BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Regs, or BC, or Computer on carry-on?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Regs, or BC, or Computer on carry-on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Geoffrey Everett on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Flying AJ Baltimore-Mobay-Bonaire 10/17. No one at AJ could tell us if regs, BC, computers were allowed on carry-on (that after talking to 6 people). Anyone with recent experience? I'm concerned because I'm an amputee and need to us a weight itegrated BC so I usually carry it on since I don't think anyone rents them, and we all know luggage goes missing sometimes. Please help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, on regs, BCDs and computers. As long as you can fit it within the size limitations for carry-ons.

The only problem I've heard of is ticketing agents thinking "dive equipment" includes the tank. Tanks with compressed air are not allowed on the plane at all. And of course, if you have a dive knife or scissors those should be in your checked bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

anybody get on with " SPARE AIR " tank ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willis flower on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 5:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone tell me if Air Jamiaca will allow dive knives, finger nail clippers etc in checked bags?

The message on the net says these items are prohibited but it isn't clear if this just means carry ons. We are flying to Bonaire on oct 17.

Thanks

WFF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 7:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not having done any diving for over 10 years Do they still have CO2 cartridges attatched to the BC's to inflate them-- and if so-- do they need to be taken off and packed in checked luggage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ana C on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This FAA webpage explains what is /isn't allowed

http://www.faa.gov/apa/faq/pr_faq.htm

I'd recommend making a printout of this FAA webpage and bringing it with you in case you get hassles at the airport on what is /isn't allowed (especially for your return out of Bonaire).

Have a safe & fun trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A filled compressed air tank including spare air would be prohibited on the plane. If the tank is empty and not under any pressure that is a different story.

The US has relaxed the bit about taking nail clippers in your carry-on but dive knives or any knife (including swiss army, jack knife types) should be in checked in checked bags only.

I don't know about CO2 cartridges. I haven't seen them used as an inflater for a BCD either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Important Consideration: Scuba Cylincers, empty naturally, have been always a grey item.. Technically they have always been allowed unpressurized in check baggage, but the authority for their transport comes close, if not directly under, the definition of air cargo. One of the new regs is that air cargo no longer travels on passanger planes. When traveling to bonaire or other dive destination travelrs should remember that there are also International regulations that also apply. Historically FAA has been much more liberal. I do not pretend to understand them all. The best bet is to keep an up to date exchange with your travel agent/air line as to what their interpretation is. I know a some of european bcs have integrated inflation bottles, but I would really think twice oif traveling with a spare air. Does your need offeset the hassale???
As fas as carrying a copy of the FAQ.. I have never had much success of trying to negotiate with airline officals. In current environement one of my isntructors, who travels world wide with his dive gear, has stated best approach to to be extremeely cautious and extremely minimialistic.. he travels with BCD, regs, computer, camera.. no pony/spare air, no knives..

(yes co2 inflators are still available and yes co2 cartridges are technially baned.. that are under pressure._)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Diver Debbie

Best bet is to take the yoke off the top of the unit, so the airline people can see inside the empty cylinder (should they give you any static about a cylinder under pressure). Then you should not have any problem with your spare air.

Same goes for the bail-out bottles that cave and wreck divers use (we ran into this in Guam as a bunch of guys were going to Truk with their wreck stuff and the check in people were questioning how empty was empty).

As far as knives, and pointed objects, there is no problem getting them in checked luggage to Bonaire...the problem has been getting them back, out. Don't know where this stands at the present time, but if you value the knives... leave them home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sharp pointy objects are now being allowed in checked baggage on AA flights out of Bonaire, and have been for about two weeks (discovered this when I talked to the baggage clearance person at the airport last Sunday for my short trip to San Juan).

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration