BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: CON almost $1300!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-10-01 to 2007-12-31: CON almost $1300!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

*GACK!* OK, help me out here, experienced BTers... I'm taking my first trip to Bonaire in April/May, and I got my ticket a while ago at a fair price ($700 something...)

I have a new dive buddy, and he was thinking about making the trip with me, but the tickets for my flight on Continental are up to almost $1300!!! _Delta_ isn't even that expensive!

Is this something normal? Do the ticket prices for BON go up and down like this a lot? My buddy and I would like to travel together, but not for half again what other airlines are charging.

Thanks for the info, y'all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Patrick who herds sharks on Bonaire** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2521) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They sure do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Gutman (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try www.yapta.com for tracking the price of certain flights. I have just joined so can not tell you for sure how well it works but, in theory it sounds like it should work well for the Bonaire price issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We encountered the same thing with Continental earlier this year. Give it a few weeks and it will probably drop back down. You can also check flying out of different cities. We can fly from Austin cheaper than flying direct from Houston at times.

BTW, the yapta page looks interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the information, everyone - I'll check out yapta and see what there is to see. :-)

Less than 4 months to go - yippie!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3324) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 9:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Teri,
Good luck to your dive buddy and his planning! I can just FEEL your excitement!!! Weeee....you're gonna love Bonaire!

(Message edited by ayorkiemom on December 29, 2007)

(Message edited by ayorkiemom on December 29, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Papp (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Booked two roundtrippers...under $1000 for both on Continental this evening...but I am not thrilled with a 5:45AM arrival.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #544) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, upon arrival one person stays to retrieve bags while the other goes straight for the rental car. Normally both are done about the same time. If both wait for bags the rental car line is killer long. As a plus, you get to dive on your arrival day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3381) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott,

We did the Newark red eye for the first time on our July trip. Wasn't so bad. Do as Ron advises and you'll be fine and have salt water in your hair before noon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm thinking the red eye won't be a problem - I can sleep on planes and hopefully will stay snuggled up against the window and not cuddle the poor strangers sitting next to me. :-)

I just checked again and the Saturday/Sunday flights are $900, and the Fri/Sat flights are down to $1100. Hopefully they will keep getting lower, but if I end up there solo, so be it.

I just bought a few new dive toys for a nice three day spring diving trip later this week... I can't wait to use my gear in Bonaire though!!

Yippie!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3386) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Teri, could see ya there. The way my calendar's looking it may be April before we get back to BON. Enjoy your three day spring diving!

There is a thread here somewhere where Kathy and Linda did the Manatee's in the springs :-) They live in your neck of FL; at least Kathy does.

Have a great time and let know how your dive goes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kobi! If you're there, we'll definitely have to meet and say hello!

The springs should be fun, especially since they are 72degrees year round and the air temp here is forecast to be about 65 - it'll feel great! I've done the manatees before... it's neat, and the grouper troopers (aka Fish&Game Police) are good at keeping people from harrassing them.

I'll give a dive report on Sunday! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Wednesday, January 2, 2008 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Went on Continental today, flight was 680 dollars for the end of April, coming back first weekend in May.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Wednesday, January 2, 2008 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awesome Lisa, thanks! I'll let my dive buddy know! :-)

-Teri

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Teri's 1st trip to BON April 2008!! (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Monday, January 7, 2008 - 8:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To Kobi and anyone else interested....

Diving this week in the Florida springs was great - I went with a new buddy (always fun!) who had never been, but he's always up for an adventure! This guy is great. :-)

We did Blue Grotto - not overly exciting but pretty and the deepest of the bunch at 85 feet. Killed my new dive watch somehow, but that's what receipts are for. :-) Later that day we did Devil's Den, which is an underground sinkhole type formation. Stunning from land and really amazing underwater. Lots of swim throughs, fossils in the walls, and a total 'cave' experience without the abject fear! Fairly shallow - only about 40ft for the whole dive, and vis was icky at about 15 feet, so the lady who runs the place gave us a discount on our next visit, which was nice.

Next day we did Ginnie Springs, both the cavern and the triad of little springs that lead into cave systems. Ginnie was crystal clear with loads of fish, great vegetation, and hardly anyone in the spring! I finally looked upwards and saw how gorgeous the ceiling of the cavern is, and really enjoyed all that. The little springs that afternoon were loaded with fish too, who enjoyed the leftover bread from lunch to the point of swarming us and biting the camera. Two of the springs are little crevices, which are amazing when you can drop to the bottom and look up past these rock walls rising beside you, and see the trees hanging over. We stayed out of the cave divers' way and just totally enjoyed the upper portions of the springs.

Weather was incredible - highs of mid 70's and clear skies. Perfect diving! Great weekend all around.

3 months and 19 days to Bonaire! YAY! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia *** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3652) on Monday, January 7, 2008 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Teri,
Woo Hoo....sounds like you had fun! Glad you got a discount, at Blue Grotto, for that return trip! Now you have to go back :-)

Like your Bonaire countdown; I need to work on mine!!!

Take care.....

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration