BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Contact information for Inter-Island flights to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Contact information for Inter-Island flights to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Reilly (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all:

We are trying to plan another return visit. Last year, after we changed our tickets from AJ to Us Airways (to Aruba), I went to Bonaire Express's web site and booked our Aruba to Bonaire tickets - no problem. This year I cannot even FIND a functioning Bonaire Express website (which makes me nervous about even using them as I'm still owed money by DCA who stick us on tickets several years ago).

Let me propose a suggestion for the web site. Most travel-related web sites have FAQ information posted and available at the beginning of links like 'Getting to Bonaire' (see fliertalk.com for a very good example). Can someone provide the link to a FUNCTIONING Bonaire Express (Excel, whatever) site - or tell me that none exist. Same for Divi Divi and other services if they exist - including charters from Aruba.

And, since I'm asking, could all the discussion about charter flights from North America be organized to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak? The airlift site states the first flight began two weeks ago, which clearly was not the case.

Although the Continental Flights are an improvement, what do you do when one arrives in Bonaire at dawn and cannot check into their resort until mid-afternoon? Sure, AJ has reinstated service, but ultimately cut the number of flights to the island and remains financially wobbly - at best. And now, again, possible trouble with the major inter-island server? Bonaire is a wonderful place to be, but lately not so much fun getting to. If the island's tourist industry is to be preserved or expanded, more attention needs to be paid to facilitating air service to the island.

Thanks,

Jim

Note: the following is a bit of a rant.

Also, please no sour grapes replies about how 'lovely Bonaire is and to keep it that way we want to make it difficult to get to' and only the pure will survive the trip tribulations and other such silly nonsense (like I got last year when I was the first to warned that AJ was having trouble). Fact is access to the island likely is not the issue, especially given the island's birth rate and the fragile nature of its resources. If Bonaire wants to preserve the Quality of Life on the island, its citizens need to develop and then implement a professional comprehensive land use plan. The Netherlands is famous for producing quality land use plans, so the example is available. (And yes, I am a city and regional planner, so I know something about this topic.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1807) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The following was just in EZ news:

Airline News

BonairExpress Renamed Dutch Antilles Express; Opens Reservations Call Center in Bonaire

Dutch Antilles Express (DAE), formerly BonairExpress, has opened a reservations call center in Bonaire, enabling customers to easily make flight reservations over the phone. The call center, which can be reached at 011-599-717-0808, is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Payment can be made with debit or credit card, with an e-ticket sent by email or fax. Reservations on DAE can also be made by emailing reservations@flydae.com or faxing 011-599-717-0880. DAE will be launching a new website with an online booking capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wulfken (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Jimreilly,

You sound just like a person Bonaire needs. I’m no urban planner, nor a suburban or rural planner, but I do know planning since I have been involved in strategic planning on the corporate level. I agree that the Netherlands produces quality land use plans but I wonder if that ability translates well to an arid island environment (i.e. a very closed system). In the ten years I’ve been going to Bonaire I’ve always maintained that Bonaire can’t handle “growth” because they don’t have the infrastructure. This is just one factor. But the current system is continually stressed. They do an adequate job with what they have – BUT -- has anyone, recently, been subjected to brownouts or blackouts? When I first went to Bonaire I never experienced it. Now I do, which explains why Buddy Dive has their own generators to kick in when outside power sags. I’ve read the “desires” (stated as a plan in some places) to attract a “big box” (one rumor was a Marriott Vacation Club) resort to Bonaire in order to draw a major, regular air service but they would still have to supplement water, electricity, septic/sewage, etc. My last question – does Bonaire need to be Arubasized?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #504) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 6:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, if you search the other threads in the Getting to Bonaire section, you will find a posting on how to contact Divi Divi.
John, if you don't have an online subscription to the Bonaire Reporter, you might want to get one. It's a great paper, and they did a series of articles a few months ago on the issues which you raise. Those other residents whom I know strongly oppose Arubasizing (great word!) Bonaire.
As to the electricity, you will also find articles in the BR about the fire at the electrical power station last winter, which created some of the problems we experience now and then (not very often) since then. Brigitte might have some additional comments about this. :-)
You raise excellent points and I'm sure you'd enjoy reading the response of Bonaire residents in the BR! You can reach it at bonairereporter.com
Jim, the BR also provides the latest information every week about air connections to Bonaire.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration