BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Getting to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Getting to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Having been away frm the boards for awhile, I'm interested to learn any updates on travel to Bonaire. What are the current choices? What are the rates looking like? Are the flights (that are available) being reliable?

I'm coming from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, anyi=one with recent experience on any of this, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fly Air Jamaica!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know if the AJ connection through MoBay is doeable from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, or is a layover still required?

As for AE, are they still running through PR? Will the decision to operate through Aruba change that or just offer another option?

ALM? Gone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The AJ flight leaves from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. The AE flight may be in conjuction with SJ. Check out their web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Was the AJ flight today canceled due to the hurricane? I would imagine the airport in MB had to be shut down with the storm headed that way. Any word on the effects of this storm on AJ operations? Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought the Sunday flights were being suspended until high season? Check AJ web site for more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Lee on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, you are indeed correct, as we flew AJ last month. They suspended flights until late october, can't remember the thread though. Carole, checke with AJ. I have to say, that we were VERY impressed with Aj, they were wonderful, service, everything. On our way back from Bonaire to MB, there was a tropical storm that was in the area and we had to fly around Jamaica to get to the airport, we could see the "storm" at the center of the island, when we went to land, we got REALLY close to the runway, and they aborted last minute and we had the "oh, i think we can, i think we can...to get the dang plane back up to altitude, I was next to the window and got a bit freaked for the first time ever, I must admit. Anyway, they told us the winds had suddenly shifted and we were going to try from the other side, which worked out ok, but it was pretty rough...all in all, I have to say that they did a wonderful job, and knew what they were doing.

As my husband would say, "they knew when to pull out" and try another way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, would you do me a favor and call Benny and ask him to reply ASAP to my email asking about availability at Bonaire Town Homes in February.

Looks like our best bet will be AA from JFK-SJ-BON. There schedule will allow us to do the trip without a layover (which the AJ schedule would have in both directions), and the rates the AA website quoted for February were $353 from JFK. We can get ROC-JFK roundtrips on JetBlue for $88 (internet bookings, or $98 by phone/travel agent), so the fare is great.

I think Benny was holding February for me, but I don't want to book the air without confirming with him. Looks like I'll come for a month, but I don't think Alan wants to be away for so long... I really must see if I can get him to try diving, then get hooked so he'll want to stay longer. However, you know me, I'll be just fine there alone.

Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, October 8, 2001 - 9:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie...you are never alone on Bonaire...We all will be happy to have you and Alan Back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Monday, October 8, 2001 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This November trip will be our third with AJ...I have no complaints...maybe one: they should start the in-flight movie sooner or cut out some of their AJ "commercials" so that we can view the ENDING of the movie! This has happened quite a few times so far. I usually don't get into watching the movies, but my other half does and he gets ticked off each time. I always forget to point this out to AJ, however, once we are "home". cb

I was just curious as to whether or not they had closed down the airport in Jamaica the day the hurrican whizzing by. Sounds like you had one heck of an adventure there, Cynde Lee!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, October 8, 2001 - 9:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Michael. I heard from Benny and it looks like I'll be down there 2/5 to 3/5, and Alan 2/5 to 2/20. American all the way, $462.70, routing ROC-CHI-SJ-BON. All in one day, and all on the same airline. I think I prefer that rather than having to go via JFK and use JetBlue. I feel that if we're all on the same airline, we'll (maybe) get better service if changes/cancellations happen, as I suspect will continue for a while.

Wish it was sooner than Feb, but with the winter weather here, leaving Rochester for Bonaire in February is even more of a joy than at any other time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Monday, October 8, 2001 - 10:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Josie....I am so jealous!!! Are you shooting for the Advanced Open Water this trip?? hmmmm...I will be going for Thanksgiving but only for a week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

JUST BOOKED!!! We'll be there on 2/5, and I'm seriously thinking about doing the AOW, although I'm wondering if I should just get more practice first....

Also, my travel agent told me Continental has a fare sale going, and I just booked to go to visit the folks in England, out 12/25, back 1/3. Just $390 round trip from Rochester to Gatwick, connecting in Newark. I haven't seen a fare like that in 20 years, especially around holiday times. Just couldn't pass it up. I guess I'll do my bit to keep the airlines flying. Also saw JetBlue has $29 each way fares ROC-JFK --- trying to get a group of ladies together for a hot weekend in the Big City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just another route to watch. I checked AA for Flights to Bonaire in January 2002, and up came a route that shows Miami/Aruba AA Flt 1047, and Aruba/Bonaire, on American Eagle Flt 5323.
Leaves Miami 11:00 am arrives Bonaire 5:40 PM.

Returns are via the same routing. From Miami American serves a lot of destinatations/origins.

Don't think this is available until after the 1st of the year (it is not available in November and we are coming down on ALM - wish us luck)

Pricing is not all that bad either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our problem Alan is we can't get to Miami in time for the connection. Rochester NY is a hard place to travel from... However, I'm satisfied with our arrangements, even though it's a HELL of a long day, it's just one day each way.

BTW if anyone's interested in visiting Europe, Continental have a sale on. I just booked from Rochester to London 12/25 - 1/3 at $390 round trip. My travel agent mentioned it when I was talking to her about Bonaire, and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit the folks. That's way less than half of what we've been seeing the last couple of years, especially for a holiday period. I bet you other parts of Europe are looking good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan when in November will you be in Bonaire? My wife, daughter, son in law and myself will be at the Divi from November 8th to the16th. Couldn't get a return flight on the 17th. Leaving from JFK to Curacao to Bonaire with a layover in Miami..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 11:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If the vacation tax credit gets passed, Vacation Tax Credit don't forget to save your receipts. What an incentive to vacation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom
We (6 of us) will be in on Nov 1 to Nov 9. I guess we will miss by a day. I was at the Divi in June, and the renovations were coming along really great, and even the time shares that were not totally updated were still ok. This trip we are staying at Eden Beach - mainly because of the guys at Wannadive Bonair and as there are 6 of us (all who know the sites fairly well) will probably not do any boat diving this trip.
Have a great stay, and hope for some not too windy days so you can hop over to the East Side... it really is different than the West.

By saying via JFK, you are going down on AA via SJ... That morning flight to SJ is a real bummer - too bad they can't find better times for the SJ/Bonaire leg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to Bonaire JFK-MIami, Curacao, Bonaire. Unfortunately The free tickets were available, and the allowable seats were already taken on the SJ leg. Checking with AA now I see that you can fly JFK direct to Aruba, than on to Bonaire. This option was not available when I booked. Have a great time in Bonaire. I know I will. THis is my 12-13th trip to the island, and I feel as though I am returning to visit old friend....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie...great price ! amazing how the prices fluxuate..we are paying $600 but that is because staying over 30 days..guess anytime that happens the price gets jacked up...Delta to Miami then ALM to Curaco/Bonaire..a long haul of a day but hope it will be a safe one..look forward to meeting you and wanna dive ? this will be our 8th year back..we stay @ apartment in Niki Boko neighborhood..will beat shoveling snow huh ? grew up in Buffalo so I know what Rochester can be like..tons of snow !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

DiverDebbi: when will you be there? It's great to have a nice long trip, and I'm REALLY going to miss all that snow!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hargrove on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 7:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're suppose to leave for Bonaire 10/27 via American to Miami, then ALM to Bonaire. Although it is possible to change our tickets to fly all the way by American via Miami/Aruba/Bonaire it will cost us an additional 175.00/pp. What is the latest on ALM? We're trying to decide if we should bite the bullet and pay the extra to fly American all the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're doing the same thing. We are already flying American to Miami on Nov 1st., and can connect onto the Aruba/Bonaire flights. Sooo, we are seriously thinking about cancelling with ALM (not because of Miami/Curacao, but because of the Curacao/Bonaire/Curacao connection), and changing to American.
We talked with American and they say they will have 3 flights a day, and this is NOT temporary.
This will certainly be a BIG boost for travel to/from Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie..we will be there Feb 13 to March 15...will have to get together..will show you all our favorite shore dives..thats all we do..dive dive dive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

American Eagle will start 3 daily flight on
Oct 15, 2001 from Bonaire - Aruba.
You can fly Miami-Aruba-Bonaire
JFK-Aruba-Bonaire
Boston-Aruba-Bonaire

Also, see you travel agent. If you fly for example
Miami-Aruba, spend a couple of days in Aruba,
then travel Aruba-Bonaire, spend a couple of
days in Bonaire and finally fly back BON-AUA-MIA.
The AUA-BON-AUA, is almost for free.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 9:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbi, I'll look forward to that. See you in Feb!!! YES!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 7:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie & DIVER DEBBI,
Hi, I'm starting to keep a list of late Feb/early March visitors to see when there may be good times for B-talkies' get-together.

So far:
Josie/Alan 5 Feb - 5 Mar (Alan - 20 Feb)
D-Debbi 13 Feb - 15 Mar
Chet/Jean 24 Feb - 9 Mar
(we'll be at Sand$ for our 5th consecutive year)

Will keep watching to see who else may be visiting during Feb/March time-frame.
Regards,
Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chet,
My husband(Bob) & I will be there 2/2-2/16/02
we will also be on island 11/21/--11/28/01--
staying at the Hamlet Oasis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A BTalkers' get together will be GREAT.

As this is my first trip as a real diver (not just the certification trip), I am getting so excited, and, as Alan still won't dive, I'll be looking for nice people who would buddy with a still rather nervous newbie for "easy" shore dives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hargrove on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oct 27 - Nov 3
My wife and I will be in Bonaire for the 1st time and staying at the Divi. Looking forward to making new friends. Will anyone else out there be staying/diving during that week?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, you will fall in love with Bonaire and I do think you will enjoy the Divi. We have a timeshare there and are pleased as heck with the reef being right there, dive shop and operation, Chibi Chibi restaurant and lots more. We won't be there when you are..we arrive 11-18-01. Have a wonderful time and please do tell us all about it when you return...."if" you choose to do so! Here is a shot of the Divi from the water over by the Hotel side of the operation. The buildings to the right are some of the waterfront hotel rooms...the purple/blue/pink structure is the Chibi Chibi Restaurant (very good food) and then further to the left is the small (but wonderful) beach tanning pier and lounge chair area. The reef is right there at your fingertips (Calabas) (if you look VERY closely at the foreground of the picture, you will see my very happy husband, Joe, in the water...head only shot!) Caroledivi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know if KLM is continuing their direct flight from Amsterdam to Bonaire? We live in the north of England so it is actually quicker for us to go from our little local airport to Amsterdam than to travel down to London. I hate waiting in Curacao, it wastes diving time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Julia, we too live in the UK and fly to Bonaire direct from Amsterdam. Our next trip is due in early December. KLM hasn't been in touch with us, therefore we assume flights are operating normally. If there's any change, I'll let you know. S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chet & Josie
looking forward to getting together..lets pick a date and place when the time gets closer..like end of January...would'nt it be nice if the Sand Dollar dock was finished ? anybody know anything on its progress ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tom and barbara wilson on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 6:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, My wife and I will be on Bonaire till OCT 31. We are staying at the Bel Mar. Maybe we could try and find you.
This is our 16th trip so it's like a little chunk of home to us...you'll be hooked.

Soon,
Tom Wilson
Barb O'Donnell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The current KLM flight number is 789 from Amsterdam to Bonaire. On the way back it has a stopover in Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John and I will be on Bonaire March 2 to 16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hargrove on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom & Barb,

We will look forward to meeting you. If you can't find us at the Divi we'll try to find you at the Bel-Mar. Thanks for the reply. See you in Bonaire.

Steve & Susie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AmAir Boston-Aruba-Bonaire, 9 AM to 5:40, @$380 was available for Mondays when we booked for January a day or so ago. About $175 cheaper than I've done in memory. Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry-
Where/how did you find that great fare? Calling AA direct? Travelocity? Orbitz? Hotwire? Thanks!

Chet-
Put me on the list...I'll be there for the month of March.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found it at aa.com, I think it is, the regular AmAir site. My travel agent couldn't do quite as well, and once I saw this I didn't look anywhere else. Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 4:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry,

I was talking to an American Airlines rep on Thursday, and she was unable to confirm any direct BOS-Aruba flights for Oct or Nov. Maybe that's something that's starting later in the year?

The 3 daily flights to/from Aruba from/to Bonaire is a real boon, I think.

Also, word in the papers is that KLM will be flying daily late next Spring from Amsterdam to Bonaire en route to Quito, Ecuador (although arriving at 2am in the morning). This route currently goes via Curacao, BTW. Just think - you can do a combined Galapagos/Bonaire trip this way :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Hale on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Chet.

I just signed up to this board and have been reading with interest all the 'good stuff'. We (husband John and two little people) will be in Bonaire Mar 4-11, 2002. Three of us are certified (tho certifiable at times too) and can't wait to dive in warm water. Our current diving is done in the Bay of Fundy / Atlantic Ocean. I think it would be a blast to meet up with other folks to swap stories and indulge in cerveza.

Ann
"still digging out after 12 inches of snow"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings Ann,
I'll add you to the list, and hopefully get the updated list posted later today. Where are you staying? I assume, that you've read "Everything Else: Feb/Mar BT'ers 2" topic? It's where I post the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Hale on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Chet.
We are staying at the BelMar Apartments. We booked there before I stumbled across this web site with its ton of recommendations from folks who have already 'been there and done that'. This being our first time to Bonaire, we are sort of rolling the dice and going for it.
I noticed I posted my note to the wrong topic as I slowly worked my way through them. My poor little eyes are bugging out of my head trying to take it all in. :O
However this condition, known as PBD, has me a bit afraid. It sounds like I may have to send for my laptop and see how far I can take that 'flexi workplace' clause.
Ann
"from the Great White North"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Corbin on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,
We've stayed at the BelMar Apartments 3 times. I think you will be very pleased with them.
Phil Corbin

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration