BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AIRLINE UPDATES (AA & AJ) & Tropical Travel update, too
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: AIRLINE UPDATES (AA & AJ) & Tropical Travel update, too
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is some information which is helpful from the Bonaire E-Z News. Thought I would pass it on. Hope it is helpful. I hope I am not violating and copywrite laws or any BT bylaws by posting this information! Carole

News You Can Use

Airline Schedule Changes Announced - Effective December 2, 2001 American Eagle's flights from Bonaire to/from Aruba will operate on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with three flights per day between the islands. For more information on American Airlines/American Eagle service to Bonaire visit http://www.aa.com. Effective March 3, 2002 Air Jamaica will change the days of operation of its three times weekly service from Montego Bay to Bonaire from Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday to Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. For more information on Air Jamaica service to Bonaire visit http://www.airjamaica.com

Due to the ceasing of operations by Tropical Adventures and Dive Tours, Caradonna Caribbean Tours will be assisting people that booked travel to Bonaire through these companies. Agents from Caradonna are in the process of contacting all clients with pending reservations, with priority given to those with travel dates in the immediate future. Anyone who booked travel to Bonaire through these companies is urged to contact Caradonna Caribbean Tours at 1-800-328-2288, email sales@caradonna.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan & Joan Zale on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice and useful update. This is what BT is for. Thanks for posting this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beth Comeau on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 10:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am a little confused. AA recently cancelled all Saturday Flights from Bon to Aruba and told us they were only flying from Bon to Aruba on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Does this mean that the Sat Flight is back on and the Sunday Flights have all been cancelled. The AA Web site does not show any Sat Flights to Bon but the flights for Sun are still listed....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, there's a bit of good AA news today. It appears that as of today, AA is operating daily (except for Mondays) from San Juan to Bonaire. The flights are already in the AA reservations system.

That just saved me two wasted days in Boston in Feb/March!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After AA abandoned the Aruba-Bonaire flights, and never told me, they did rebook me Boston SJ-Bonaire, at my request--after offering Boston-LaGuardia-Kennedy-SJ-Bonaire!!!! And the return is on a Monday, January 21, so maybe they're flying Mondays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The plane from San Juan overnights here on Bonaire. They don't fly Mondays from San Juan but Sunday's plane will leave Bonaire to San Juan on Monday morning. This also means no Tuesday departure from Bonaire. Confusing, eh?

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, did they really book you into LGA and then out of JFK? Do they provide the transfer, or expect you to hop a cab?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

so let me get this straight... they are going to return the plane on Monday morning empty, and bring another in on Monday night for the Tuesday departure? You sure they aren't taking the plane off to another island for a run? It's unlike AA to waste a hop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I didn't explain it properly. You can fly FROM San Juan TO Bonaire Tuesday through Sunday (i.e. not on Monday). You can fly FROM Bonaire TO San Juan Wednesday through Monday (i.e. not on Tuesday, since no plane was left overnight on Bonaire the night before because there was no Monday flight FROM San Juan).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By De Etta on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you AA. Hope they are able to maintain the SJ - Bonaire connection. We just booked this route for March last Sat. Actually, Mpls-Chicago-SJ-Bonaire, and with the cheapest fare we have ever paid, I might add. One day's travel, albeit a very long day, no more ALM, and cheap tickets, payday! Dara, this is an awesome route if you ever decide to come back. Can't say anyone would blame you if you didn't though. Let's see, MN or Bonaire. Tough decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 6:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the explanation of the plane having a sleepover on Bonaire. Maybe I'm done with ...No, I don't even want to commit that thought to paper, or ether. I switched the conversation away from changing airports in NYC before transfers were discussed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michele Acker on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 11:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The first set of freq flyer tickets I reserved had the LaGuardia-JFK switch and you are responsible for getting from one airport to the other yourself. I was concerned that you would need an extra long layover, not just for traffic, but for security and check-in at the second airport. Luckily we got better tickets through Chicago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Newsgroup Moderator on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I moved the discussion of Feb/March 2002 BonaireTalkers on Bonaire to a new topic under Everything Else, as it didn't have much to do with AA/AJ flight schedules :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am getting ready to buy our Bonaire tickets for next May. Leave Boston on 4 May and return 18 May. AA has okay fares going through San Juan, PR. I wonder about the time between flights in San Juan on the return, it's only about an hour. If we have to go through customs, that's not much time. Has anyone made that flight? Do you have to go through customs in San Juan or is it done when we arrive in Boston?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay-
Just got back on Wed night, and we did AA BON-SJU-BOS route. The flight was an hour late leaving BON due to the glacially slow check-in/baggage inspection (is this a regular thing for AA on BON? Anyone know?). So, we missed our 10:35 flight to BOS, but not a huge deal as they re-scheduled us on a 12:00 noon flight to BOS, so we only had to wait an hour. All the New York people missed their connecting flight, and Chicago people too. Bummer was that we then had to wait almost 4 hours for the next flight to Nantucket!! Still, can't wait to go back! (Feb 28 and counting...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kate... Sounds like the 12:00 flight might be worth booking in any case - just to make sure there are seats for us.
Did you go through customs in San Juan or in Boston?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay, when I came home in Oct. I think Faith and Dad did just that. But happily our flight left BON in time.

Kate, welcome back to the Cape and Islands. Dont forget our January Ponche Kuba night..

:)

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay,

Yes - you clear immigration and customs in San Juan after leaving Bonaire.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys. I am going to try for the later flight in San Juan. I would rather sit around the airport than worry about getting through customs in one hour or less. The fare looks to be less than $500 each. I will let y'all know how it turns out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 10:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay-
Meant to say that Immigration and Customs, both, were like ghost towns in San Juan...piece of cake. Had we been on time fron BON, we could easily have made that tight connection. FYI, you have to walk like a mile from the gate to Immigration in SJU. Which reminds me of my pet peeve: people who just stand on the People Movers. We were hoofing it, trying to make that connection! If you're old and/or lazy, please stand to the right! Thank you.
Annie, the bottle of Ponche Kuba made it back in one piece and it's on my kitchen counter, awaiting our PBD party!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update... Just booked the flights on AA. Fare was $396.70 each. I did get the return flight with a little over 2 hours between arrival and departure in San Juan. As I said, I don't mind waiting an extra hour in the airport.

Kate, those people that stand on the left on the slidewalk are also on my list. Ditto the ones that stand in the doorway of the plane to hug and kiss all the people meeting them, keeping everyone behind them captive on the plane. Guess with the new security regulations that last peeve may not be a problem any longer. As far as I know you can't get through security to meet people at the gates now unless you have a compelling reason to get a gate pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay-
Did you mean $369.70? Just saw that on the AA website...great fare!! And thanks for the heads up on that -- I called them and they are issuing me a $300 travel voucher because I paid $669 for my ticket. It's great that they'll do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie is correct. Faith and I booked the later flight SJU-BOS after hearing about issues with getting through SJU customs. We probably could have made the earlier flight, but it wasn't a big deal.

We headed to the AA Club, where I was able to dial in and get the latest email download to sort through on the plane ride north.

I'm just as happy to have the extra time between flights and not have to rush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kate.. It was $353 + $43.70 fees and taxes that brought it to $397.70. That's the least we have paid in 7 years.
Good thing too, since I got caught by the "October axe". 20% of my department got downsized. I was planning to retire in May but the b......s beat me to it!

Oh well, I can spend a lot more time sailing next summer. Got to get enough sailing experience to be able to take that sailboat we are going to buy across to the islands and hopefully all the way to Bonaire.
Great about you being able to get a $300 voucher. That's a pretty substantial saving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA:BON-AUA????????
I was just looking at the AA site, trying to figure out how we are going to leave BON on (or about) Saturday, Mar 9, since we have tickets on AA to AUA, and AA hasn't told us yet that they cancelled Saturday flights. But, NO AA Bonaire-Aruba Flights show up ANY DAY after 6 January!!! Have they cancelled all of their Aruba/Bonaire service after next week????????????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chet,

I've checked around, and it's looking like American may have changed/dropped the flights very recently. I've not been able to get any official confirmation on this, but as soon as I do, I'll let you know.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone asked AA, a real person at AA, what is happening?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, My sister was just informed yesterday that her BON-AUA-BOS flight on 31 march had been changed. It would now be BON-SJU-AUA-BOS. That's right. That's how they re-booked her, as stupid as it looks. She called and raised holy hell (had to play the get-me-a-supervisor card) and 2 hours later, they re-booked her BON-SJU-BOS. Yikes..it's scary out there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, January 3, 2002 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rumor has it that AA is in trouble, any concerns for committing with them now for a trip in May?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration