BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Is this a crazy idea?? Just trying to save money....
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Is this a crazy idea?? Just trying to save money....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Fox on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about SFO to CUR on AA then CUR to BON on Divi Divi??? Am I nuts!

I live in the SF bay area and the cheapest fare I can get to Bonaire is about $900.00 for any airline. But I can get to Curacao for $575.00!

Is this Divi Divi Air reliable enough to get me from Curacao to Bonaire? If they are I could really save some money when my boys and I visit next June. It would save us about a thousand bucks which would just about pay for us to stay and dive.

If anyone can help me with more information on Divi Divi as far as schedule goes I would appreciate it. I have been to their website, but the flights are not posted. I cannot wait to get back to Bonaire. This will be my two sons first dive trip and I wanted them to see the best right out of the chute!

Thanks,
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David,

That should work fine. Divi Divi is a charter airline, so they don't have fixed schedule, but they do fly numerous times daily. The only two outages they've had were: 1) 3 days out for regular maintenance; 2) out a couple of days after one of the passengers popped the emergency exit at take off accidentally (plane had no problems returning to the airport but needed to wait for a safety inspection, which they passed just fine).

As a back-up, you can also take the Ferry between Curacao and Bonaire - search here for "ferry".

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Fox on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

Thanks. Do you know if you can purchase tickets on DDA in advance, or would I wait until I get to the Curacao airport from Miami? Or is it the kind of deal where they fly when they have people to fly? Oh the trials..... I really am going to invest in that Star Trek transporter next year...

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'd recommend booking ahead of time and letting them know how you're connecting from the U.S., that way they will be awaiting you and have space reserved. Make sure to tell them how much luggage you'll have too.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 2:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

David -- I believe you can get a better price ticket w/ fewer changes of planes thru Air Jamaica. When you go to their website, make sure you click on "specials". I just checked it out.
good luck. mimi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Divi Divi can be reserved in advance and they accept credit cards. Check their web site www.baibini.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Fox on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mimi and Michael, I will check out both AJ's specials and Divi Divi through their websites. I'm not sure I can wait 6 months to get back, I may just have to sneak over sooner!

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 5:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David,

You didn't say when you wanted to travel. American Airlines has some great fares from SFO-BON.
For travel Monday - Thrusday I saw a fare for $528.70 including taxes round trip (NX3C4B2). For travel Friday - Sunday I saw a fare for $560.95 including taxes round trip (NW3C4B2).
Travel had to be completed by May 19, 2002 and tickets have to be purchased by December 28, 2001.

Please go to your local travel agent (they need the business) and see if they can help you.

Be flexible with your travel dates if you can and you can get a pretty good fare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

FYI--- I just got a copy of the 2002 GWV Travel Catalog for the Boston, MA area and it seems that they are going to fly to Bonaire again. Has anyone heard anything on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darlene,

Not that this helps David, but GWV's Web site also indicates they still fly Bonaire. I've sent them a message to confim.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They told me NO to BON but who the heck knows..maybe they changed. The book is printed in the summer when they had planned the destination but if it is still on the web, maybe!

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marion Wilson on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The last information I received on GWV is that both Bonaire and Curacao are out of this year's schedule but they will be going to Aruba.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration