BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: ATA yesterday
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: ATA yesterday
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1989) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ATA flew in Sunday. Anyone know from where and is this new service or a one time charter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2565) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 8:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ann,

I met someone who got stranded last night on ATA and they were not happy troupers. It appeared that the plane had some technical difficulty ( a warning light that was not working) and a group of about 25 people had to stay overnight till today and only got a $7 food voucher for their inconvenience. I will say that this was from one of the passengers, but they all were having dinner and breakfast at the Great Escape till their plane was ready. They also noted that their hub was in Indianapolis and was a non-stop flight, the plane could hold 500, only had 25 folks aboard this trip, but they also said it is folding, as it was already restructured once and now the owner is just folding, so my guess is that is not good news, but you never know. This was all heresay, but thought the plane looked in very good condition when it was at the airport. I was curious too as I knew it flew from the states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tel Aviv (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ATA is a charter flight from Indianapolis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #416) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

indianapolis huh? do you know how often it flies and how much it costs to go from indy to bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2242) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Airlines ) has much info on ATA. A Google search on 'ata, charter, airline' produced a number of other ATA-related links.

The passenger's 'folding' comment may relate to no more Bonaire flights rather than the entire airline.

(Message edited by glenr on November 29, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tel Aviv (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 7:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think it's part of a dive group package by some dive shop in Indianapolis. They all stayed at the Divi last July. That's all I really know about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michelle kincer sawin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 12:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a travel club in Indy called Ambassadair that offers trips all over the world{not only diving} They usually use ATA for the charter flights. ATA is under seriuos financial strain and has announced possible closure. Even in ATA prime of life they didn't fly to Bonaire except for the Ambassadaire flights once or twice a year. Still looking for the best way to Bonaire!!
Michelle in Indy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #424) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 10:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi michelle, welcome to bonaire talk. i've tried a lot of different ways to get to bonaire...expedia, orbitz, etc. as well as travel agents and aa.com. we generally fly american now...friends from here (cleveland OH) have flown AJ but had to spend a night in atlanta on the way home. keep trying..you'll finally find an airline and route that you will get used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michelle kincer sawin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, December 2, 2005 - 12:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Pat!
I have been reading this board for a couple years and it has always been a major tool in planning our trips. We just returned from our third in 1 1/2 years and used different airlines each time. AA AJ and united[bonaire express on 2 trips}. Each with good and bad. Now we just wait for the right price and go for it! No matter what it is always worth the journey!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration