BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Minimum time for AE connection in San Juan?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Minimum time for AE connection in San Juan?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Elia (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wondering what the minimum time you'd recommend would be for the connection in San Juan. From some of the horror stories I see here, sounds like 1 hr. would be very risky. I see the same fares with a 3-hr layover, which might be a safe choice.

Thanks for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #373) on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 7:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i guess it depends where you are flying from and the likelihood that your original flight won't be delayed by weather. our layover in sju is usually in the 2-3 hour range going to bonaire and slightly shorter coming home. we use the time to hit the duty free stores and relax...and a year ago we happened to run into one of our neighbors who was flying to st. kitts so we got to visit a little and it made the time go faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #547) on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are you talking about on the way to Bonaire or on the way home? Are you changing airlines or flying the same airline all the way? If you are on your way home from Bonaire then one hour is risky because you will need to clear customs and immigration. If you are flying on two different airlines (ie:USAir to SJU and then getting AE to Bonaire) you may need to claim your bags and check in for the second flight, again making an hour a tight connection. Also, if you are on your way to Bonaire and miss the AE flight you risk being stuck in SJU for awhile as there are not flights every day to Bonaire. Guess I would want a little bit longer especially on the way to Bonaire to insure I got on the AE flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #375) on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 10:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i agree susan. i guess it can be done with a one hour layover time going down but i'd rather be a little safe on the time and hope for at least a 2 hour layover going both ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #495) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 7:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

5{ouse sitters and guests who have taken AA and AE have missed their connections in San Juan and arrived one or more days late.
I always urge everybody to allow more time in San Juan than they believe they will need.
I am told the arrival or departure of a cruise ship makes the lines especially long.
So, Eric, I would go for the 3-hour connection time and even then move speedily.
Because of the need for AE to weigh baggage and calculate total weight (passengers included), AE has been known to bump passengers in San Juan, so the earlier you check in at the gate, the better.
Good luck! You'll adore Bonaire!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #377) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

you're right tish...and american eagle has been known to bump people from the return flight at flamingo airport so you need to arrive there early on your departure day. my wife drove our neighbor to the airport last winter and she was the last one to get on the flight home. and even then she had to wait till about 45 minutes before departure to know she was going to fly so mary had to wait there with her to see if she was going to be driving her back to her house. i think the reason she wasn't bumped was that she was the first one in line after the "accepted" passengers were ticketed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15316) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've never seen lines particularly long because of cruise ships? Is PR a port of destination for them? I've seen them in port, but it is just a day stop for them (and OLD SJ is CROWDED)...scratching my head here...of all the times I've flown through SJ (7 now, not all Bonaire destinations) I've never noticed this. Customs going back in to the airport if you have left for the day can sometimes be long (and regardless of length are most often slow, they believe they are on island time...LOL)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3449) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is meant by "checking in" at AE in San Juan? I have never had to check in. I just go to the gate and line up when they tell me to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15318) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, I'm with you. I always get my boarding pass when I leave my initial destination, and then get in line when they announce the boarding of the flight. I know that some folks have reported that they weren't issued a boarding pass at their departure city (I think cause AA/AE over booked), and had to get it in SJ (and some were consequently denied boarding), but I think that is a less common occurance...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15319) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, ya learn something new every day! I just googled SJ cruises, and indeed, there are a sparce few that leave SJ as their port of call! I'm not sure how that would affect a plane change in PR though...those folks would either be arriving in SJ, and leaving the airport for the boat, or coming back into the airport after getting off the boat...

(Message edited by cyndelee on November 22, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #380) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i know there are a few cruise ships that sail out of san juan. when we were on bonaire last month we talked to someone who was flying out the next day to board a ship at san juan and was going on a one week cruise. but it's still not the huge port for cruise ships that miami is. i'll take going thru customs in san juan over miami any day of the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3456) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amen, Pat !! I still don't get how the cruise ships would affect the lines at the airport, though???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 6:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

People coming off cruise ships and flying back home clog the lines going through security, which can cause people to miss their connections in San Juan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #389) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 7:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i guess they still have to get thru customs in san juan....and then catch their planes home. the only time we ever had a close call there was two years ago when we flew home the day after the big blackout in the states. we were rerouted (but not reticketed) to go from san juan to chicago instead of to jfk. we were late leaving bonaire and by the time we got thru customs in san juan we only had about 25 minutes to get reticketed and get to the plane. fortunately, someone from AA was able to help us by opening another computer station and giving us new tickets in a few minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15331) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I've always been lucky and not have been going back through security after the cruise ships have docked and send folks home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #549) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, the cruise ship folks are the ones who are waiting in those long lines at the AA counter near the baggage check that you and I love. Since SJ is their departure city they all need to wait there while those of us who have our AA boarding passes all the way through are just heading to Isla Verde for hamburgers and some sun and maybe a massage!! As an aside we should all remember that when we post American Eagle as AE and not AA (for American Airlines) we run the risk of confusing folks with Aruba Exel. I know I was guilty of this in an earlier post and it was brought to my attention!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2230) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 1:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I gather Saturday/Sunday is the big cruise ship change time in MIA. Is the same true in PR, that there is ne day a week for changes?

So, we can use AmE and ArE for exactness??? And American Airlines can be A¥A. :–)

Love spell checkers: above it flagged 'AmE' but not 'ArE'. Guess it isn't a grammar checker. :–)

(Message edited by glenr on November 23, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15337) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 2:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

On Saturdays, after a day in PR, coming back to the airport around 3-5, no unsual lines...however, I've seen them longer at other times, but nothing that has ever been unusual...i.e., if you leave the airport and come back, allow a couple hours to get back in and get to your gate (and this is on the conservative side) ;-)

the worst part about going back through customs is that it's hot ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #550) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 7:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, guess it does not check for correct placement of capital letters either!! Looks like those of us that are teachers still can't be replaced by computers!!

Cynde, you are a good girl to give yourself a few hours when returning after a day in San Juan. Mark usually wants to give it 2 hours and I always want to wait til the last possible minute knowing I would rather be at the beach than in the airport! As if getting back to the airport would get us to Bonaire any faster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #498) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 8:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Forget the spell checker. Gremlins are at work on this thread.
My first post above began with correctly spelled words and I posted it like that, but afterwards the opening of my message disappeared and a couple of symbols replaced it. Strange. But we wouldn't want to all be bored by everything working perfectly, would we?
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2231) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tish,

I am not sure how more time SJ would benefit soused sitters and guests??? Might just lead to more trouble. :–)

(Message edited by glenr on November 23, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #499) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Glen, not at all what I posted. :-)
About a dozen of my house sitters and guests have missed their connections in San Juan. That's what I posted. And gremlins changed it.
The point is that one hour is not sufficient time to allow to make a connection in San Juan. That was Eric's question which began this thread.
But your version is a lot more fun. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,

Where do you go for a massage in San Juan? Do you have a phone number, email address, or website address?

On our return flight last March, we had a long layover in San Juan and we took the advice of BT'rs and took a cab to the Water Club hotel in Isla Verde for breakfast and relaxation on the beach. It was WONDERFUL! I would love to check into getting a massage if we take the same route to/from Bonaire next time.

Amy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3494) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amy, I've been to the Water Club!!! What a fantastic place! We were up on the roof listening to music and watching the water. One of the most spectacularly themed places ever. Did you ride in the elevator? (remember that, Cynde?? The Blue Wall of Water??)

Cynde and Barbara have gotten massages, I believe at the Intercontinental but they will jump in and either confirm or correct...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, Kelly, we didn't ride the elevator, but we heard about it after we'd visited there. The restaurant has a wall of water, and the restrooms were beautiful!

We were a little nervous about using their amenities without staying there, but they were very friendly to non-guests.

Amy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3499) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I want to own one of those apartments! What a beautiful, beautiful place. Up on the roof, it was all dark except for a bazillion large hurricane lamp candles, placed all over the place, even on the floor, and very large white sofas and chairs. Very elegant. And the people were beautiful as well... it was a very fun night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15440) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, of course I remember. I went to the water club at least 6 times when I was in PR:-) It was the standby for a drink on some evenings! The restaurant downstairs "The Tangerine" is really interesting. The decor is cool, kind of orange retro and they also have a huge waterfall behind the bar, the entire wall! It's a little pricy, but good food!

http://www.waterclub.com/home.php

It is also a hotel. I've heard though, that the rooms aren't as spectacular as you would think:-(

Amy, go to the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde to the outside grill by the pool and get a burger, the best in the world...really...then head over to the Inter Continental Hotel and get a massage. Here is the link to the spa there:

http://www.le-spa.com/locations.htm

I've had 3 different treatments there and they are all really really really good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks! I'll check out both the burger and the spa if I travel through San Juan again :-)

Amy

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration