BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: General travel recommendations
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: General travel recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Beban on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just back from 3 weeks in Bonaire. We flew United to MIA and ALM to CUR-BON. I won't go into all the details, but we experienced a side trip to Haiti (along with about 150 Haitians and an unbelievable amount of luggage the day after the coup) and an overnight stay (courtesy of ALM) at the Plaza in Curacao. From what we learned, I have some general recommendations:
1) Be flexible - the information you get from this newsgroup, and even directly from the airlines, is changing frequently. If you book too far in advance, the flights will probably change. Don't let that stop you from booking though. If your flight or airline changes, something will fill the gap. You'll be able to get to Bonaire.
2) Stand up for your rights - we saw many people buy new tickets from ALM/DCE for CUR-BON. Don't do it. Keep asking to speak to supervisors until they relent. That worked for us. If it doesn't work for you, DON'T buy anything from ALM/DCE. Patronize Divi Air or Chogogo. Many better options will fill the void when ALM/DCE is finally put out of it's misery. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.
3) Book to Aruba and worry about getting to Bonaire later. Plan a couple days in Aruba. It's a nice place. There will always be a local demand for weekend flights between Aruba and Bonaire. If American Eagle is pulling out, something else will fill the gap. I hear a ferry between Aruba and Curacao is being considered.
4) Book to Curacao and worry about getting to Bonaire later. Although I don't really like to recommend patronizing Curacao (because the government is greedy and has always skimmed Bonaire tourist dollars (just my opinion!)), you will easily be able to get to Bonaire. Divi Air and the ferry are very cost-effective, popular ways to do it.
5) Be flexible - did I say that already?
6) Go to Bonaire soon - the weather is great, the diving is still magnificent and the economy needs your support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

good for you Shelley..we concur with your advise! and hope it all works for us when it's our turn to go to Bonaire.. soon... we traded in our Alm tickets when it was still Alm for AA because we did'nt have any confidence in them( and that is after 7 years of travel with them as an airline...too bad)..nowadays if we just get there...and safe seems to be the main issue..travel has indeed changed, but Bonaire still needs our interest and $$ to support their great marine protection program and clean island

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration