BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: How is the redeye out of Newark?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: How is the redeye out of Newark?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1114) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know that many of you have taken the Continental redeye out of Newark. How is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #768) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We took this flight in July with a return in August. Even though we had our boarding passes that had been issued in our first city (Manchester, NH) an announcement was made in the gate area that you needed to check in again at the desk -- I think they were just making sure everyone had their docs in order. Leaving Newark the flight boarded on time, there were blankets and pillows on each seat and the cabin lights were turned off for easy sleeping. I think there was beverage service and a movie but I was asleep before take off so am not sure! About an hour before landing the lights were turned on and an announcement was made about landing so that folks had time to use the lavatory, fill out paper work for Customs, etc. On the return we left Bonaire a few minutes late and then because of air traffic in Newark we got to have a scenic ride around the area before landing. We were very pleased with the whole experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1055) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine. It's an excellent way to get to Bonaire!
Have dinner, a drink or two. Get on the plane & go to sleep. When you wake up, guess what!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6061) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, you guys are going to love it...peace and quiet and ORGANIZATION!! Nice folks, too.

WE left right on time and had no hassles at all with check in or boarding. Nice area to wait at the gate for the plane and no folks pushing, shoving and clammering for a path to get onto the plane. Very nicely done. The airport is sooo quite at that hour...it's the only way to fly!! I'll never switch back to any other route to Bonaire...the non-stop is heavenly.

If you are going to be very hungry at the midnight hour or later bring a sandwich or snack with you as there really is not much served on the way down. Nice flight, tho. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Friends of ours that are Owners at Sand Dollar told us that they in their condo sleeping by 6 AM.
They stated many good things about the Continental flight-including the non-stop. When We travel via AA thru San juan or Air Jamaica thru Montego Bay-We are always anxious until We see our luggage at Flamingo. Hope the Delta Flight thru Atlanta becomes a reality. Price flucuates almost daily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan & Joan Zale (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #461) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's a great flight, I think the previous post is about us. August was our second time on the flight, the first in February. It's the best way to get to Bonaire from the NY area. We're already booked for next February.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5905) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to say, getting to Bonaire in 4hours, 10 min. was awesome! Did the Newark to Bon. flight in August and it is great! NO problems either way. Red eye takes a little getting used to though. Will try it again in Nov., but will take some "meds" to aid sleep on the way down then. Then try for a few hours sleep when I get to Bon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2207) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie heavy drinking before the flight works just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3134) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick, are prescribing your panacea again? Thanks for the info, folks. One question, when did you have to actually get to the airport for departure, was 430 early enough, or do they open earlier now? Is there an AA flight leaving early Sunday as well? Any car rental return problems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2209) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb don't say that. I'm to close to getting out of here!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5910) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb, We got to the airport at 4:00 and there was already quite a line, but folks still kept coming later after that. They were checking folks in when we arrived at 4am. We had been told that the plane we were flying on was already full and overbooked, so we wanted to make sure we got on it. And, yes, AA also had a flight leaving early too, but they didn't open up their line to check on folks till 5am. Continental had only one person there for quite a while taking care of folks and it was tediously long to move anywhere fast in line, then about a little later, they got another person, but it sure takes long to process through the line. Continental is scheduled to leave at 6am on Sundays, so I think 4 was a good time, AA doesn't leave till 7am. Sure was glad I paid my departure tax ahead of time, that line was way long too. Every seat was filled on my way from Newark and on my way home as well. Was surprised as I though August was slower with folks coming to Bonaire, but full house.

I did not like getting up early though...but is way nice getting home in the afternoon after I got into Newark, had an hour ride home, but still better than AA as it was way late at night before I got into Phila! Still had to drive almost an hour there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1119) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there a possiblity of checking your baggage the night before at the airport and just bringing a carry-on ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5911) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, not that I know of either for Continental of AA. :-( That sure would be nice! Think the problem with that is that no one is there at the Bonaire airport from Con. or AA to do so other than the check in times for flight of those airlines. With so many early flights now too, I have no idea where they would stow away all the luggage for them either overnight there. I mean that in regards to Con. and AA airlines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1042) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can't do that in NYC, why Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5913) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, you have a point there, Ron. I can't do it on the way down from Newark either. You are right on with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1121) on Saturday, September 1, 2007 - 7:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I asked because at one time ,I thought I remembered doing that but that was quite some time ago.( very much priore to 9/11)
It sure made things easier.
Might have been with Air Aruba or KLM when we flew smaller planes to connect thru Aruba.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration