BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Passport application-Day 6
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: Passport application-Day 6
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #635) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked online, and my passport is now being processed. Only thing that really irritates me (and I hope it's not a problem) is that they said I applied for routine service. Interesting, because they had no problem cashing the check for expedited service! I'm hoping that's an input error. I'll wait another week and start the phone calls.

At least they seem to have started pretty quickly...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Dunn (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you sent in a valid passport I bet it will be back to you in a week either way (expedited or routine). At least that's what happened to my wife. Two weeks after taking it to the Post Office, she got back the pp priority mail. She did not do expedited. We are in MN, so maybe that makes a difference (low population area).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #139) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It took my wife 4 months for a renewal. She was getting ready to go to Ireland and sent away in what she thought was plenty of time. She ended up talking to someone at the passport office that was somewhat less than helpful. It took a call to our senator's office and them making an inquiry to get the passport unstuck. Funny how that works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Z (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A friend of mine has just started her 5th month waiting for her passport. She even called her congressman. His office said to wait until 2 weeks from trip, then call back. They said that they are over run with calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #636) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I got an e-mail yesterday saying it was being processed, and that I had requested expedited service (contrary to the first response they sent). They said I should expect it 2-3 weeks after the original date since it's expedited.

I think MAYBE I'll be ok-I suspect a lot of the people waiting 4 or 5 months hit the summer rush as travel peaks then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1103) on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The newspapers say that the passport office is extremely backlogged and are answering the situation with trying to re-hire some retired workers. They said to exspect a longer wait then usual(the norm is 6 wks.) while they are trying to get it fixed.
So don't wait until too near to the date to put in or renew one. You can get applications at US post offices and some even process them there.
You can find help about it on usps.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4880) on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 4:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My friend Liz put in for a renewal (expedited service plus paid for the return envelope to be expedited) she received her renewed passport in two weeks. The post office tried to deliver it on Sat. (yesterday) and she was not home. She called and said she would be home on Monday for their next delivery...it arrived today (Sunday!) Imagine that.....?
Good luck!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration