BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AMEX new program
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: AMEX new program
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1007) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 8:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AMEX now has a Travel delay protection plan that sounds pretty good!
https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/travel/travel_delay/coverage.do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1022) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron..Is this the right URL. Am unable to access.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise K (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1561) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can not open it either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #440) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince
I found it here
https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/travel/travel_delay/product.do?us_nu=leftnav
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1024) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 1:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron/Mickey.. Doesn't work either..I believe you have to sign in in order to access. at any rate for the others who are interested here's the gist..
Covers Certain Expenses if Your Flight is Delayed

If your flight is delayed, this insurance reimburses Covered Expenses, including hotel accommodations, transportation, food, and necessities, up to $250 per day for up to two days. Enroll now and receive a complimentary Weekender Bag.††
As an enrolled Business Cardmember, you get:
• Up to $200 per day for a maximum of two days, if no alternative transportation is made available by 9 p.m. of the same day.
• Up to $50 per day, for a maximum of two days, if no alternative transportation is made available within three hours of the original Scheduled Airline flight.
• No fee to enroll.
• A low $9.95 premium per Covered Person, per Covered Trip, each time a Scheduled Airline flight is purchased with your enrolled Business Card until you terminate your enrollment.
• Convenience of having the premium automatically billed to your Business Card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1008) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I cut and pasted the url and can't get it to open either?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #441) on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eh strange
I got in by Googling "Amex travel delay protection" then looked in the URL for 152 and clicked that link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anne B F (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have used the travel delay and baggage delay from Amex and they have always been wonderful. I went on a cruise but my bags didn't show up for 3 days s since we were out to see. They paid for the stuff you need like they do with the travel delay. I also use the Premium Car rental insurance from them. Extremely handy for renting trucks in Bonaire. trucks are not normally covered but they are on AMEX. AND there is only a 24.95 charge for the entire rental none of this $xx per day stuff.

Usually they automatically charge you when you book an airline ticket on AMEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ScubaBanker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #651) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 12:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Also I don't know if you all know this but if you charge something and it gets stolen within 90 days amex will refund the charge for that item. I called when I had just charged my cell phone the week before and it got stolen and they refunded the charge. On the other hand I bought something else with a discover card and when I called and ask them if they had such a policy they said no. So from now on I am charging everything on AMEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't mean to sound too ignorant, but is this considered "trip insurance"? We need to purchase trip insurance and a search on the Net returns that AMEX sells trip insurance.

We do not hold an AMEX card, but this sounds really good and the search also indicated that you don't have to be a cardholder.

Any other suggestions for trip insurance?

Thanks!
-Brad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1025) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anne. Smart Lady..I've posted about this on numerous occasions under the "Getting Around" section. Why people still insist on paying the outrageous CDWs from the rental companies is really beyond me. If a rental company will not accept AMEX, frankly I take my business elsewhere.

To further expand, INITIALLY when CDW was first introduced it was to cover the collision DEDUCTIBLES written on a fleet basis for the rental company. This has now morphed into charging you these outrageous per diem rates & on top of that (as if that wasn't insulting enough)charging you a deductible even when you purchase the coverage!

As I've also posted before, if your insurance company charged you $10 per day for collision coverage I suspect you'd be shopping around real fast when you got your annual insurance premium. Yet many of the car rental companies get away with it. Just M2C.
SB..I love my AMEX card. I hate to use Visa or MC!
Sounds like a commercial doesn't it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anne B F (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

VInce

One accident in Cayman proved the value of Amex Premium car rental. Its the driving on the wrong side that got us....(I wasn't driving)..totalled.
We didn't have to pay a penny.

I'm with you on the AMEX only - especially when travelling. They really stand behind their card. My cruise to Hawaii was the other time. Lost bags, stolen travellers checks - all taken care of immediately. Just call them - checks replaced within hours and then save all of the receipts for stuff you had to buy since I didn't have my luggage. They even paid for a new set f fins when my bags were delayed getting to Bonaire. I just love getting new stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #499) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One thing you might check on is when renting a truck, are you covered if off road (such as the park & several of the dive sites)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anne B F (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's the beauty of the Premium Car rental - it does cover a rented truck that is taken "off Road" like for dive sites. I called AMEx and confirmed it with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #500) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 6:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do use Amex prem ins. When I called them 2 years ago, they told me , as long as I was not drive somewhere you needed 4 wheel drive, the truck or suv would be covered. They do understand that some islands such as Bonaire, rent mostly pickups & have many dirt roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ScubaBanker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #653) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 7:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

At bank of america we just started issuing American express and when I tell people all the features they are like get me that card.
American express should give me money the way I go on and on about it with my clients just last quarter I most of took applications for at least 50 cards.
If you have a bank of america near you go there to get it in the banking center because right now they are having a promotion if you sign up in the banking center first time you charge on it they will give you a $25.00 statement credit. Double points till Dec. Plus no annual fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1950) on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - 10:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Christine,
I got the BOA American Express last year, but when I called to asked about the Premium Car Insurance, they acted like I had two heads then said "well, BOA American Express doesn't offer that." I ended up getting a regular AMEX card so that I could take advantage of the premium car insurance.

If BOA AMEX offers it, they should get the word out - I haven't used that card at all, mostly because I was ticked off about it not being "the same" as regular AMEX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ScubaBanker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #655) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 1:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The person did not know what they are talking about. American express is American express how we got them is because when we bought out mbna they had mbna American Express. I just had a customer who works on wall street during the week and comes to fl on weekends to be with her husband ask me about the black card american express that we are offering up there. Had no idea what she was talking about did some phone calling and they are test marketing it there I guess we will get it here sometime. But it suppose to be for people who charge over 35k a year and they get all these extra perks like when ever you travel you get into any airlines crown room and not have to pay for it. But if you don't charge that much then the annual fee is crazy.
If you get a person who doesn't know which they should ask to speak to a supervisor and that will usually do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1951) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 7:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did everything I could to try to get them to understand that it was *extra*, called "PREMIUM" for a reason, that it was something AMEX offered. I begged, I cajoled... Nada. :-)

I think it's just a reflection of poor telephone customer support in general: badly trained, low paid, often outsourced... you get what you pay for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carter farrell (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 6:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seams every country has its own type of AmEx cards. In Sweden I have a card based on income and a high yearly card cost. It does not cover any pick-up that is registered as a truck. It does however, have dive insurance! Yup, as long as you don't dive deeper than 140feet it covers all expenses in case of a medical emergency (for the entire dive family). Lot's of other perks too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Gutman (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know offhand which car rental companies on Bonaire accept Amex?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration