BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Connection on AA in San Juan
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Connection on AA in San Juan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gianos on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are headed over in December via AA/American Eagle. Our connection time in San Juan is now only about an hour because of a flight change. Will this be enough time, is it quick to go from flight to flight in San Juan?

Thanks,

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That will depend on how ‘on time’ your flight is. American Eagle is on the opposite side of the airport that you’ll come in from on your American flight so if you’re running late you’ll want to hustle to the other side. I’ve done it myself several times going to various Caribbean islands and haven’t had too much trouble, often with the same amount of layover. Of course that was pre 911.

Personally I’m always glad to have a short layover in SJU, nothing to do in the airport, slim pickings for food and shopping.

You should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2Nancys on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did not enjoy the SJU connection. When we disembarked there were no signs or personel to direct us to our American Eagle connecting flight. We did see an exit to the outside, so we decided to go out for a smoke. DON'T DO THAT! When we went back to go through security, the line was so long, I was concerned that we would miss our flight and we had a 2.5hr layover!
Next time we fly, we will try going through Aruba if at all possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

San Juan is a little confusing.

When you come off a regular AA flight you may be at any of the gates in a large V pattern. Head to the base of the V, security will be in front of you. Go to the right through an opening feeling hallway. You are aiming for Gate 1. Keep on going past gates, stores, eating places. Gate 1 is down the escalator near gate 2. Gate 1 is really lots of little gates 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d? You board a little bus to drive out to the American Eagle flights.

On the return through San Juan, you have to go through immigration and customs. The little bus takes you to an entry. Up the escalator and start walking - it's a long, long way. Go through immigration, down the escalator, pick up your luggage, through customs, and out of the baggage claim area (with your bags). To the right are conveyor belts to take your checked bags again. Head past the bag checkin, staying to the right. You go through airport security to enter the gate/terminal area. You end up at the base of the V for the regular AA flights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 12:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On my one trip down and back through SJU, it seemed like any other passage through an airport on the way down. I do believe Snorkelguy's comment would better read '...across the terminal...' vice '..across the airport..'--all the gates are in one large terminal building, not like ATL, JFK, DFW, etc.

As Linda said, on the way back it seems like a two mile walk from the ramp area to Immigration--don't dawdle if you have a 1 hour interval between flights. A heavy carryon can get heavy!! If such are still allowed.

All in all, not bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I couldn't figure why they have everyone walk a mile for Immigration. They could EASILY put an entrance much closer for the bus to arrive at, like at the point where you make the turn at the end of the mile-long hall. Of course if the moving sidewalks actually functioned, that might help too.

For 2Nancy: NEVER, EVER go outside of the security area between flights. Even before 9/11, this could be problematic due to security re-entry delays. Then again, I'm not a smoker, and it may be there's no other place to smoke but outside security (though the AA Admiral's Club was QUITE smoky).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2Nancys on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wish I wasn't a smoker! but that's another story. I agree... I'll never, never, never do it again!!! I had forgotten that another reason I didn't like SJU was that longggggggg haul to immigration. Being smokers and fluffy types, we had to stop and rest now and then (good reason to stop smoking and lose weight!) I'm curious if Aruba has the same problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gianos on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all of the advice. I just hope AA can make it on time! About 6 weeks to go...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wimberly on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 9:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always figured that the hike was for two reasons. 1 - to wear you out and give you a chance to get nervous if you have something that you shouldn't. 2 - give the sniffer dogs a chance to check your bags before they hit the carousels. The only time I got checked was when I came back with an ear infection and was sweating and twitching every time I swallowed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 12:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think the long walk is to give the baggage folks a fighting chance... Even after we did the lengthy walk from the gate to immigration and waited in line at immigration, we still had to wait another 5 minutes or more at the baggage carousel...

Linda mentions baggage conveyor belts for putting rechecked bags once you exit customs. The day we came through (10/14), not one of those conveyor belts was working. We had to take our checked bags up to the ticket counter straight ahead and hand them off to the folks there. Suspect it may have had something to do with the heightened security. I'm curious if the rechecking conveyor belts are working again...

Faith

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration