BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: A question about customs
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: A question about customs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I noticed on Caribbean Club's page that Joep is a bit of a beer connoisseur. I emailed him to inquire about the beer selection at his bar and told him that I brew as a hobby. He told me that he'd like to try some homebrew, which is why I'm creating this post.

I've brought commercial beer back from Bonaire but have never taken any, much less homebrew. Where would be the best place for me to check on the legality of taking homebrew through customs?

Thanks for any help.

Aaron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #846) on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 12:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Beer for personal consumption should not present a problem considering the foodstuffs some of these folks have "imported" through customs.

I would be more afraid of it being "confiscated" by the baggage handlers in MIA and/or reacting poorly to pressure changes and arriving at Flamigo Airport with beer soaked dainties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By New York Giants Fan RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2109) on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You'd of course have to pack in your checked luggage and label it or it's a goner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I plan on packing a few, should a bottle vanish at SJU. lol They will be wrapped in neoprene and sealed in plastic for safety. So far I've not had any problems with commercial bottles.

I realized that I have a friend who does the inspections at the airport. Duh, I'll ask him about the legality. *slaps forehead*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #183) on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 8:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not sure what you mean about "packing a few," but perhaps you've forgotten about the prohibition on carrying-on any kinds of liquids, except in 3 oz or smaller bottles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Friday, February 8, 2008 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mel, you can pack a reasonable quantity of liquids in your checked baggage. You just can't carry more than 3oz in your carry on. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #184) on Friday, February 8, 2008 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there an echo in here? I thought that's what I just said...

(Message edited by tursiops on February 8, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Friday, February 8, 2008 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, guess I just didn't notice that you referred specifically to carry-on. I assumed it was understood that this would be in checked baggage. Yeah, yeah, I know...ass-u-me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #307) on Friday, February 8, 2008 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have visited Bonaire 15 times and have never been stopped at entry. However, this year for the first time ever, a woman in front of us was searched. As we exited I noted that her entire suitcase was emptied upon a table. I think she was just selected at random.

I don't know the rules about importing but there is a slight chance of being searched.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #114) on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check with the TSA, I seem to remember something about any alcohol needs to be "commercial" in origin to be allowed on flights.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration