BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: 4 hour layover in Curacao? Suggestions?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: 4 hour layover in Curacao? Suggestions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, all... We've been watching and learning and getting ourselves generally worked up with excitement, in anticipation of our first trip to Bonaire!! (Arriving 9/22) Not only looking forward to discovering for ourselves the Bonaire addiction, but we are also both finishing our OW dives for certification! Can't wait!!

Speaking of waiting, we have a four hour layover in Curacao ( maybe more, maybe less, from what we've read here!) to catch our ALM flight into BON. Any suggestions or tips to pass the time??

Thanks,
Sandy and Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 1Nancy on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 9:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are also wondering what everyone's recommendations are as we have a 6 hour layover in Curacao on our trip home (provided ALM leaves Bonaire on time!). 1Nancy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wimberly on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can take a cab into town and go shopping and get a snack. There will probably be others in the airport in the same 'boat' and you could share one or more taxi's and do it as a group. Curacao has many more shops that Bonaire for those that like to shop (window or other). I don't know how accessible the beaches are though, if you want to try the water. I had a long layover there two years ago and had more than my fill of window shopping. They have a Baskin-Robbins there if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

1Nancy, what Linnea suggests works very well. During my last long lay-over I rounded up a group and we rented a mini-van cab (with driver) for a tour of Curacao. Unfortunately it was Sunday and most of the business were closed, but we saw the island, took the driver (a local woman) to where she said was a good place to eat and we had a ball for about $60.00 total!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan & Joan Zale on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Goto the Avila Beach Hotel. For $3.00 your can get a beach pass for the day. It's really a nice way to spend your layover on the return trip. It's a great beach, they have showers and complete facilities. We've done it and it was a nice way to wait for our return trip home. Going down I would stick close to the airport. You might even be able to fly stand by on an earlier flight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One word of caution on catching an earlier flight, ALM's computer will show you as a "no show" on your scheduled flight and automatically cancels your flight off island.

I end up having to go to the ALM/KLM offices downtown to reconfirm my reservation on the flight I was originally booked on. Several times I was told the plane was booked but perservence paid off. The re-confirmation kiosk at the airport cannot perform this service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan & Joan, glad to hear that Avila has a nice beach and facilities.. we will be staying there on our last night in paradise in order to catch the earlier connection back to the States... S:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the input... Baskin-Robbins sounds like a winner!! We're a little leery of wandering too far from the airport, definitely don't want to miss the plane to BON !

Can we do a quick two or three hour tour?? What's the must-see in Curacao? Or is window-shopping the better idea?

Thanks all,
Sandy and Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vicki Murt on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a nice sea aquarium just south of town. It is also next door to a hotel/dive resort that has a nice beach and restaurant/bar! A couple of hours would work at either one. I don't know what time your flights arrive/depart. The aquarium - can go snorkeling/diving and get underwater pics of sharks/turtles and very large fish is a nice diversion. If I remember right the cost is about $35 to dive and extra if you want them to take pics of you. The taxi fare to this part of town will be about $20 - $25 each way, and takes about 20 minutes from the airport. Hope this helps. Vicki

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 1Nancy on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Just got home and found it. We planned a deliberate 6 hr layover in Curacao so we could see something of it also. Probably will go into town to see the architecture. 1Nancy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A "Three Hour Tour"??!! Does this sound familiar to anyone else out there??!! LOL. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Springer on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 7:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've had a couple of multi hour layovers at the CUR airport. We found that the cost of the cabs into town or trying to rent a car for a couple of hours was just not worth the expense . American Airlines has a office that is air conditioned that they may allow you to store your bags in. We've stayed there for a couple of hours jamming down on our CD's until American opened up their counter to check our bags. Remember that ALM / AA don't do bag transfers in CUR at least on the way back to the states. We spent the rest of our time upstairs. There are two or three stalltype restaurants with a common seating area. One time we got to watch an ~air show with the F-16's (U.S.) doing touch and go landings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steven, downtown Willemstad (spelling needs work), is well worth the visit. The Dutch influence in the archtiture is really worth seeing, and a cold Amstel in a downtown bar makes the confines of the airport lounges seem painful, especially after or before a long plane ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Re-checked our itinerary last night, and the layover is actually over 5 hours if incoming AA from Miami is on time. No way are we sitting in the airport that long.

I think visiting Willemstad and having an Amstel (or 2, or 3) is a much better idea. I've wanted to visit Curacao (and Bonaire, of course) ever since spending a week in Aruba in 1984. And while I've been to Holland, I'm looking forward to seeing the Dutch influence on Curacao.

A question, though...why is Amstel so popular? It's okay, but we prefer its big brother, Heineken. Is it safe to assume that its also readily available?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Five hours... Gad !!!

Amstel is locally brewed so no preservatives. A cold Heinie is almost always available, it is just not "island", save a couple for me..:-) As mentioned earlier you may be able to find another couple interested in seeing the sights and sharing the costs. It does make the time pass nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can get regular Amstel in Bonaire, not the Amstel Light that we get in the states. Nice and cold the Amstel is just as good as the Heineken, and a bit cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, if you have not seen Aruba since 1984 and you do ever return, you will NOT recognize her at all. I know my husband and I preferred the "old" Aruba to the "new" Aruba. It has been so developed since you were last there and I think it is a shame. That is when we started to visit Bonaire and fell in love with her instantaniously and will continue to visit her as long as we live. (hope to live there someday).

Have a wonderful time on your trip! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Sunday, September 9, 2001 - 12:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I kind of figured that about Aruba, from all that I've heard. I made the mistake of going back to Cancun after 10 years; I won't do the same with Aruba. I'm sure Bonaire will be much more to our liking.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Sunday, September 9, 2001 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Having just returned, ha Kelly, with ALM's eratic schedule one might want to err on the side of caution and bring a book and sit at the snack bar and wait, flight left early, okay later than scheduled originally,but as soon as the plane arrives they are turning them around, so delayed flights leave when the plane returns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Sunday, September 9, 2001 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the update on ALM schedule. Waiting is BORING, but missing your flight to BON is even worse and could cause a serious delay in obtaining a "new" scheduled flight.

Welcome home Scott, I expect email about your diving, Jay never dives and tells..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 9:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One thought on layovers. It is extremely seldom that an ALM flight running on original published schedule will leave early. They do however re-arrange schedules as equipment availabiliy dictates.. I would be EXTREMELY cautious in wandering too far if you are dealing with an unscheduled layover.. the simple fact is that as Scott points out, they are trying to push the plane out as fast as possible. On the return I just made ALM had a schedule change. The called and advised us early. the equipment was further delayed by flight congestion so our rescheduled CUR departure of 245 was delayed to 345.. BUT they managed to board at 255 and had us out by 310... and they handled, without our knowledge, a problem caused by AA cancelling our US connection.. something that AA didn't do for their own people....AA was having a VERY bad day in MIA on Sunday..

Kelly I do't "dive and talk".. because frankly I am a very boring diver...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay, one thing you ain't and that is boring !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 8:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"A Three Hour Tour"??!! No one caught that one? Or was is just that bad?? LOL. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 8:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I caught it...I just couldn't top it, that's all. Carole, FYI, my son Travis watched the Gilligan's Island marathon recently and is hooked! Poor kid, he enjoys I Love Lucy, Red Skelton, and the Three Stooges as well. Yup, I'm re-living my childhood through Travis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my, Three Stooges! I saw today (and I am NOT making this up) a van with the lettering on the side: "Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe". Then just below, something like associated with, or a division of, or something along those lines, "Burnham and Ruhn". It was a nice van, in good shape, late model, too.

Sometimes you just really wish you carried your camera with you all the time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, yes....the infamous Law Firm of "Dewey, Cheatham & Howe"....haven't heard that one in years. There is another infamous firm, but I can't post the names here as this is a "G" rated board! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, yes....the infamous Law Firm of "Dewey, Cheatham & Howe"....haven't heard that one in years. There is another infamous firm, but I can't post the names here as this is a "G" rated board! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

geeez. Two days ago, ALM notified us that they put us on an earlier flight from Curacao to Bonaire, reducing our layover to less than 3 hours.

Today, they informed us that our flight has been canceled, and we are taking the last flight to BON. This extends our layover to 8 -1/2 hours! We'll leave home at about 4:30 am, and arrive at Don's Habitat somewhere around midnight (with no time change!)

Hmmm...so I guess we'll have time to take advantage of ALL of the above suggestions (except the one that recommends we stay at the airport). Let's see...an Amstel, the aquarium, an Amstel, sightseeing, an Amstel, shopping, an Amstel, dinner...well, you get the picture. Trust me, I've been stranded in worse places than Curacao! It sure would be nice if the new ferry were already in service, though.

Steve
(1 day and a wakeup!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve,

Instead of wasting your time in the "delightful" Curacao Hato Airport, give a call to Divi Divi Air - 011-5999-888-1050 - and see if they can get you to Bonaire earlier. They fly a charter 7 seater Cessna - takes about 25 minutes, and cost is approx. $40/person one way. You will have to reconfirm your flights back from Bonaire if you don't take the ALM flight from Curacao to Bonaire, but considering you'd be wasting 17 man hours in Curacao (and that assumes the connection to Bonaire is on time)...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 7:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

'5999' or '599'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Sandy Oliver on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 7:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

Thanks for the info on Divi-Divi Air. I'll keep it in mind for the future, but for the time being, we found another solution. AA changed our routing to take us through San Juan, where we pick up Am Eagle direct to Bonaire. We leave home 2 hours later, and get in 4 hours earlier. What a relief! I had visions of waiting 8 hours for an ALM flight that could very well be canceled.

Interesting note: We elected to keep the ALM flight to Curacao on our return flight, because the Am Eagle flight departs about 6 am. The AA rep told Sandy up front that there is a good chance that we'll miss the connection in Curacao, because ALM is so often late, in which case AA will put us up at the Sheraton, and we'll fly home on Sunday (she even confirmed that there is plenty of space available on Sunday). One poster here mentioned that happening to him very recently, but I was surprised that AA actually plans on this happening.

Steve
(mere hours!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo, Steve!

Glen - yes - 599-9 (it's a Curacao number).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS. Learn something new every day. I hope for a while yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve,

That is an interesting way to avoid that 0600 departure. And possibly have a free day in Curacao: a bonus from a late ALM flight! Same $ for new route as old? It is a round trip isn't it, just with different intermediates. Hadn't thought of it that way or asked about it. You may have found the 'perfect' routing and started a stampede.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration