BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA from San Juan to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: AA from San Juan to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #198) on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just wondering what kind of experiences you have had with AA to SJ and then to Bonaire. We are considering going AA this time, and there is much conversation of weight..etc... What are the chances that things will go smooth and we will make it there on the same day ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lunarlab (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've traveled AA from Sacramento to Bonaire 3 times and not had any troubles. We were late once because we had to fly around a hurricane that was in the way. We always have to change planes several times but our luggage has made it each time. It takes at least 3 planes each way. Give yourself plenty of time to make the connection in Puerto Rico, especially when you come back. You need to pick up your luggage for customs and recheck it. We haven't had a chance to try the Continental Flight yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2243) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

before i decided to try continental, i used AA/AE thru San Juan - 12 times anyway...only once were my bags delayed (1 day going to bonaire)...lots of close calls though...

not that much time needed to make connection in San Juan to Bonaire but try to get a 2-3 hr layover in San Juan on the return...customs, baggage recheck, security recheck - takes awhile and those folks are SLOW...

good luck:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2859) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am guesstimating, 42 trips SJU BON since 2001....one baggage delay, one time we had plane trouble and turned back to leave 20 min. later....a few small delays, and two VERY rough rides...not much to report.

My clients..well one missed a plane as they sat and read and did not hear the boarding call...a few others bad baggage come the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #249) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 1:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

Read the previous posts. A few summary quick suggestions.
1. Try to not fly on the weekend.
2. Make sure to get your boarding pass for the San Juan to Bon segment at your originating locations, as they consider that the check in time and you are less likely to get bumped. And yes make sure you have a good 2 hrs between plane changes.
3. And cross pack with your daughter, so if some of the luggage does not come you at least have half your stuff. And do put at least your mask in your carry on.

You have a very good chance of it all going smoothly. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #431) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good advice, all.

We have used the SJU-BON AE the last four trips since 2000. No lost or delayed baggage, three out of four flights SJU-BON less than an hour late.

Our most productive learning has been that ...

1. You must pay careful attention to the announcements of flights at the SJU airport. AE has dozens of flights going all over the Caribbean from about 4 gates and they do not take any particular care to make the announcements clearly (Ann's post brought a rueful smile). Bottom line: physically, stay very close to the gate and watch the gate attendant and AE staff.

2. Coming home, grit your teeth and be at the AE counter at 5:00 am. The staff may or may not show up right then, but being near the top of the line dramatically cuts the chances of your being bumped because of others' excess luggage.

3. Coming home, if the procedure is as it was a couple of weeks ago, look for your U.S. Customs & Immigration Form in the AE folder you are given when you check in. It's simple to fill out during the flight. The problem we had was that almost no one on our recent flight realized the form was in the boarding pass folder, we were all accustomed to AE flight attendants passing the forms out during the flight. Made for some unnecessary hectic moments while in line calculating purchases, pulling receipts, etc.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #508) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Out of 7 RT flights no missed flights, once luggage took 3 days to find us. We always stay close to the gate, and watch the flight attendants movements, as you can not make out what comes over the speakers. Had 1 flight that we did not know if we were going to get on. AA in Boston could not check us all the way through. So we had to get out boarding passes in San Juan, and hold our breath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

What are the chances that things will go smooth and we will make it there on the same day ?

Our flight from Denver with AA is supposed to be in 1 day (14 hours, or so). The only problem this year - we only have 50 minutes in San Juan. Coming from this far west - this was the only option available with AA. So much for the 2 hours connection time <g>!!

We usually have a longer connections time and have not had trouble making the plane and our luggage has also made it.

HTH - Bea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #509) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First of all, if you plan on things not going smoothly, you will be more prepared to tske things in stride. When you check into the Denver airport make sure that they book you all way thru to Bonaire, and that they give you those boarding passes. As it is a long walk from the main gates to the AA Eagle gates are, You might want to let the flight attendant or ticket desk be aware of the tight connection, and ask if you can be picked up in a cart so you can get to the gate on time, and also make sure that the flight attendants notify AA Eagle that you have landed. Once you get to the gate make sure you go to the desk and let them know you are there.
Most airlines also build in 15 - 30 minutes to their flights. So that even if they are a little late leaving, they still get to the destination on time.
When are you flying. If it is the high season... good luck. If you do make the AA eagle flight, be prepared that your luggage might be a day or 2 behind you. So pack enough clothing on your carry on. Once in Bonaire have a cold Bright, kick up your heels and take a nice big breath, and slowly exhale.

Have a great time!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #239) on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stupid question, maybe, but going home, do you pass through customs and immigration in San Juan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's not a stupid question...the answer is Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #240) on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks! I think we're headed down in January, Deo volante, via San Juan on AA sky miles. We'll see if it can all be worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde - No trip in sight (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2846) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holly, check out this link, everything you wanted to know about going through the SJ airport!

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/255870.html?1147724205

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #241) on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow guys, great job!
I never read this back in 2006 because there was no trip in sight. Alas. But I think we're finally going to make it happen. Hold a good thought ...
Many thanks.

(Message edited by hap on September 6, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1227) on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

a few years ago we were routed from cleveland to chicago to san juan to bonaire. we left cleveland on time but were about 90 minutes late leaving chicago. our layover in sju was supposed to be 2 hours but ended up to be about 25 minutes. ok, not a layover, a sprint from the plane at gate 9 to the american eagle flight at gate 1. we decided we'd see our luggage in the next day or so. we went down the stairs to gate 1 and didn't stop moving till we were on the bus to the plane. once on the ground in bonaire we were shocked to see that not only did our suitcases make the flight with us, but my bicycle did too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we are going to BON in march08 and on the return we only have 1:20 to make our first class conn on AA in SJU...i realize theres no first class on AE from BON to SJU but we do have a front row, 7a&b, to make our business class connection(air miles) do you all think we will have time to go through customs and all that to make the flight home to LAX? or should i pay the extra to change our return leg to another flight.
Its a saturday 7:13am flight from BON to SJU arrives 9:15 am then a 10:40 am connection ..
I would hate to lose the miles and the biz class flight, its too long!
please resond before its too late to change it up!
corybaby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3689) on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Corybaby, having done that route several times, I never book the flight from sju to LAX earlier than the 11:40 flight. I've almost missed that one once as the luggage took forever to arrive at SJ...and then you have to go through customs and security again....if the plane leaving Bon is late, it can make it sticky as well. If you can get teh 11 something flight, I'd at least change it to that, give you a little more breathing room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #559) on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cory, If you are in seats 7a &b ( Bonaire- SJU)you are towards the front of the plane. The plane loads and unlaods from the rear. Good Luck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3691) on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jan, I forgot about that. We always get the last seats in the plane so we are first off:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sounds like were s$&#@ed, id better change that, too bad it was the only nonstop
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

UPDATE
OK, thanks for the info fellow traveler divers.
When i called AA the guy said "oh no they are making their connection, its "a legal connection"
After explaining the customs & baggage procedure i think he agreed and he switched our NO REFUNDS flight at no charge, including the Advantage miles first class upgrade,to a 12:30 departure connecting to LAX through MIA ,They dont normally do that?
My theory is not too many people are making that connection (SJU-LAX)with that amount of time, whatcha think, sounds fishy to me?
Only glitch is when we land in MIA we only have 40 minutes to make the next connection to LAX.
I think we can live with that.....fingers crossed..
Next question: On the flight from SJU to BON, after we arrive in SJU we have one hour to make the flight to BON....enough time? advice...which way to run?
thanks all
corybaby
last dive=punta sur, cozumel, last saturday

(Message edited by corybaby on November 15, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3695) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cory, you may have to run in Miami to catch the LAX flight...I've done that before, but I hate to say that 40 minutes is ...tight? Just have your tennis shoes on and be ready to book. We did it the other way once...but made it:-)

From SJU to Bon...you will have enough time. You won't have to go through customs or anything. Make sure you get your boarding pass for the SJU BON flight at LAX...that is a MUST. I don't know when you are going, but hopefully it's not a busy time period. With only an hour, be prepared to face the fact that your luggage might not make it. The AE puddle jumpers are very strict on weight, and so if they have already accounted for baggage from other passengers and it's full, your luggage will be delayed.

That being said, we carry our regs, my script mask, fins, booties, bathing suit, change of clothes, and bathing suit in our carry on in case it doesn't make it, we have the essentials to rent gear and survive a day or two without the luggage.

Here is a good read for tips going through SJU to Bon and back...

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/255870.html?1147724205

Good luck and let us know how it goes (from one left coast diver to another:-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3696) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OH, nice bugs in your profile pic:-) Off Catalina? What boat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We dove the Sandollar out of san pedro every month for 5 years until just recently, after Ken sold it it just wasnt the same, now we are just warm water divers...pretty much..Saw alot of really cool things at Cat,San Clem,St nicholas islands...
Thanks for all the good info on the Bon connections!
\
We cant wait!
><((((º>
.><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3703) on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

YOu must be a little farther North than we are. We are down Dana Point way...no more cold water diving? We love the kelp, and have been adicted to it for abotu 8 years:-) Although, the first dive after a warm water trip is always a bit "tough" lol!

Have a great trip and please write a report when you return:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on November 15, 2007)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration