BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: How dependable is Air Jamaica?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: How dependable is Air Jamaica?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kathleen wiederholt (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are going to be flying AJ for the first time, on our return trip we have 40 minutes between flights in Montego and 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights in Atlanta to catch a Delta flight,What are the odds that we miss one or both of these flights?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1034) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ connecting fights are always tight. We have used them for 9 years total and have never missed a conection going and one year we were delayed in MB for 8 hours going home and they wined and dined us in jamacia. At least you won't have to worry about AE bumping you cause of a weight problem. Your flight will be fine if you are late they hold your conection over for you...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #197) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In our opinion it is NOT dependable. You can read my report on Air Jamacia. We were 45 minutes late getting into Jamacia and they did NOT hold the plane for us. The AJ reps said that do not hold planes for 15 minutes or more. I said that was untrue and Aj put us up in Jamacia for the night and wasted 1 day of our vacation on Bonaire. Aj also fans out to Ryan International which has very old planes. We were very disappointed this time and we are for sure NOT to use AJ anymore. It is a very undependable airline. Everyone has an opinion and this is ours. We used them three times and twice we ended up spending unplanned time in Jamacia. Have a great time in Bonaire when you go :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tina (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had a problem with getting back to the states, were I would be worried is when you arrive back into Atlanta, and going to customs and everything before you can get on your next flight. is there any way to allow 2 plus hours between flights I would

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john merriner (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Five flights on AJ and I got to Bonaire and Baltimore each time on the day I was supposed to; albeit late in one or both directions five of five times.

I have often heard that departure and arrival schedules for AJ are only suggestions. I try to take things as they happen and consider whatever happens part of the adventure. I go on island time when I get in my car to go to the airport.

Would suggest trip insurance just in case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Izzy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #232) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Used to be a good airline, then in 2005 it went down the tubes. Have not flown them since. We are fortunate to have better options in our area now. I hope your flight goes well.

Coach Izzy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill and Donna Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #311) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ has been totally great for us in 10 trips over the last 4 years - one time only - when AJ couldn't get to ATL in time for the morning flight because of a storm in ATL - they arrived in MoBay too late for the Bonaire flight (they DID wait for over an hour but we arrived about 2 hours late) - so they put us up in an all-inclusive and we had a great (but non-diving) time there and the next morning they made a special trip to Bonaire and we arrived about 24 hours late. We love the arrival/dep times in Bonaire on the AJ flight, the minimal layover time in MoBay (which makes people nervous but if your arr flt is AJ they know if you're a little late and wait), staff has been mostly nice, and the free champagne ain't a bad touch either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In July flew AJ from Chicago. We were supposed to leave Sat am and ended up being put up in a hotel in Chicago until Sun am, Flew Ryan Air which was small and old. On the way back got into Jamaica more than an hour late but they held the flight from Jamaica to ORD. I'd say not dependable based on my experience

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1042) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will NEVER fly them again if I can help it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Godbee (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

3 trips since 2001, never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1983) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When they served Boston, we used them and found them to be great. The last trip with them, it was obvious the airline was having issues, the planes seemed to be shabbier looking - but the service was still pretty good.

We did have an issue where we booked into first class so that we could get on the plane first - we both had had recent hip surgeries and didn't want to be standing on the tarmack for a long time. It turned out that on that day, the gate droid in Bonaire decided to "think outside the box" and called everyone onto the plane backwards - so first class were stuck waiting until last. Arrgh.

Anyway, that was our worst trip - not all that bad, really. We found they would hold planes in Montego Bay until the Bonaire plane was there, so we never got held up.

If they came back to Boston, we'd probably use them again - great arrival and departure times, no San Juan issues, and no red-eye from an airport we have to "enjoy" for a minimum of 5 hours each way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Pritchard (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

First trip to Bonaire in 2004, no problems. In 2005, had a 5 hour layover in CUR (both ways), to take the puddle jumper ( no insult, it was a very enjoyable 15 min.)to Bonaire. A couple in our group who stayed over was stuck in Bonaire for a week, and had to get back to ATL under their own resources, as AJ was no help.
After 2 years away, I am headed back to Bonaire in June '08. I am praying things have improved with AJ, or the Delta from ATL becomes reality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kathleen wiederholt (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Second trip to Bonaire in one year, life is good, so if we miss one of the flights NO_PROBLEM MAAN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Halkyard (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've used AJ through Atlanta on a number of occasions - have had some delays - but everything worked. But, with customs and security in Atlanta, I would never schedule less than a 3 hour connection. The MBJ to ATL flight will wait for delayed flights into MJB. Arrival into ATL is always late, then there is getting from customs to the gate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By amanda creighton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have flown AJ at least 6 times. We love the early departure from Philly and arrival in Bonaire. However, they only make that trip on Saturdays. We've never missed a connection.
The only thing is the seating. I may be disappointed when I switch airlines, but on AJ I'm tired of the person ahead of me taking the space where I should be able to hold a book and put my knees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karen gaffner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #183) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ has the best schedule and we never really had much trouble with them but that said...We are on the midnight ride to Bonaire tonight.Wanted to try the nonstop redeye. Can't wait to be back on the island!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1071) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Karen,
If all goes well you'll be there and in your room by 6 AM tomorrow :-)

Good luck with the red eye. We just did that route last month. Not by choice, however, as AJ scr*wed us on our original departure from BWI. We were rerouted to National and then up to Newark for the red eye. We missed several hours and an early arrival to BON thanks to AJ. Having flown AJ for 9 years I'm not ready to ditch them totally though!

I really like their early arrival; best in business and very economical first class as I'm spoiled that way :-)

Karen...let us know how your flights and trip go. Safe diving!

Kobi in Virginia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2855) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was 10 hours door to door from Cape Cod to Bonaire when I flew Air Jamaica (JM). I loved Mo Bay, loved the Love Bird Hospitality. There were some major hiccups when the govt took over. Thanks to JM I stayed in Mo Bay for an overnight and Breezes in CUR. I had no major delays otherwise and never lost luggage. I miss JM very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #672) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ out of Chicago ORD got cancelled today due to "mechanical difficulties".

RATZ !

All I can do is light a vigil light that they have a working airplane for my trip at the end of September. I wouldn't mind being stranded on Bonaire, but Chicago isn't much of a tourist destination for me - lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill and Donna Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #313) on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Randy P - Are you flying Sept 29th? If so, we're on that AJ flight from ATL-MoBay-Bon - maybe we'll see you - we actually love AJ - 11th trip with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #673) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yepper, I'll be the one with the big grin and a bad Hawaian shirt - lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Randy same thing that happened to us in July flight cancelled due to mechanical problems. We ended up staying the night at the Westin Ohare and then leaving Sunday morning. Of course no flights from MoBay to Bonaire on Sunday so we flew to Curacao and then after speaking to may people finally flew from Curacao to Bonaire on DAE arrived Sunday night at 9:30. I hope you have better luck than we did!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #675) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did AJ offer to switch you to a carrier going into Newark and then on to Bonaire that same day?

I know it would mean about 12 hours travel time for a 6-1/2 hour flight, but at least a traveller would have the 'illusion' of travelling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No and when I asked the people at Ohare about getting on another airline they told me I'd have to call the 800 number. Originally they told us our flight would leave at 6pm then called my cell and said it would leave at 9:30pm then called and said it would leave the next morning. When I called the 800 number they told me to call back in an hour they were working on it. They told me that about 6 times. When we got to Jamaica no one was really sure how we were going to get from Curacao to Bonaire but told us that the station manager there would help us. He did help us but it took us awhile to track him down. It was very frustrating and we lost a day and a half of our vacation. I think next time we are going to try to fly continental out of Houston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #676) on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks. I may try to chat with the folks at AJ and see how hard it is to get your luggage back if a flight is cancelled.

I'm wondering if it's worth the $400 to also buy a R/T ticket on Continental via Newark for the same day but an afternoon flight.

It would mean losing $400 if the AJ flight DOES take off on time of course, so it's a tough decision on how badly/dependably I want to get on island. The Newark flight arrives on Sunday at about 4:00a.m. which I'm presuming is a consolidation of a couple airlines itineraries?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have used Air Jamaica from Baltimore several times--but not recently. When they had flights Wed, Fri, and Sat it worked well for us. We always a short connection time in montego Bay and always worried about luggage--but everything has worked out. Like the fact that We arrive @ 3:30 PM--time to stop @ Cultimarra before checking in @ Sand Dollar. Plus the return leaves @ 4PM so You don't lose Your last day of diving because of those 7 AM American Flights and not worry that You will get bumped because of weight restrictions. You have to approach every trip with the thought that things are not going to be perfect--makes it easier to handle when there are glitches. We are booked on Air Jamaica in November and will post after that trip as to how things went. In the past, things have pretty much went without problems. Their Air Fare in November was the best of all the carriers.

Jim

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration