn't work in the humidity. And, lastly, DEET is my new perfume while on Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4416) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The heels were black, but 2 inches or less, so they weren't THAT tall...lol...I bet everyone thought I was from that place across the street from Mi Banana...Prichi's????

I also agree with Natalie, the wind can give you a good Marilyn Monroe dress effect so take care. We also do as CB does, a little nicer at night, pants, nice shirt, etc....and with Diane, leave the jewlery at home. I end up putting my wedding ring in the safe when we get there, and rarely put it back on.

Diane, take care, DEET will eat your pedicure and make it look like you have hemoragic (sp) dengue if you happen to rub your feet together...waste of a beautiful pedicure...and a heart attack thinking you have dengue...

Off topic, but I was at the local drug store yesterday, and there were 5 young girls with sweatshirts, and bathing suit bottoms on...a lot inapropriate me thinks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 5/9 (woo hoo) (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I agree with leaving the jewelry at home. My rings ended up in the safe upon arrival, and they stayed there pretty much the whole trip. I'm leaving them at home next time...one less thing to worry about.

Boat chick, thanks for the heads-up on the Deet/pedicure. There's nothing I hate more than a messed up pedicure :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Bennett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a Bonaire "uniform" A Columbia SFP shirt that has hidden zip pockets and nylon medium length shorts with zip pockets. This outfit goes over bathing suits, keeps you relatively decent, and is a snap to wash and air dry.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration