BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Just booked
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Just booked
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I finally booked the tickets. Went with AJ and they wound up going up in price by the time I booked but still cheaper than the other routes. Wound up paying 1074.40 for both leaving ohare. Not terrible, about 587.20 per person. Earlier in the day it was 25 bucks cheaper per person. You snooze you loose I guess.

I'm gonna book through Golden Reef Inn too so now all that's left is the car deal and we should be all set. I'm so excited to finally getting be make it to the destination of my dreams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15365) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn, congratulations! woooohooo!! That is a GREAT fare!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By v.cioffletti (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's from O'Hare for TWO people? Sounds CHEAP to me! I'm jealous! We hadn't known they dropped from a daily flight to a weekly, so we couldn't even get ON Air Jamaica! Have fun and enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 3:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

congrats, you will so enjoy it! It's the most relaxing place I've been yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks my fellow wisconsinites ;). Yea I'm not really a big fan of driving to Ohare, I've flown out of there once and it's just a pain, but they have the best option for my trip. The one thing I didn't get was that AJ said that we should be there 2 and a half hours before our flight leaves which would be like 4am or earlier. I don't even think they open up their portals till like 5 I thought. They said something about closing the terminal 45 minutes before the flight leaves. Anybody know what that's all about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #502) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 4:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since 9/11 the airlines have required check-in long before the flight.
You also don't want to take any chances of missing your flight and losing your vacation. And in winter you could get slowed down by weather.
So allow loads of time. With luck, you'll be one of the first people in line and can enjoy breakfast after check-in.
It's not the terminal which shuts down. It's the check-in counter.
Allow plenty of time to go through security too. The lines can be very long because the security check is very thorough, also since 9/11.
And the plane will be loaded and the airplane doors shut long before take-off time.
Enjoy Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15381) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn, the early check in is especially important when you are flying internationally, because of customs (at LAX they often search your bags, it is very random however).

Tish, I think that Shawn and his gf are going in May, no worries about cold weather through O'Hare:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

lol i think it was a couple years ago but we got snow in april. You just never know what the weather will be like up here.

I usually have them do a hand search anyways because I don't care to stick my digital equipment through the machines. I remember when I went to the bahamas they threw a fit about my request. I won't put film or anything else I fear of getting damaged through those. They had to search through 40 video tapes individually lol. I'm not bringing the camcorder on this trip though as 1 there's something wrong with it and i don't get any picture and 2 the underwater casing I bought for it worked for crap. I tried buying a soft case, which basically was an overpriced sandwich bag. No matter how much i tried to get the air out of it it wasn't enough and it kept turning the power off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #222) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

look into staying at a hotel near the airport the night before your flight that will give you free parking the week you're gone. that way you won't be stressed driving down 94 in the wee hours of the morning and waiting in the cold until the terminal opens. (make sure the hotel has a shuttle that operates early enough to get you over to the terminal. Another benefit is that they will know exactly when the terminals open.)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration