BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Help, ALM has left us stranded...
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Help, ALM has left us stranded...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel roberts on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are visiting Bonaire in December and United Airlines just informed us that since they use Air ALM ,and since Air ALM isn't flying from Bonaire between 12/31 and 12/5 that we can't get home from Bonaire. This is as you can imagine very upsetting to us. What I am hoping for is any information on a boat or ferry that could get us between Curacao and Bonaire. We are booked round-trip to Curacoa just not into Bonaire. If such a service exists we sould be eternally greatful for any info on it. Thank you!!!- Rachel
p.s. I tried to post a similar message which didn't seem to take so if this is a duplicate, my appologies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 6:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rachel,
Can,t think of a better place to be stranded-- If you booked this thru United I would think that It would be their responsibility (sp) to get you home. Why can they get you there and not home?
I just got a call form Air Jamaica and they have canceled their Weds flights out of Boston- we are planning on being in Bonaire over Thanksgiving-- at least they were able to redo our IT. Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel roberts on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 6:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

United says they are helping us by getting us home 5 days late. Which would be wonderful but we are already staying for 12 days and we have to work sometime. We can still fly in and out of Curacao on time. Thanks for the well wishes and good luck to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will they resume service for the winter months?? YIKESSSSSSSSSSSS..I have flights Xmas on Sun. I hope they still fly then.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rachel, I understand that there will be a ferry service between BON/CUR sometime in the not too distant future.. I'm sure there's someone on this board that can fill you in.. Further, take a close look at your contract, perhaps United can assist you with an alternative!! Good luck, S:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 7:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Take American Eagle from Bonaire to Aruba and then American Airlines onto either Miami, Boston or JFK. ALM has to give you a refund, and that is the IATA law, since they are the ones that canceled the flight.
We just rebooked our Miami to Bonaire via ALM flights onto American via Aruba and had no problem with the refund, since DCE decdied not to run the Curacao/Bonaire flight that the Miami flight would normally connect onto. The cost is actually less than ALM (and now DCE) was via Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If ALM has any money!!! They have already defaulted on a lot of bills. Good news department!!! :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel roberts on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 1:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After another 45 minute conversation with United they informed me that Air ALM has sold their Curacao to Bonaire leg to Carribean Air. Apparently United is in negociations with another airline to cover their flights to Bonaire (sounded like it would be American)maybe that will make life better. Now all we need is a way back to Curacao, but thanks to all of your help at least now we have options. Thank you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 2:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a news clip on the charter flights between islands. I've heard that the prices are less than what ALM was charging for a roundtrip.

Since August 20th, 2001, the charter flights of Bai Bini Air Tours operated by Divi Divi
Air N.V have been serving Bonaire and Curacao. Things have been very profitable for
Bai Bini Air Tours and Divi Divi Air N.V. They have been serving the travel needs for
the air transport market between Bonaire – Curacao and visa versa. Hans P. Bart an
ex- ALM pilot, is operating Divi Divi Air, a 7-passengers beach craft. Divi Divi Air N.V in
conjunction with Bai Bini Air Tours has seven flights per day to Bonaire from Curacao
from 7:00 AM to 5:45 PM seven days a week. For reservations you can call
599-9-8881050/ 599-09-5631913 or in Bonaire call 717-5600 and ask for Yacinto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops, hit the post key too fast. Take out that 0 in the second phone number, It should be 599-9-5631913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the info about the ferry.

Keep an eye out for the arrival of Bonaire's new ferry boat, Chogogo. She's due to arrive sometime in the next week as deck cargo aboard the Danish freighter, Thor Sofia. She should be ready to begin making the trip between Bonaire and Curaçao around November 1. The fare will be NAƒ95 round trip. For more information call 717-7001
(from The Bonaire Reporter)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antonio Ferrer on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Chogogo" is a good name for an airplane! Does that mean she will fly? :-) The ferry should be called "Barracuda" or "Dolphin", or something like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any good ferry should '..go, go'!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

chogogo means Flamingo....I understand they will issue sea sick pills with tickets. (I believe this is a fact, but dont hold me to it!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In any case, it is better than ALM which named their airplanes after trees. I never could figure that one out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe because they were rooted to the ground so often??? Future foretold??? :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Birds land in trees....ALM...all luggage missing
always late, mon almost left miami. DCE??Let's put our collective heads together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 6:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does Come, Eventually!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great Chet - the exact explanation of the present situation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 10:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That says it all.....Different name, same poor performance. Doesn't Care Either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't Check Everything!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 5:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Possible DCE meanings (assuming that they carry their ALM heritage proudly):

Delaying Customers Eternally
Desperately Confusing Expedition
Delays Continually Excused
Dopey Carrier Excuses

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't Care Either

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration