BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air Jamacia from Atlanta, -Montego Bay - Bonaire I am safe??
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Air Jamacia from Atlanta, -Montego Bay - Bonaire I am safe??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By janet white on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Flying for the first time since 9/11 - leaving Atlanta, GA (Where idiots run past security in order to be on time for a football game) taking an Air Jamacia "airbus" ?? Anybody been there? Done that??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd McBride on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back (Miami, Montego Bay, Bonaire) on Air Jamacia and the trip was fine, but my luggage did not arrive until the next morning. If your luggage does not arrive, be very, very, very nice to the people at the check-in counter. I don't know if that made a difference for me, but I saw a man giving them hell about his missing bags and I saw him later that week and he still didn't have his bags (they probably sent them to Alaska).

I would make sure you carry-on your reg, computer, mask, and any other essential gear just in case your checked bags are delayed. I received several hand inspections of my reg, but they never had a problem with it. Make sure your dive knife, snipps, and batteries are in your checked luggage and you shouldn't have any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Oglesby on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't been either, but I will be venturing there via Air Jam in early March out of Hartsfield. I figure if I can get past Hartsfield, then I can get past anything. Wish me luck!

I echo Todd's sentiments about being nice to airport personnel. I never really understood those moronic travelers who take out their frustrations on airline personnel who aren't even directly responsible for their lost/delayed luggage. I always try to think of ways to motivate them to help me, not give them reasons to not help me. Just common sense really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Schroedel on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 10:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brent,

If only this were so,"I figure if I can get past Hartsfield, then I can get past anything." You may need some luck and patience departing Bonaire. Have a great trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Oglesby on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's what I've heard Al. The good thing is that patience will be in great supply at that time because I won't be in a hurry to get back home to (dare I say) reality! I can honestly say that I have no qualms about calling the office to report that I was unavoidably detained on a dreaded little island in the Caribbean.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Papa Nut on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There will be no problem. I have done this trip several times.. Just dont freak out when you are late for your AJ connections in MBO.. they know you are late and will hold the plane.

Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ did not hold the flight for us last March. We had to overnight there and our bags went to Baltimore even though we were supposed to go to Boston. March is college break time in Jamaica and some flights are overbooked and if you are late they will go without you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Papa Nut on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bummer!

Well maybe they have softened up casue on our return flight last week we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours waiting for two people on an otherwise full plane!

But hey.. you cannot worry about things you cannot control ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

they might wait on return flights... but don't count on them waiting for the flight to bonaire. But they put us up at a nice resort in jamaica, gave us upgrade coupons, and after a few other problems, gave us 2 first class tickets to go back to bonaire !! If you have to deal with customer service in Montego Bay, just try and be patient and polite... they move at their own pace, but were very helpful overall. I wish I had written down the airjamaica rep's name that helped us... he went above and beyond. If you do miss the connection to Bonaire, they'll probably have to re-route you back to miami to pick up american, or some other crazy routing... 'cause they probably aren't flying to bonaire the next day or 2... Ask for the Wyndham resort, and get the address for customer service... I was surprised at how well my letter to customer service worked.

Being stuck in Jamaica is better than being at work :) I think :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vivian Dietrich on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 9:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just did AJ from LAX to Montego Bay to Bonaire last week. Not a single problem with the airlines. Only problem was a 6-hour layover in Montego Bay which began at 6 a.m. On the way back the plane left Bonaire early (I guess the manifest showed all passengers aboard). Easily made the connection in Montego Bay. Arrived at LAX right on time. All baggage survived and arrived with us.

Only one small aside to trip. At Bonaire airport we bought some refrigerator magnets that were also can openers. Luggage had already been checked and so they were in our carry-ons. Got all the way to LAX that way. Leaving LAX next morning for last segment to Reno, they found the magnets/can openers. The lady was so nice and said they would like good on her refrigerator. They let us keep them.

Has anyone else noticed that after you go through xray and hand examination of carry-ons, you can buy razors, cigarette lighters, and many other things that are confiscated at xray? Seems security still lacks in airports.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration