BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Renew pasport or not?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-09-30: Renew pasport or not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am going to Bonaire Aug 18-25. My US passport is current but expires in November, not quite 90 days after my Bonaire trip. I have heard that a passport should be valid for 6 months after any proposed travel.

If I try to renew my passport now, there is no guarantee I will have it back in time for the trip, even with paying for expedited service.

If I don't renew prior to my trip, do I risk not being able to board the plane or getting into Bonaire?

So, even though the US might/will let me back in with proof of renewal application, will I be abel to get into Bonaire if I don't actually have my renewed passport?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #619) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think I'm understanding-if you're leaving August but your passport doesn't expire until November, why renew it now (unless you have another overseas trip planned)? It will be good in August; shouldn't be any problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5734) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT, Mike.

Your passport is suppose to be valid for at least 90 days after your departure date, so this is potentially a problem. I'm not real sure how this problem for crop up, though. I doubt that anyone would say anything before you leave and once you get to immigration in Bonaire I doubt they would send you back. It would still be prudent to try and get it renewed before you leave. IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #640) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard from others that if you pay for expedited service you will get it back in 2 weeks.

My passport also expires in November, I need to travel for business on Aug 12, am submitting my expedited application next week & my office has no concerns that I will get it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tel Aviv (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I suggest that you don't try to renew it at this time. There is a major backlog. Expedited or not, the Passport Offices are overloaded. It took my parents over 2 months to get their passport back and that was in the slow January season. It's gotten much worse since then. You have a return airplane ticket stating you're scheduled to leave well before the passport expiration date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #620) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can someone explain the 90 day rule stated above? I've never heard of it. I called AAA and spoke with a travel agent who said as long as your passport is not expired, you're fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norm Scandy (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found this on the US State Dept web: "Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. If your passport expires before the required validity, you will have to apply for a new one". So, this is nothing new so I think I would look around for another travel agent to give me advise before travelling.
It is a bit strange to be a European and watch the long discussions that take place between Americans on various boards about passports; whether to have or get one; whether other documents will do etc. The rest of the world, that wants to travel, make sure that they have a valid passport and get it renewed in time when needed. I think Americans may as well get used to doing it likewise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john merriner (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My daughter paid the expiditing(sp) fee and received her passport within 2 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #622) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've decided that's what I'm going to do-I leave in November, then it expires in Feb. Had no idea about this rule-this is my first time renewing. I'm willing to pay the extra fee to get it done on time-am getting pix tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2787) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My passport expired in July. I left Bonaire late April to head to the US for family business and had my passport renewed expedited. It took 2 weeks to come back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Norm,

I think Americans are used to and know the rules about needing passports. That is not the problem. The problem is that the US state department has instituted new rules about when passports are required. As such, plus with the addition of all the extra security checks the passport office does before issuing one, the wait time to get a passport has become incredibly long. The government's own information states that "normal" processing can be 12-16 weeks. Expediting, which requires an extra fee, used to take a week or two, but now can take up to six weeks. Some have had better luck, but it has become difficult to plan a trip that is less than several months out because of this.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anne B F (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One of my friends sent his passport in for renewal 10 weeks before his trip to Italy and had to fight to get it in time. I would be very careful of the timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Willoughby (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recently had my passport renewed. It took four months and 2 to 3 phone calls a day for nearly two weeks to get it back on time for a trip to Belize. This was with expedited service. For those of you that had this done in two weeks, you were lucky. The Seattle passport agency just and an article in our local paper that they have 110,000 passports sitting on desks,in closets and cupboards waiting to be processed. When I sent mine in, I was told. "No Problem" You have plenty of time. 4 months later when I had ten days until my trip, I was told the same thing. 3 days before my trip I called again and was told that they had not even started on it.
I did get it in time, but it came the day before I left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlotte (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You may want to check with your airline. I have heard of an instance where someone was unable to board his flight (not to Bonaire) because there wasn't enough time left on his passport:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=1861321&highlight=passport

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #624) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, did you go the regular route or expedite it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, AKA Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4550) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems that processing times vary depending on which passport center you will be handled through. We had several students this year cancel their study abroad classes because they could not get their passports on time. Some paid for the expedited (and did not have them within the 5 weeks they had to get them); some went the normal route and they took more than 3 months. We are outside Chicago and I would assume that the students all used local passport agencies. I did have one student who ended up going to the location in Chicago and paid for an emergency passport - very expensive, but same day service. He waited in line almost 6 hours because the place was packed. You take a risk right now with renewals. Sometimes it comes back in time, other times it does not.

As for Bonaire, didn't the government just relax the restrictions for the Caribbean again? I think I recall reading that it was back to birth certificates. Check the DOS website for the updated information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, AKA Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4551) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a snipet from the DOS website. I suggest everyone renewing head over there. They list the length of time it will take and lots of other information. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

"U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cat logan (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I applied in mid May, and just got ours now. We just did regular delivery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith sutton (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Called the Dutch embassy yesterday and they verify that all you need to enter Bonaire is a proof of application for US passport and a government-issued photo ID, same rules as are required to re-enter USA with the present passport SNAFU. Rules apply until September 30th.
I have been waiting for 4 weeks for an "expedited" passport for my 18 year old son, and am departing for Bonaire on Aug 11...am only slightly panicked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jane Rene Dozier (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our passports expire Dec. 7, so I wanted to check into renewing them. The post office (where I was going to get them) said that they are extremely backed up. One guy that worked there put in (and paid for)for expedited service in March or April, and has still not received them. I got on the website to fill out all my forms and ran across a document you can download that verifies that you are in the process of renewing your passport. If you show that document, that will get you into anywhere in Canada, USA, Mexico, and Caribbean. It does NOT cover you for any other countries. I don't have the web address, but am sure you can Google it. Hope that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norm Scandy (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 4:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike - maybe it has changed now, but we did experience both in Jamaica two or three years ago and last year in Bonaire a few Americans that would stand at the counter at immigration in the airport and show a combination of birth certificate, marriage certificat, drivers license and god knows what else. It seemed a bit strange when a passport will do the job. Perhaps the problem is that everybody is rushing to get one now. I hope you all make it and don't get planed holidays messed up. Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Willoughby (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary,

I used the expedited service and it still took four months.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #626) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, today I went to the P.O. and had the renewal app sent priority with a return receipt, so I will know when they received it. I marked the envelop "expedite" on the outside.

Thanks for all the info. I'll let the board know how long it takes.

P.S. The post office said they've hired a bunch of new people to handle the volume. Of course, they still have to be trained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cat logan (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You didn't have to do the return receipt. Don't forget, if you go to travel.state.gov/passport you can check on the status of your passport. It will let you know when it was received, the status (ie processing) and when it ships they will give you the delivery confirmation number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Willoughby (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think the return receipt was probably a good idea. It took 3 months before my status showed up on the website. In fact having proof of delivery may be the only reason that I did get my passport back in time even considering that it took 4 months to get it back.
However, Mary, I am assuming that you sent the actual applicaton "expedite" with the additional fees? If not, they won't expedite it just because it says so on the envelope.

Good luck.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #627) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yes, $127 dollar check enclosed. And I wanted them to have to sign for it, because I can use that if there's a problem.

What I think is ridiculous is that even if the passport isn't expired, you have to renew it so it's current past your travel date. While I understand what potential problems might be with someone traveling with an almost expired passport, it seems like the expiration date isn't even valid.

Leave it to this board (again) to let me know so I could take care of it in advance. What a great resource!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cat logan (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is what I find strange. I know all about the problems they are having getting all these new passports out on time. But we paid for the regular 10-12 week processing time, and got ours back in 8 weeks. The only thing I can think of is, I've been watching the status on the passport site. It always said processing, so I emailed them regarding mine and my husband's, because there is a link to email regarding an update on the status. It said you get a response in 2 days. Well, 2 days later, I didn't get a response, so I checked back, and apparently they had been shipped. Maybe just because they had to actually check on them, they processed them? I don't know. I just find it weird that people are waiting a lot longer than the 10-12 week time and we got ours in 8. Maybe email them and see if it works for you too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #628) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like a good idea-which is also why I had them sign for it. They have to sign a receipt, maybe they'll notice the "expedite" on the envelope. Anything to make it stand out from the masses (unlike tax returns!!!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay aka Kali and Kai (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4080) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sheesh, and I thought I ran a Mom & Pop joint :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Dunn (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

1) We went to St. Martin early June for a week. My wife's US passport expired July something this year.

2) When we got back she sent her passport for renewal (NO expediting) on June 28th. The new one came back July 14th. Were we shocked!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I did decide to renew ahead of time, so we'll see how that goes. I did mark expedite, pay the expedite fee, plus I also provided an expedited return envelope. The information that I can still travel with proof of renewal application and my birth cert/driver's license helps a lot since then it really doesn't matter if I get the actual passport back in time.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eckhaus (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, there was a panic for no reason on my part. I got my passport back in two weeks. Maybe the fact that I was renewing a currently valid passport helped, or maybe all the people they just hired are actually getting down to work, or whatever, but I'm happy.

Three weeks from today I get on the plane for Bonaire, yay!

Mike

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration