BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Am I being stupid? C'mon I can take it..
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: Am I being stupid? C'mon I can take it..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK- our original plans had us going to Bon from Atl Aug 2nd -16th. I couldn't get the awesome priced tickets Delta advertised. The furthest out I could book were July 26th- Aug 9th.

Of course while waiting for the right time frame to come along the prices doubled overnight. And now, come to find out, we need to change the dates to the July 26- Aug 9th anyway. Of course the price has gone from about $450.00 to about $850.00. I really don't want to spend that kind of money on airfare. BUT, I can if I have to.

So, here's the question? Do I wait and hope the prices come down rather than up? Do I hope that flight doesn't sell out because none of the other flight options are good ones, to me.

I honestly have NEVER considered spending this much money on plane tickets before, but I really want to avoid the AA mess and even more AJ. I've got almost a year to plan, so what would you do? Wait and hope? Or suck it up and pay $850.00 a person?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Carrier (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think I'd wait. I watch prices and they do change. I've seen them go up, and back down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob...86 days til trip... (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2267) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

850.00 is more like an average price which implies there are bound to be both lower and higher prices offered...with a year to go i'd wait and see...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1072) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't blame you for wanting to avoid AA and AJ.
However $850 sounds high to me.
So at least give yourself an extra 60-90 days to monitor the prices (every few days) & then book. If you get in the area of $650-$700 jump on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1140) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Because of my job, I could never make airline reservations earlier than 6-3 months before. I would always hold my breath hoping for a decent price for the flight.
I am usually successful, though in the past Caridonna Tours have helped me tremendiously when I was stuck. Kim is terrific.
This year I happened upon a great 48hr internet special for this fall, on continental.com and paid $350 RT a piece for our tickets.Best price I ever paid.
It's the luck of the draw sometimes.
Keep looking is my advise or try Caridonna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #523) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there a way of putting in infromation to be alerted to a lower fare?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We priced the Atl-Bon using the $179/pp one way. We would fly from Raleigh NC(RDU) to Atlanta and then on to Bonaire. After pricing,(the $179 does not include all taxes and fees) we decided that the Continental flight from RDU-Newark and Newark to Bonaire round trip was actually about $55/pp cheaper. the flight times for Continental were also better for us.Depending on where you are, Continental also has direct flights from Houston that might be competitive, Just a comparison.
Vann Evans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tammy MacBride (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm actually in Charleston, SC and it's currently cheaper to fly out of Chas to Atlanta to Bonaire than straight from Atlanta. The Continental flight is another valid option. I just have a personal issue with them. They stranded me in a bad way this summer and said " Airline travel is just another form of public transportation. Arrival times are only estimates." Ummm by DAYS!! I'll avoid them if I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john merriner (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another option is to fly AA to Curacao and then DIVI to BON. Typically less than $600 depending on departure airport; I used BWI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ~ a trip in sight?! (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1344) on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine....does Kim M.@ Caradonna not just ROCK?!? We have been using her for the last 14 years!!! I have emailed/called her I don't know how many times the last day about coming back a third time this year; maybe it will happen? Not sure... but I'm all about just calling and letting her handle it ALL for me. I don't have time to SHOP for rates.

Kobi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1141) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I LOVE Kim.
She was the first travel agent I talk to that knew about Bonaire (people still ask me what island Bonaire is on (?)!) I then go into a short geography lesson.
I found the recommendation for them on this board back in the 90's, when getting to Bonaire could be somewhat of a challange sometimes.
Whenever I've called , if she couldn't help me right away she got back to me in a few days.
She knows Bonaire travel and is a pleasure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ~ a trip in sight?! (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1347) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh lord Lorraine...we probably flew on old ALM flight together and didn't even know it LOL. I hated that airline but back in 1994 when we first stepped foot on Bonaire that was the kind of it as far as getting there. We live in VA and now drive up to BWI to fly with AJ. Kim has been handling things for us since the early 90's too. Love her and she knows what we like and when we like it LOL!

Small dive world huh?! :-)

Kobi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2886) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please keep in mind of the travel trends for Bonaire/Caribbean. Fall usually has air sales. Summer is peak travel to the Caribbean since the 20+ years I have been doing air. If you are not flexible with dates and can only use ONE airline you gotta bite the bullet and pay IMHO.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration