BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air Jamaica pulls out of Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: Air Jamaica pulls out of Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2892) on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ronella Croes announced the discontinuation of service to Bonaire March 8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where has this been announced? When I called customer service today, they said nothing about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2613) on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is one place: http://www.bonaireinsider.com/ .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2893) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ronella Croes, the Director of Tourism announced it today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #707) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As someone who is flying out of Chicago on Air Jamaica TOMORROW MORNING!!!!!!, let me just say that the subject line of this thread scared the crapola out of me -LOL

It's unfortunate that AJ doesn't want to stay in the game and compete into this market, but I suppose it's 'nice' that they gave 6 months warning to prospective travellers?

Time to start looking into flights to Atlanta, Houston or New Jersey for the next trip I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robby (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is not good :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2894) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If Delta (DL is servicing ATL BON and DL is a partner of Air Jamaica (JM)..then it makes sense to pull out ....I will miss seeing the plane arrive...when it was good, man it was good. 10 hours door to door from Cape Cod to BON.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #408) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is kind of to be expected. As Ann says, Air Jamaica was a Delta partner. I would bet that 80% of the Air Jamaica traffic to Bonaire was sold by Delta or got to Montego Bay on a Delta codeshare. If Delta starts to route that traffic through Atlanta, AJ has no passengers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1108) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is really a shame! We have a AJ Seventh Heaven credit card earning air miles on AJ :-( I guess we will fly Delta. No American for sure...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky H - finally a countdown (6 mo) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1461) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, my dive shop is going to have to find alternate flights... were supposed to take AJ on March 15. Not anymore I guess :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6127) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would think that all tickets that AJ has SOLD prior to the announcement would be switched to another airline by AJ and also be given a chance for a refund. I would think that is good business as AJ is not folding, just stopping from flying to Bonaire. Have any of you talked with AJ as to what happens now? May be worth a call as you may not have to find another airline for more $$$ than you shelled out already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1109) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky, March/08 should be OK? AJ's last flight is in May...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1110) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ooop's it is the other way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2614) on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, maybe you can comment on what follows from your experience in the travel business.

If, as you posit above, AJ and DL 'code share", is it possible that the 'change' in carrier to Bonaire is an action planned together by both to let AJ further consolidate it's route structure? It would seem to make sense for all parties, including North American travelers to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, as of today ( THANKS Susan, you're the best ) I am officially booked on the Delta flight. AJ rerouted me for no additional cost.

I called Delta to reconfirm that we were on the flights and we're on the list.

( Breathing a big sigh of relief )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #643) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just for clarity-this does not begin until March, correct? We have AJ flights in November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #532) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to hear the good news. Now you can relax, and plan for a fun filled vacation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1120) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 5:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary, your OK...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2896) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello

I contacted the head of Sales at Air Jamaica and asked him what people should do. This is his reply:

They should contact Air Jamaica reservations at 800-523-5585.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, I did this several times and with each person I spoke to, I got a different answer. It was actually quite frustrating.

When I first called, I specifically asked if I could be put on the Delta Flight. I was told no, I needed to call back WITH my credit card number to get a full refund. When I asked why I needed to give the number again, I was told they didn't keep card numbers ( which sounded very strange ). When I got home, I called again, this time I was told I didn't need the card number. I was told a refund would take 6-8 weeks to process. I told that rep that the time frame was unacceptable as I paid for the tickets 2 days prior and at that point AJ had to have known that they were selling me tickets I'd never use- AND it certainly didn't take them 6-8 weeks to BILL my card.

I then called CapitolOne to complain. My biggest problem was that even though I used a cc to pay, I'd already pulled cash from my savings to pay in full. Even though I'd used a CC, my cash was now tied up indefinately. I was informed by CapitolOne, that legally they only had 30 days to refund my money, after that I could send in documentation on the flight/dates etc and they could go in for me and get my money back. I called AJ again, same exact story. I was being processed for a refund and it would take 6-8 weeks.

Yesterday, Sue sent me a link to a thread that someone in my boat had gotten AJ to book them on the Delta flight. I called AJ AGAIN. I again asked if this was an option, was told that the refund had been requested, and I informed the sales girl that I'd been told in earlier calls that was my only option. She put me on hold to speak to a supervisor. When she came back, she told me I COULD be put on the Delta flight. I told her yes, go ahead. She confirmed the flight with Delta. After I hung up, I called Delta myself, to make sure my name and dates showed up on their flight roster and they did.

Anyone who's currently dealing with this situation, I understand how frustrating it is. The only suggestion I can give is to keep calling until you get what you want. If I'd stopped after the first phone call, I'd be waiting 6-8 weeks to get a refund on AJ and then shelling out an additional 900 for the Delta flight.

BTW, ( my mother owns a travel agency and I book all of my own trips and travel pretty frequently ) It was not lack of experience taking so long for a resolution. It was the song and dance with AJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daphne T Felix (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had reservations for July, 2008 on AJ. When AJ announced their pull out I contacted our travel agent. The next day he told me that AJ had automatically re-booked us on American Airlines. The flight times suck, with a 5 hour wait in San Juan, but at least we have flights at the same price. I checked Delta and found they were almost $250 higher per person for the same dates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It wouldn't hurt to call ( or have your TA call) AJ and request the Delta flight.

Mine was changed ( with much arguing) without additional cost and the times are much better than the AA flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robby (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

(sigh) Well I called AJ and they offered a total refund or I could keep the flight to Bon and change the return flight.
I keep the flight and they booked me on a returning Delta flight.
I then called Delta to confirm the return flight.

The return flight only had about 20 seats left in coach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robby, what are your dates of travel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robby (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

March 8th arrive
March 15th depart

(Message edited by cooker63 on October 3, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daphne T Felix (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tammy, Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what your travel dates are but our TA said AJ was not cooperative with changing our July flight arrangements to Delta. (several phone calls from us to AJ and our TA)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm actually leaving on July 26th. At first AJ told me the exact same thing. 5 or 6 phone calls later, I'm booked on that Delta flight. It can't hurt to be persistant.

BTW, I don't think AJ can just move you to AA, I'd think since it's such a huge travel change and since they caused the problem, you'd have to OK it.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration