BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Renting a car for layover at SJU...
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: Renting a car for layover at SJU...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rebecca (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the rental car rates at SJU are amazing--we can rent a car for what it cost us to take a van/cab to Old San Juan ONE WAY...

But, we're wondering if it is a wise idea. We live in NYC, so the crazy San Juan drivers don't scare us too much. Plus, we'll bring our GPS with us to find our way around...

How hard will it be to find a place to park in Old San Juan while we have lunch and go sight seeing? Even if we have to pay at a garage, it would still be worth it for us...

Will it be safe to leave our carry ons in the trunk?

What about if we decide to go to the beach? How is parking there?

Thanks in advance for any input.

PS. We'll be there on a Friday, if that has any impact on things...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'm melllttiing - No trip in sight (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2809) on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rebecca....San Juan drivers make NY drivers seem like little old ladies...trust me, I lived there for 6 weeks...they do not pay any attention to road rules at all...the cops drive with their lights on all the time so you have no idea if you are being pulled over or not.

If you are just renting the car for a layover (7 hours or so), skip the car rental. Take the cab. Parking in Old Town is a nightmare, and it is also this way in Isla Verde (the good beach). A taxi can drop you off, and you can arrange for them to come back and pick you up at a certain time.

Leave the carry-ons in the secure storage at the airport...

Just my pennies worth...for what it's worth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2863) on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 8:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I drove from the airport to the rainforest and had no problem. Then, it was time to drive back to Old San Juan. I got lost but had no problem til I hit horrid traffic on San Fransisco. Old San Juan is not a great place to drive or park. If OSJ is your plan hire a cab for SURE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

About how much can we expect a cab to cost for OSJ, and does the trip feel rushed in the 6 hour layover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rebecca (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From what I can recall, the cab (which was really a van, although we were the only ones in it) was about $20 each way.

We didn't feel particularly rushed the last time we did it--was nice to get out and walk around. I can't imagine staying at the airport the whole time. We had lunch, went to see the San Cristobal fort and then walked around a little bit.

We headed back to the airport around 3:30 or 4, to avoid getting stuck during rush hour and had no traffic whatsoever on the way back.

This time we're planning to do a similar thing, but visit El Morro or just do a general walking tour after lunch at Cafeteria Mallorca.

I think we're also going to make use of the storage place for our carry on's. Last time we didn't and it was a big pain to lug them around with us, especially on OSJ's cobbled streets.

By the way, we did decide against the car rental--too much to worry about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2865) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 6:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

6 hours is perfect for a OSJ jaunt. Head outside downstairs to the taxi stand. It is 19.00 USD each way. Email me if you want tips on what to do or where to go..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde - No trip in sight (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2871) on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Also check this out for stuff to do on the layover:-)

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/255870.html?1147724205

Tapas at El Convente...YUMMO!

Hi Ann:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DickD (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What about Beach opportunities? Are the hotel beaches available to non-guests?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2874) on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go to Numero Uno Guest House in Ocean Park, minutes from the airport. Have a lovely lunch at Pamela's in the sand and then use a beach chair. Or closer yet is Waterclub for drinks up on the terrace (I think meals are mediocre at best and pricey) and then sit down on the beach??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the boards, my trip is 29 days away and counting! In fact part of me is already there! I will have a 7 hour layover in SJ and I was going to ask the same question as Rebecca, but she beat me to it. But I now have another transportation question. Are bicycles and/or mopeds available for rent near the airport? Is it a good idea to even try? Is bicycle/moped parking easy to find? Is it safe to share the SJ roads with other cars? Is bicycle/moped theft a problem? Would it be too hot to bike around?

I thought that seeing the area by bicycle would be a nice way to see the sights and get around fairly quickly. I'll be travelling very light with only a backpack.

Thanks!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration