BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Transporting regulator/computer
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Transporting regulator/computer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #608) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How do you transport your dive gear to Bonaire. We've always put our regs, computers in our carry-on. Hubby wants to pack it. Is that a safe way to bring it down. Lots of hot and cold temperatures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Back in March (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3485) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always pack our in the Dive Bag between the fins and BCDs - Never had a problem so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I pack reg wrapped around the BC then add a bit of air in BC for some cushion from the airport gorillas. Good thing, AJ ruined my bag on trip in Dec. smashed/ripped) and of course no compensation. My computer I generally put in carry on with my camera gear and lap top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #260) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In one rolling carryon, my computer/reg tucked inside my BC, with fins and dive suit. Mask in my day back with toys and snacks. Good to go when they misplace the luggage. We do this independent of which airline we fly. On the way home, we still carry the reg/computer in the carry on.. way too expensive to replace. I know it is a bit 'paranoid' but no worries.

The only place we has 'let go' of the carry on is in SJU and in Cur. BTW, in CUR when flying on DAE (or whatever it was then called)I watched them unload the carry on which they had 'red tagged' in Aruba. I was watching because someone on this web site had experienced that. I spoke up loudly and they returned it to the plane. This of course of NOT an issue when making the transfer to Divi. Divi is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #610) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone. It's going in the carry-on!
We'll see everyone in 28 days. Woo-hoo!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1327) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

marge, we always used to pack the regs, padded with bc's, wetsuits, etc. mary's reg is home now, had it overhauled after our last trip so we'll be taking it with us. we're having the same discussion. she wants it in the carry-on, i think it's fine in checked luggage. when we see you in four weeks i'll let you know what we did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6579) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We pack our regs, computers in our carry-on, B/C in checked.
Marge: we got the same countdown! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reza Gorji (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Reg/computer and mask go into my carryon.
I prefer to check them in but past experience has shown that if you get to BON on a smaller plane, your luggage may not arrive in time. The dive shops are VERY accomodating when they hear your gear has not arrived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6585) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, thanks, Reza, mask is in carry on too! Guess I am spoiled as I have most of my stuff on island most of the time. Had to really think when I always had to pack it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Tom** (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #5916) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't use other people's life support, wetsuit and without my prescription masks I might as well sit at a beach bar. Have had trips where luggage did not arrive for half of the vacation, so mine go in my carry on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1331) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

tom, you're talking about sitting at a beach bar like it's a bad thing. we always took mary's prescription mask in our carry-on but checked everything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #613) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 9:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What time do arrive Debbie? Are you on the red -eye?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6588) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marge, not this time around, did the red-eye last two trips, but flying AA due to time of year, wasn't quite ready to do the Newark red-eye in winter yet, knowing how much Newark closes at the drop of a snowflake etc. I know, the red-eye spoils you, we are in for a long layover in San Juan, but that's o.k., Bonaire is worth it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #614) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, If I got to do two trips or more a year, I wouldn't mind doing the layover either. You're a lucky lady. How about that Grandchild. When is he/she due to arrive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6590) on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April 10th, I can't wait! Hope to see you on island~ :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Bennett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #106) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

After being without my checked baggage for 5 days in Bonaire in Dec 2006, I carry the whole diving outfit in a carry-on. (and strap the fins on the outside!). Clothes and accessories in the checked luggage, I don't care as much if they are late. Sometimes I gamble with the fins and check them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg nixon (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On previous trips, with connecting flights, my preference was to carry my reg/computer & mask (with prescription lenses). Everything else was checked since I wasn't worried about finding replacements for less "personal" items should my luggage go missing.

Having recently travelled on Continental's non-stop I expect that I'll check everything next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3269) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'd carry that mask! I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1466) on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we have mary's reg and dive computer in my carry-on..mostly because we had to eliminate some weight from one of our suitcases....that stuff adds up. so...regardless of what we planned to do, it'll be in the carry-on.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration