BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Which airlines fly nonstop to bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Which airlines fly nonstop to bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephanie Ritter on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My parents are planning a trip for the family to Bonaire in December or January. We went last year and flew ALM and I was wondering what other airlines provide direct flights to Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Keith Myers on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 6:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let us know your "home" airport and I'm sure you'll get alot of helpful ideas. Am. Eagle from San Juan and AirJam from MoBay come to mind first. Look at www.infobonaire.com under the "getting there" link for a summary,however, some of the airline info. therein may be outdated. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Presently only KLM from Amsterdam and the ALM are direct, non stops. (and who knows re ALM) As mentioned, AJ and AE are now the newest options with American Eagle's three daily round trips to Bonaire which began this past monday. Of course if anyone knows the CEO of Ebay, he has a home here and flies his friends down via private jet quite often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bonaire Reporter this week says that DCE is now formally flying the ALM routes. 'DCE' is 'Dutch Caribbean Express'; don't know which is listed in schedules now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephanie Ritter on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 3:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you everybody. We are flying from Reno, Nevada on American Airlines to Miami. I will check the sites listed and the airlines mentioned. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stephanie
American now serves Aruba from Miami with 3 American Eagle flights daily between Aruba and Bonaire. You need to book at least 2 weeks in advance to get the best fair. DCE which took over the route from ALM flies from Miami but cancelled the Curacao to Bonaire connection which means an overnite, or trying to make a connection on Divi air, or even the new (but not yet started) ferry service to Bonarie from Curacao - which no one seems to think is will happen anyway, but all are hoping for.

Just something else to check out...

Hope you have a great time once you get there. We are going on Nov 1st - via Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stephanie and others,

Until DCE proves itself as a viable airline to Bonaire, I personally won't be flying them (I'll leave that to Jason :-) ). Definitely do the Miami-Aruba-Bonaire route if you can. That way you'll also be on American the whole way.

Alan - the ferry appears to still be on target for next month last I heard... Also, I don't know if DCE is doing MIA-BON as ALM used to.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 7:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake -

My travel agent (American Express) took care of this one. DCE did not agree to the Miami Curacao Bonaire connection (so there is a overnight on that route) and there is some rule (21 I think) that states that if they cancel the original route, you get a full refund. So we all are flying on American via Aruba and it is actually cheaper than the old ALM route via Curacao. We MIGHT even get to Bonarie before midnight.
Since the flights were all arranged thru American Airlines we don't have a problem with the refunds.

As far as the ferry, I hope this is right as we will be back in January for a few months, and a ferry over to Curacao might be a nice break to diving (not for me but my wife does not dive so I guess I will go with her - yah, right, especially if the waters gets really murky, they waves are really high, and the daytime temperature goes below 55 deg.f., and the clouds become really dark).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan,

Linda and I were discussing this (Linda was a travel agent in a former life), and both recalled that if the airline can't provide the routing (destination/date) originally promised, it must be willing to refund the ticket under IATA rules. I encourage anyone who has so been inconvenienced by ALM's recent last gasp of air to take advantage of this and switch to a more stable carrier like American or AJ (NOTE: This is merely my personal opinion, and other will undoubtedly disagree with me, which is their right).

One important thing - make sure to always pay for tickets with a credit card - an extra way to ensure that you get a refund that you're entitled to. Any other form of payment may be like flushing it down the toilet in the event the carrier goes belly up.

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration