BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: New Rules for Extra Lithium Batteries
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-10-01 to 2007-12-31: New Rules for Extra Lithium Batteries
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #573) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Friday, December 28, 2007

Tel.: (202) 366-4831

New US DOT Hazmat Safety Rule to Place Lithium Battery Limits in Carry-on Baggage on Passenger Aircraft Effective January 1, 2008

Passengers will no longer be able to pack loose lithium batteries in checked luggage beginning January 1, 2008 once new federal safety rules take effect. The new regulation, designed to reduce the risk of lithium battery fires, will continue to allow lithium batteries in checked baggage if they are installed in electronic devices, or in carry-on baggage if stored in plastic bags.

Common consumer electronics such as travel cameras, cell phones, and most laptop computers are still allowed in carry-on and checked luggage. However, the rule limits individuals to bringing only two extended-life spare rechargeable lithium batteries (see attached illustration), such as laptop and professional audio/video/camera equipment lithium batteries in carry-on baggage.

"Doing something as simple as keeping a spare battery in its original retail packaging or a plastic zip-lock bag will prevent unintentional short-circuiting and fires," said Krista Edwards, Deputy Administrator of the U.S. Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.

Lithium batteries are considered hazardous materials because they can overheat and ignite in certain conditions. Safety testing conducted by the FAA found that current aircraft cargo fire suppression system would not be capable of suppressing a fire if a shipment of non-rechargeable lithium batteries were ignited in flight.

"This rule protects the passenger," said Lynne Osmus, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) assistant administrator for security and hazardous materials. "It's one more step for safety. It's the right thing to do and the right time to do it."

In addition to the new rule, PHMSA is working with the FAA, the National Transportation Safety Board, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the battery and airline industries, airline employee organizations, testing laboratories, and the emergency response communities to increase public awareness about battery-related risks and developments. These useful safety tips are highlighted at the public website: http://safetravel.dot.gov.

###

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if they would allow more than two if they were packed in the plastic battery carriers that hold 4-12 batteries?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6366) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the "heads up", Jan. I had not heard about this change yet. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob...packing now! (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2425) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

use ni-cad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian back in March (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3455) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I bring about 40 plus Ni-MH which are in plastic boxes to keep them safe and apart. I wouldn't want them in my carry on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kim charton (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, I am leaving today and just checked Continental's web site regarding batteries and they say only 2 extra allowed per person. Are they kidding?? Do you know know how many rechargable batteries we bring along for our underwater camera and lights?? Anyone travel since the new regulations? Always something new, sigh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #582) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kim, This is a new Government ruling. If you bring more then the 2 extra batteries, and they are found, plan on tossing them at security. Remember they also need to be placed in the original packaging or in individual plastic bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1282) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

These are"LITHIUM" Battries! Not all batteries will be limited...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #584) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 8:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, Yes you are correct. I should have said, if you plan on taking more than 2 extra LITHIUM batteries and they are found, plan on tossing them at security.
If you noticed the first post, maybe you would have read that the article was pertaining to LITHIUM batteries. I would assume that most of us would have noticed that! And I am sure that Continental's web site mentioned LITHIUM batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 9:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just quickly read the Gov notice referred to in the initial post above. It lists various limits based on the lithium content. Does anyone know how much lithium is in a AA battery? Maybe this does not apply to them. The notice said something about large batteries. I don't have any with me at the moment so I have no idea of the lithium content. I need to do more research but maybe someone has the answer. If this does not apply to AA's it would still be a good idea to take a copy of the notice with you, "just in case".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From Undercurrent Online Update, today:

Department of Transportation spokesperson Patricia Kliger told Undercurrent that the checked-baggage ban on loose lithium batteries of all sizes was primarily put in place for industrial-size batteries, like those used in heavy-duty audio/video equipment, because they can pose a significant fire hazard. The new restrictions do not have much of an effect on consumer electronics, however, you may not pack ANY spare lithium batteries in your checked bags. It is okay to check your gear as long as batteries are installed in them. Other rules for traveling with spare lithium batteries :

* You can bring batteries with up to an 8-gram equivalent lithium content in your carryon bags. All lithium ion batteries in cell phones are below the 8-gram equivalent lithium content. Nearly all laptop computer batteries and those used by photographers and dive computers also are below this quantity threshold.
* You can also bring up to two spare batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any number of batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold.
* For a lithium metal battery, whether installed in a device or carried as a spare, the limit on lithium content is 2 grams of lithium metal per battery.
* Almost all consumer-type lithium metal batteries are below 2 grams of lithium metal. But if you are unsure, contact the manufacturer!

Remember all spare batteries you carry with you should be in the original case, in individual plastic bags, or have tape over their contacts.

For the detailed information and to track changes, go to http://safetravel.dot.gov

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Schoemaker (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"For personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. That includes cell phone batteries, “hearing aid" button cells, and AA/AAA batteries available in retail stores, as well as almost all standard laptop computer batteries. However, you may carry no more than two larger batteries, in the range of 100 – 300 watt hour rating. These include some extended life laptop computer batteries, such as the “universal” lithium ion battery pictured below."
Taken from the link provided. The excerpts you quoted are out of context and miss leading.
Lithium metal as opposed to lithium ion batteries are non rechargeable. It is these non rechargeable batteries that they seem to have the biggest beef with. As far as lithium ion rechargeable you can carry as many batteries that are under 8 grams each as you want (ie aa size)and up to 2 large batteries with a lithium content of more than 8 but less than 25 grams each.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration