BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Chicago O'Hare Hotel Recommendation
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Chicago O'Hare Hotel Recommendation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1219) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 12:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have an overnight layover in Chicago for our upcoming trip to Bonaire. Don't need anything fancy but require clean, safe and airport shuttle. Any recommendations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael S. Contratto (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I travel out of O'Hare quite a bit. We have tried various hotels around O'Hare and have found the
Holiday Inn Express
CHICAGO-ARLINGTON HEIGHTS
2120 SO ARLINGTON HEIGHTS RD
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60005 UNITED STATES

as the best deal around. The hotel is very small and quiet. It has a free breakfast (as do all holiday inn Express) and there are a couple of restaurants in walking distance. The shuttle is a little bit of a haul (10 minutes) but it gets you out of the O'Hare immediate area.

Rates start at $68 bucks for advance purchase. We due a park and fly in Feb 8th to Bonaire and it is $99 for the hotel and parking for the week.

We have also stayed at the Holiday inn Select CHICAGO-OHARE (ROSEMONT) which has a Harry Carey's in the hotel and a great bar. The rooms are VERY nice and rates start at $90. It is just north of O'Hare.

Both meet your requirements, clean, safe and Airport Shuttle. The first will save a little money and be quite. The second is a little more up scale, more exciting with the bar and harry Carey's and will mean arranging your own breakfast.

I have also stayed at a couple of dives south on Mannhiem and the Doubletree. The Doubletree was nice but not good value for the money. The dives were... well dives!

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1222) on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Michael, that's just the info I am looking for from the experienced Chicago traveler. Breakfast is a non issue as our outgoing flight to SJU is at 7 am so 4:30 am is usually too early for any hotel breakfast. It's usually airport fare on our travel days. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael S. Contratto (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda,

I just check and the ARLINGTON HEIGHTS Holiday inn Express shuttle does not start until 0700. So we just switched to the Holiday Inn Select. $124 bucks and two weeks of free covered parking!We are also staying there on the return!

Are you flying AA to San Juan?

We pack bagels and Cream Cheese. We leave them in the car and pick them up before we get on the shuttle to the airport.

Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1223) on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,
DEN-ORD-SJU-BON We fly using "miles" so AA picks the route and dates. :-) We usually overnight in Dallas or Miami. Last year they sent us through Curacao instead of SJU.

We drive 3 hours to DEN, park at a hotel and stay a night either on the way or return. This year we'll stay on the return as we arrive in DEN after 9 pm. It's a lot of travel days but worth it.

I appreciate the recommendation on the Holiday Inn Select. Have a great trip. Is it soon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael S. Contratto (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 5:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is it soon?

Well, Yes and No. I leave in less then two weeks for a scuba trip. That one is by myself and it is a Frequent Flyer ticket. PIA ORD SJU BON on the way down. On the way back I hit Fort Lauderdale airport. BON SJU FLL ORD PIA on the way back.

On Feb 9th my wife and I go down for a Snorkel trip. We are flying Air Jamaica therefore have to drive up the night before. It stretches out the break by including the night before and the night afterward. We then do a little shopping up in Chicago before driving 3 hours back to Peoria.

Have a great time and let me know how you like the Holiday Inn Select.

Mike C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs visiting Becky next weekend!!!!!!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5320) on Sunday, January 6, 2008 - 12:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Linda! I'm going to support the Holiday Inn as well. We used it for our first very early flight to Bon. Now we just take the limo from the house. For us it is about the same cost. When do you layover in Chicago? Maybe we can try to meet for dinner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1226) on Sunday, January 6, 2008 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs, sounds great BUT our plane gets in around 9 pm and we head for airport at 5 am. Not long enough for a mini-meet but too long to camp out in the airport.

Thanks for the 2nd recommendation on the Holiday Inn. Sounds like that's the place. The bad thing about these overnight layovers is we have to gather the baggage and cart it back and forth. Someday I'd like to leave home in my Bonaire arrival clothing! :-) Instead I have to be prepared for cold weather in Chicago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Carrier (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Monday, January 7, 2008 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last November we also stayed at the Holiday inn Select CHICAGO-OHARE (ROSEMONT). We took advantage of the stay and fly, on the way to Bonaire, and used normal rates when we returned.

Having the shuttle is a nice way to get to the airport, they drop you off, and pick you up by the international terminals.
Next year, if we again fly out of Chicago, we'll stay with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs visiting Becky next weekend!!!!!!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5322) on Monday, January 7, 2008 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bummer Linda! I would have loved to meet. I do understand the issues with frequent flyer tickets. I booked my most recent trip five months in advance and AA has me on the oddest route. Multiple layovers make me nervous - too easy to lose luggage.

Have a great trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Seibold (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not the cheapest, but the easiest is the Hilton at Ohare. No shuttle, and its a 5 minute walk (inside) to security from the lobby. You'll easily get an extra 30+ minutes of sleep in the AM (since you won't use a shuttle)

(Message edited by paulseibold on January 13, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael S. Contratto (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul,

The price is not to Bad. $144 for a pay in advance room Vs $90 for the Holiday Inn Select. Never considered the Hilton because I doubt if they have a stay N fly rate!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration