BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Darn hurricanes
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: Darn hurricanes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the trip is two days away and, not only is Houston looking at weather, there is something big brewing in the Caribbean. Quite the quiet storm season until my vacation is about to start. Oh well, hoping for the best. Brother flies through San Juan, he's probably in for a long trip. I go through Houston, who knows, may be shorter.

Hope to see/meet everyone safely on Saturday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Robertson Gray (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike,

We are presently willing the storms elsewhere. If you are leaving on the Friday night Houston flight, we will see you at the airport. Also there are a group of BTer's meeting at BobbyJens on Sunday for dinner. See the Dive 'Buddy Needed August 17 - 25, 2007' thread under Everything else Bonaire.

Safe traveling.

Vanessa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robyn Churchill (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto on 'darn hurricanes',,,although I feel like using some stronger language here! ;-)
I'm holding reservations on the AA San Juan ---> Bonaire flight for tomorrow night (Friday).
Tick tock..only time will tell.
Good luck and safe travels to everyone trying to get to Bonaire. Robyn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Robertson Gray (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robyn,

Positive thoughts and good travel wishes.

Vanessar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LaxDad (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We changed our saturday AJ flight to the friday Continental flight out of Houston. Hopefully we'll beat the storm. would rather be in Bonaire than stuck in Jamaica. The airline penalty was well worth the piece of mind. On the storm tracker this morning it looked like the storm was starting to head north. Has anybody heard what the locals are predicting???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

well, we're in the same boat, we fly saturday out of atlanta via montego bay, to bonaire on AJ...Let's hope we all make it with no problems...Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LaxDad (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a link that may help http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/143525.shtml?5day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was scheduled on the AE flight Friday a.m. and thought it best to postpone given the fact that the hurricane seems to be picking up speed and will be in the way of flying to San Juan. Cornelia from AE said the Captain of AE flight leaving this morning said it is a good bet that they won't be flying on Friday morning. So earliest to get out would be Monday and latest Friday. If you are scheduled to fly AE Friday or Saturday, it is probably best to re-book your flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robyn,
I'll be on your Friday flight from San Juan, if it actually flies. Otherwise, I'll plan on a few days in San Juan.
Checking into other options now, but I'm not sure any are better.

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jeff, figured you'd find this discussion. I'm wondering if you will even get to San Juan. Hoping so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robyn Churchill (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #110) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jeff. I hope to see you in San Juan and I hope we'll make it to Bonaire on Friday night as planned! Robyn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #453) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Might want to check this link as well.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

and here - go to cyclone

http://www.meteo.an/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6040) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Susan...looks like a wind reversal might be on the way. Hope no surge comes with it. Hope it blows north of you very quickly and has no effect on Bonaire. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay aka Kali and Kai (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4479) on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sending my best juju to all of you traveling to Bonaire (or anywhere for that matter) this weekend.
May the travel Gods be with you and you arrive at your destinations in good cheer, good health and good time! :-)

Hey I like that toast, think I'll use it on my trip :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #852) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The tropical storm Erin made landfall early Thur morning and is only causing a problem in southwest Texas. We are getting some rain about 100 miles north of Houston and Houston got about 3-4 inches Thur afternoon. Hurricane Dean's eye is expected to be near St. Lucia and Martinique later this morning. So hopefully those leaving from Houston won't have any problems. Not sure about those going thru MoBay or San Juan.

Hope this info helps some of you.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the AA flight from SJU didn't happen tonight. I get to spend another day in San Juan and try again tomorrow night. Hope the rest of you have better luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

bummer jeff, do you know if your scheduled for another flight tomorrow? what time do you think you will get out of there...Scott
we are supposed to fly tomorrow, but it sure looks iffy, dean is now a 4, yikes!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay aka Kali and Kai (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4490) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awww.... man, I'm lighting a candle for all of you traveling this weekend. I'm sorry to hear that you're stuck in SJ, but hey... you are on vacation :-)
Enjoy!
hurricane cocktails
May tomorrow be the day you arrive on Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the wishes and thoughts everyone!

I'm scheduled for the same AA flight tomorrow night that is supposed to leave at 6:55 PM Atlantic Time. Hopefully Dean moves far enough west that we can get around it. They didn't cancel tonight's flight until about 45-50 minutes before take off, so I'm not sure I'll have any better information until I'm actually in the air. My brother (and dive buddy) should be in Houston as I type, hopefully he - and the rest of the gang on that flight tonight - make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2832) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, get a boarding pass or you are stuck..I wonder if AA will even fly tomorrow night..

Travel Advisory -
Hurricane Dean

Kingston, Jamaica - August 16, 2007
AIR JAMAICA GUARANTEED TRAVEL PROGRAM

Air Jamaica has instituted its guaranteed travel program due to the onset of Hurricane Dean. It is expected that this hurricane will affect some parts of the Caribbean over the next few days.

Passengers holding tickets issued on or before August 16, 2007 for travel to/from Barbados, Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Kingston, Montego Bay, Nassau, and St. Lucia for travel August 17 - 24, 2007 may change their itinerary without penalty subject to the following conditions:
• Passengers must already be in possession of tickets.
• Passengers will be guaranteed the same fare as they were originally ticketed on within the applicable fare parameters up to August 24, 2007.
• A request for deferral of travel must be made prior to departure of the original travel date.
• Tickets with an expiry date during the above-mentioned period will be extended for travel up to August 24, 2007. Passengers are advised to keep a record of their locator number.
• Passengers with totally unused tickets who have decided not to travel will be issued a voucher for future travel on Air Jamaica for the full value of the ticket without penalty. The voucher will be valid for one year from the date of issue. Exception: Passengers originating in London will receive a full refund without penalty.

Changes to origin, destination, travel date and fare type may result in an increase to the fare. Any difference in the fare between original and the new ticket will be collected.

Passengers are encouraged to check here for regular updates of important information pertaining to any of our routes, or call our Reservations department:

Jamaica: 1-888-FLY-AIRJ

US, Canada, Caribbean: 1-800-523-5585

UK: 0-208-570-7999

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2833) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, go to Old San Juan tomorrow..great area to sightsee. La Bombanera for coffee and mallorcas, El Morro, Cathedral and Cafe Manolin for lunch..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

jeff, what's the weather like there now...??? gezzz...bonaire or bust....scott
It's really not looking good for us flying out tomorrow, but would they fly to jamaica and leave us there with the storm headed right there.? Would they leave all their aircraft at the airport? yikes....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann - thanks for the tips on Old San Juan, if the weather is at all bearable, I'll probably be there. I do have have my boarding pass already for tomorrow if the plane actually goes.

Scott - The weather in San Juan now is pleasant, partly cloudy, a little breezy, but not too bad. Planes are definitely taking off from here, just not heading south-east.
If the airlines really think they can't get their aircraft out of an area, they probably won't fly them in. From the maps though, it looks like it won't get to Jamaica until late Sunday, so you should be okay for tomorrow - but who knows where the planes are coming from and then going to

On another note, the AA gate agent told me to get my baggage at the claim area. The baggage folks said that they lock up my bags, and I can't get them - and they would be on my flight tomorrow. I really didn't trust them getting on my flight, and wanted flexibility to look into other options - so we (found a nice person at the baggage area who got our bags for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5840) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Continental is here on island and planning on leaving this morning. Was just at the airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good Morning All, I hope all that in the way of this nasty storm are AOK...

we are at the Atlanta airport and they say we are going to Bonaire today...Please keep your fingers and toes crossed that we don't get stuck in Jamaica. I truly feel sorry for the island of Jamaica and the others that will be in Dean's path...You'll all take care. Scott

Debbie, Do you know Francey? The girls may not get there until after we do? Let me know please. Scott

Also, when catching a cab at the airport, they will know where LBR is right? thanks , Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2836) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Air Ja has not announced the cancellation of flights BUT rumor on all the travel boards is that flights are expected to cancel. Since I do not recommend listening to ANYTHING unofficial please contact the airline for further directive. It's a crap shoot really..should I try and go or not...I do know this storm is VERY large, very strong and is expected to hit Montego Bay as a Cat. 5 storm (multiple weather sources). Read www.stormcarib.com for updated weather spotter reports from ALL the islands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koma aka Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4988) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Best of luck Scott. If the cab driver doesn't know where LBR is tell him to take a left out of the airport and follow the main road south. LBR will be on your right after about 1 1/2 mile. Have fun!!

p.s.: I am bad with distances but you should have no problem finding it:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian - Trip in sight - next month!!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3101) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good Luck Scott we hope a window opens for you get to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5842) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, yes, I know Francey. Hope you make it safe and sound here. Got a wind reversal going on, waves are huge crashing the shoreline here at LBR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey debbie, thanks...you have an email coming your way....appreciate any help you can give. Scott and Troy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5843) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, most of the cab drivers know where LBR is, if not, Koma is right about the directions, take a left out of the airport and it is about 4 kilometers on your right hand side, there is a lighthouse replica on the main road, turn right there, you will be here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koma aka Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4990) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, I was not right - just lucky:-) Hugs, T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the Houston flight made it just fine. We did have to get off one plane and get on another because of mechanical issues, but we still landed within about 40 minutes of our regular time. Sitting here typing from Buddy Dive, yay.

Jeff, if you get this, shoot me an email when you know if your plane is going or not. We're not diving today anyway, lots of surge and stiff breeze blowing west to east, which is weird for Bonaire. Can't do our checkout dives. Room 407 when you get here.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay aka Kali and Kai (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4497) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulations Mike
Fingers & toes crossed for Jeff and Vanessa and all the rest who were traveling this weekend.
Please check in to let us know you've arrived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian - Trip in sight - next month!!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3102) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott's flight has just left MoBay for Bonaire hopefully they are on it. Looks like a bumpy ride with the storm between them and Bonaire. I wonder which way around it they will go, I guess clockwise for a tail wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6192) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm presently at Gate 1D in San Juan, and it looks like the flight (home) to Bonaire is on time tonight... Fingers crossed..

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4890) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow...good luck! Talk about cutting it close! Hope all goes well....!!!! Suprised to here they wouldn't have cancelled flights by now.
Thank gosh for radar!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6193) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So I just met Jeff in line for the bus here at SJU. He was first to get on so he didn't get stuck again :-) Looks like we have a plane but it's heading out about a half hour late.

Also, they are only taking the first 41 people because they had to take on extra fuel to go around the hurricane. There will be a lot of upset people at the back of the line...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2588) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope Jake and Jeff have a comfortable ride to Bonaire! Turboprops go sort of low and slow for this sort of weather. Shades of the days of DC-3s: lots of up, down and around!

Better to bounce than stay in SJ!!!

(Message edited by glenr on August 18, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (BonaireTalker - Post #82) on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just wanted to let you know that we arrived in Bonaire safely with only a few delays...We're praying for all those in Dean's path...Scott

hope our girls get here tomorrow....scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay aka Kali and Kai (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4522) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, Jeff and everyone else yet to get to Bonaire this weekend, good wishes abound for your safe arrivals.
Please keep us informed :-)

Thanks for the updates too! We definitely worry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi Akoni (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #163) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

August 19, 2007
8:00 AM EDT
3 Day Estimated Track

Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi Akoni (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #164) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Satellite
August 19th
12:45 UTC
8:45 EDT (If I did the math right)

dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #994) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am SO glad you guys got into Jamaica and OUT as soon as you did, Scott and others.

Jake...glad you got out of San Juan as well :-)

Glad everyone is on island; enjoy the diving and check in as your time allows!

Kobi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Robertson Gray (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

All BTer's for the week of Aug 17 -25 made it. Rain passed through last night. Looks like the big "h" is mostly past us. Did loose power for 4 hrs last night. Headed to Oil Slick and checking out the water.

Later,

V

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay aka Kali and Kai (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4528) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Kobi, that looks really bad for Jamaica. I'm saying a big prayer for that island right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pinky Dinki Do I NEED A TRIP IN SIGHT (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2655) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, glad you made it. Jake, how was the flight??? bumpy??? eee gads!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6194) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Flight was actually very smooth except for about 2 minutes near Bonaire, less bumpy than my flight from Miami earlier in the day.

Torrential showers started soon after we arrived (with my luggage, though), and lots of thunder and distant lightning.

As V says, we lost power (ours was out for about 6 hours) - made for a miserable welcome home, but at least I got home :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2590) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good-o, Jake.

Ah, the advantages of today's radar, satellites and 'flying around the weather'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi Akoni AKA Steve (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

track

satellite

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration