BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AJ from BWI- short connection time.
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-10-01 to 2007-12-31: AJ from BWI- short connection time.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spicy Mad (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to Bonaire for our first time in 2 days (“Woooohoooo!!!!”).

Taking the AJ flight from BWI and connection time is unrealistically scary short (“ah…...ut-oh!”)!

I have read comments of many BTer’s that have never had problem with this in the ump-te-ump times that they have made the trip and that they (AJ) “hold the plane” for those making the connection a little late.

That seems all well and good for the passenger with carry-on only, but what about those with checked bags? (That is assuming that the checked bags have a fighting chance and actually made it on to the plane bound for Montego Bay and not some other plane.)

I realize that bad news tends to travel faster than good, yet in the two months or so of my researching this- I have yet to hear of a BTer who has taken the AJ\BWI flight (within that time frame) who have (or have not) had a problem with their luggage making the connection and arriving with them in Bonaire on the intended day of arrival.

I would think that someone (current BTer otherwise) would have visited Bonaire via the infamously short AJ\BWI connection time within the last two months, yet no posts.

Any assuring comments would be greatly appreciated.

Crossing my fingers,

Spicy_Mad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

mY experience from Chicago is AJ is never on time leaving Montego Bay, but would pack your necessities in carry on.. Just in case..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Dorsette (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did the BWI/BON 2 summers ago w/ my 2 adult children. I thought it was a bit short on the connection myself but you pretty much go in one door and out another. You may feel a bit like cattle while waiting for the BON flight but...Hey you're going to Bonaire. Lucky. All luggage made it. The best thing you can say is the flight was uneventful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Freeman (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The AJ flight from Bon to Montego Bay was 1 1/2 hours late leaving Bon on Oct. 27th. They held the other flights in MB, but we missed our connection in Atlanta because of it. I was not a very happy camper, especially since AJ absolutely DESTROYED my luggage. Imagine seeing your suitcase coming down the carousel with your wetsuit and undies hanging out!!! AJ claims they did no wrong, I disagree. Next trip to Bon will be on a different airline since this is the second time AJ has caused me to miss a connection in Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've often taken BWI-MBJ-BON with a group. Only once have we missed the connection on the way down; too many times we've missed it on the way back, most recently in October. They sent us to JFK, gave us too few rooms in a crappy hotel, after 3h in bed they sent us back to the airport and flew us to BWI Sunday morning. No apology, no free tickets, no nothing. and it cost us more for extra baggage handling, food, tips.

We've had left-luggage problems with AA but not AJ.

I do not miss AJ's exit from the market. Good riddance.

(Message edited by tursiops on November 8, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #257) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is critical here is packing your carry on.
Reg and computer, mask and BC. wetsuit and fins.

Ok, a toothbrush, one pair of swimsuit, shorts and a top. That is essential. We can get that all in our carry on rolling bag and day pack. (a book to read. and a laptop.)

Who cares if the bags don't make it. WE have not done this connection for a few years, but the rules about carry on, independent of which airlines, still applies. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2470) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have done that flight upmteen times; most recently in April and again in July. We go with AJ every year out of BWI to MON and then to BON. Never had problems with tight connections.

We fly first class and our bags are last on first off and they always make it to our next plane despite the OJ Simpson maneuvers we make in the airport in MON. We have, many times, experienced them holding the plane. There are always at least 1/2 our plane that's going to Bonaire so it behooves them to ensure they get everyone to their respective planes.

GO, have fun!!! I am sure it will all be good. We'll miss the BWI AJ flights for sure, in this house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don,

Little late to post on this topic, but I was on that same flight from Bonaire on 10-27. Anyway, I will miss AJ from BWI to BON. One: they get into Bonaire in the early afternoon. Two: no matter what you think of airline food, they do at least serve some type of breakfast or dinner to us poor coach passengers. Omlett or French toast. Chicken or pasta. The AJ terminal at BWI has no vendors what-so-ever for a quick breakfast. Usually do a park and fly, and a continental breakfast at the hotel does nothing for me.

Maybe I have been lucky, but out of 4 trips on AJ to Bonaire, I have never missed a bag going down, but on the way back......twice!! Guess there is a big problem with return flights..But, I'd rather have it happen on the way back....My luggage arrived the next day intact!

Anyway, call me an old fart, but I HATE layovers, and getting to where I am going late at night. I want to get on a plane in the morning, and get off in the afternoon. I think we all need to start at looking at flights to Aruba or Curacao. Both AA and US Air have flights that arrive in Aruba at 12:45 PM. Ought to be enough time to make a connecting flight to Bonaire at 2 or 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Freeman (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tad, I must be an "old fart" too because I also hate layovers. The AJ flights were always best because of the departure and arrival times. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, and hence,we have no AJ service here. I either have to fly to Balt. or Atl for the AJ connection. Can't get to Baltimore in time for the departure, unless we fly the day before and stay over at a hotel. We would have to overnight in Balt on the return trip also. It does cost me more, but the connection in Atl is really the best for us. That part of the AJ service I will miss, but heck, they NEVER get me back to Atl on time anyway, so I have to overnight none the less. What really got me upset this trip was the fact that they destroyed my luggage. BTW.... I still have not heard anything back from them and doubt that I ever will. By any chance, were you with a group on this trip? My daughter and I had the pleasure to meet and "sort of" dive with a few people from your area at Oil Slick. One guy in particular I remember, because I seemed to see him all over the island. He had long grey hair that he wore in a pony tail. I swear that I saw him EVERYWHERE that week. LOL I was just wondering if perhaps you were with his group, or perhaps you ARE him? Yep, looks like I'll be exploring the flights to Aruba and or Curacao next year. I can't let a little thing like "you can't get there from here" stop me from going to my favorite Caribbean dive destination, which is of course, Bonaire !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don,

Sorry about the luggage! Sounds like if you flew to Atlanta, you were probably using Delta? Starting in Feb, Delta is flying from ATL to BON on Saturdays. Gets in at 3:10 PM. Check out sidestep.com. Searches all the major airlines and discounters. Delta prices are all over the map, depending on the week. However, the same US based carrier, all the way, might be a benefit? Making connections, luggage issues, overnights, etc.

I'm not the guy with the ponytail, but I saw him on the plane, as well at 3 or 4 different sites. He really got his moneys worth on the unlimited air! Also saw some guys from Tennessee quite a bit. This was my 5th trip to Bonaire, but my first to meet Captain Don! There's a pic of us together on my "profile". He's a cool guy!!

Never been on a trip with a group, unless another couple counts. Found it cheaper to book it myself. Stay in condos, and take a cooler of food down. Only eat out a couple of times a week. Buy air several months in advance as well as book my condo. I've found that I can turn a budget for 2 Caribbean gigs a year, into three. I'm not just an "Old Fart". I'm a cheap one as well.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration