BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA and oversold overweight status this summer
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: AA and oversold overweight status this summer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2846) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems I have had one too many clients being denied boarding on AE from BON to SJU due to "being too late" or the plane "being overweight". They are being sent to Aruba and then chaos ensues. Since AE here has irregular office hours and no one answers the phone after 10 AM I wonder can anyone explain what is going on please and thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #243) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

My only experience was a Thurs, Fri and Sat Aug 9,10,11 departures of Bon to SJ. Different family members leaving on different days. The ticket gal on Friday said the Thurs flight was NOT sold out. The flight on Fri was but apparently not everyone showed. So those that showed got on.

Sat was a different matter, the last 6 or so folks who showed up around 6:20 or so did not make it. And yes the flight still had some empty seat, as I was on the Sat flight. The explanation is weight. This is an ongoing issue. One must be one of the first 40 or so to make sure one gets on, even with a reservation.

One could ask the question, why sell seats they know they are going to send to other flights? This is not my business model. I am sure others more wise on this will jump in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2847) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Lydia,

I decided to go visit the station manager and agent today. This is what is happening. The weight going back all summer has been an issue. Many students are leaving school and taking their belongings, much being overweight. They are paying for this overweight baggage of course. The plane cannot take off unless the weight is correct.When there is an overweight situation, volunteers are invited to be bumped. Others are re routed to CUR and AUA and back home. This is not the fault of AA/AE. They do not know who is going to check in overweight baggage until the day of arrival. I for one would prefer a safe flight then a flight that crashes because the agents were not diligent in checking the safety.

Also I had a few clients who were re routed to AUA. They called me from AUA or later emailed me to alert me and complain. Each time I checked it out I found they had checked in late. Sunday my client checked in at 6:45 AM! A disgruntled client in July checked in at 6:15 AM. This is too late.

The medical students are not traveling anymore so I think we should see less of a problem. It is their right to carry excess baggage and so long is there is not embargo, AA/AE must accept their baggage. Those who check in last are the ones who suffer unfortunately.

This is NOT an official statement from AA/AE. I am sharing to simply remind people pack light, do not gain weight in Bonaire (smile) and check in 2 hours ahead of schedule.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2848) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

p.s. I must add the station agent and station assistant were very helpful...and have also been so on all of my many AE trips. Thanks Dudley and Cornelia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2591) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

TKS for a good and rational explanation. Always the best way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2849) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Goes to show I cannot listen to my customers all the time..there are 2 sides to every story. Imagine checking in at 6:45 AM when the plane boards at 6:50?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #574) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My question is this: what constitutes being "one of the first 40 or so"? On the flight from Bonaire to SJ, I would assume this is based on who the first people are that are checking in at the airport in Bonaire. ON the flight from SJ to Bonaire, what counts as being "checked in": getting your boarding pass printed out the day before, being on a flight to SJ that leaves your originating city earlier than someone else, or do you actually have to go to the gate in SJ and tell them "hey, I'm here now"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5557) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, on the SJU to BON flight, I take it to mean the first 40 or so in LINE when they call for the flight. That's why I always sit or stand very near the desk so I'm right THERE when they announce the flight. I have always already had my boarding pass from my city of origin, but that does not guarantee you a spot on the flight. [as many many Bonaire travelers can tell you]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We generally meet the three hour rule for getting to the airport before any international flight. Doing this and always having the essentials in a standard size carry-on has worked well for us. If we still flew AA/AE to Bonaire, I am guessing that we would probably not be bumped by their weight procedure; but from a service perspective, why not also set the priority of moving passengers and all standard weighted luggage first. I know oversized luggage fees are probably very profitable for the airline; but aside from emergent supplies to the island, I think AE's passengers would be better served if oversized luggage was rerouted through Aruba instead of passengers. AA better wake up. They finally have some competition which has stolen us as passengers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1032) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When is everybody going to learn that the AE puddle jumpers don't give a Da* if you make your flight or not! Fly AJ or Con and quit playing their games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #244) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott,

The first 40 or so also applies to SJ to Bon from what I can see, as well. And the first 40 in this case is who has boarding passes - from their city of origin - seems to be the determining factor along with who is on line earlier. This is based on limited flying with them and comments made on this board.

My favorite way so far has been on Delta - when they flew Altanta to Cur and then Divi Divi ( in the co pilot chair) into Bon. Sweet. It will be sweeter if they fly Altanta direct to Bon.

Also, From the three days I was at the AE Bon to SJ, all I saw was obvious divers, no students.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[ 2 trips in sight-Oct-March (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #221) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Everyone

After reading this thread, I can only hope that Delta comes through with their proposed Atlanta/ Bonaire flight.!

This isn't the first thread of this nature and that's why I've started going thru Curacao--it just feels better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl B (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #257) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Looking at Ann's original and followup messages, it seems that it is not the SJU-BON flights that have been overweight, but rather the BON-SJU flights. It also seems that it was a late check-in that caused the problem.

There are usually around 50 seats sold on the SJU-BON flights, not 40. There are more than 50 seats on that plane... allowances have been built into the flight plan for the typical weight of luggage.

It isn't just luggage that can be overweight either... the "average" weight allowed per person is also planned for... if 50 very large people are booked, well... I bet the chances go up that not all of them are going to get on the plane.

Perhaps the airlines should have a weight allowance for both luggage and people - then the weight and balance issues could be taken to a new science! When you book a flight, you would be asked your weight, and how much luggage you plan to bring. When you show up at the airport, you and your luggage all get on the scale. What ever is over your limit, you either pay extra for, or leave behind. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2593) on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There was a short period in the past (very short!) when some airlines considered weighing each passenger as they checked in, in order to get the weights just right.

There was only a small cry from potential passengers who considered that an invasion of privacy and a waste of time.

Allowing payment (and then boarding) for weight over the pre-flight declared value would not reduce refused passenger numbers very much. And can you imagine the conversations at the counter (and the postings here on the web!) if the overweight was refused???? :–)

The airlines are in a lose-lose situation here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2850) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, I have had clients have problems on Air Jamaica and Continental. In my 20 years travel biz experience no airline is immune from challenges.

As I understand it, it is not how many people they can take, it's purely weight. So if there were 50 skinny people they would fit 50 people...as it stands now this summer there were a lot of students and divers with overweight luggage. Those checking in first with overweight luggage makes it bad for anyone checking in late, which a few of my clients have been doing.

Getting there at 4:20, 3 hours ahead is fine but IMHO not necessary since no one shows up to check in until 5 or so.

I fly AE 6 times a year heading northbound and arrive before 6 AM and am fine. I travel within the normal weight limit.

I may say this, the summer was VERY busy for BON. We had a lot of groups for diving and the medical students were heading home which may have compounded the challenges.

Scott, you cannot get boarding passes the day before in BON. One checks in the day of travel and proceeds.

Cheryl, well said. I am referring to BON to SJU only.

Once I check in I go home and sit with my sad doggies for a bit then head over at 6:30 to prepare for the 6:50 boarding.

Use common sense, pack light and check in 2 hours ahead, please. Also avoid travel when the medical students are going home IMHO. (LOL)....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2594) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My system is to take my baggage over and check in at the head of the line. Then back to my digs to shower, change, checkout and eat. Then, similar to Ann but different as a tourist, I return to the airport, turn my vehicle in and enjoy the a/c and Amstel(s) waiting to board. Or coffee for AE! I hate flying sweaty!

I also carry shorts in my carry on (in winter when going south) or slacks (going north in winter) and change in flight so I am comfortable as I get off the aircraft (or on board if the a/c is set on 'high').

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PegiSue (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1399) on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just received an email from AA, telling me that our flight, which we were told was overweight and could not board, was actually oversold. Funny, we were told that there were still 11 seats on the plane but it was overweight. We bought our tickets way in advance for this flight, how could it be over-sold? I think people need to get there stories to coincide, especially when working for a corporation as big as American Airlines...
AND the reason WE had to PAY for our flight to Aruba was because we didn't want to stay the extra 3-4 days before we could get squeezed onto a flight, at our expense. Also, we had to pay (cash) because, even though we bought the tickets through AA, and at the AA counter, this was not an AA flight. I'm finding all of this too interesting. Let me go read more....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2869) on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Over sold flights happen all the time..the airlines routinely do this..BUT they typically ask for volunteers and offer them vouchers to be bumped. I have friends who travel all around volunteering to be bumped. Having confirmed tickets and having to pay is WRONG. Fight it...have your travel agent assist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PegiSue (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1404) on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, Ann, I am fighting!! Don't have a travel agent. Now they are saying that we had to pay for the Aruba tickets because it was another airline...?... We bought them at the request of the AA counter-person, from the AA counter-person that was wearing AA uniform, at the AA counter! Had to pay in "cash only!" And got a piece of paper with writing on it done in marker. Nothing official looking at all. Just a piece of paper that said "Aruba". It was all too weird!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2870) on Sunday, September 9, 2007 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pegisue, I do not see your original post. Did you check in late?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2023) on Sunday, September 9, 2007 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,
It was a connecting flight, I think:
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/1022/325592.html?1185459453#POST406004

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PegiSue (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1410) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was our flight FROM Bonaire to San Juan to Orlando. We got to the airport, in Bonaire, before 6am. Not late. Everything was just a mess.
What Susan posted above was GETTING to Bonaire. A treat! Then to have this mess trying to get home, we aren't happy w/ AA. Sending off 15 letters tomorrow to the "higher ups" at AA. Maybe they will at least open one of them...

(Message edited by pegisue on September 10, 2007)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration