BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Help needed - Best connections to fly from New York
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Help needed - Best connections to fly from New York
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalya Calhoun (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
me and my hubby want to go to Bonaire for our winter vacation. The only fares that search engines offered me so far were going though San Juan (PR). Unfortunately the times that they offer are very-very bad and basically we will be needing the whole day to travel. Are there any suggestions?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3432) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Natalya and welcome to Bonaire Talk! You have chosen a great destination for your vacation and a little extra effort to get there will be well worth it !

That being said, you might try to find a charter from NYC to Aruba, then hop over to Bonaire on Bonaire Express. You can also fly into Curacao and then take Divi Divi air to Bonaire.

No matter what you decide, you won't regret your decision!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #355) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

welcome to BT natalya. the only route we have taken from nyc is the one thru sju. you're right, it will take most of the day. i think our flight left jfk about 1230 (at least it was supposed to) and we got to bonaire at 840PM.

you might want to follow kelly's advice (she's so very smart..those central ohio people are travel gurus) and go to curacao. then divi divi or bonaire express to bonaire. that could get you to bonaire no later than 6PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6823) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Natalya, We take Air Jamacia out of NYC to Montego Bay and get to Bonaire around 3pm the return flight gives you back your lost day as it leaves at 3pm..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalya Calhoun (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have another question then.
HOw much is reasonable to pay for airfare in February?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2821) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Natalya, I found $528.00 Newark to Aruba, figured another $200.00 Aruba to Bonaire, thought it was reasonable.

Saturday to Saturday flights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2822) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry for being rude. WELCOME TO BONAIRE TALK!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #489) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I love Delta, and JFK is convenient for me, so I often fly the Aruba route to and from there. The bad part is waiting around for the Bonaire Express flight afterwards, but at least the weather in Aruba is pleasant. Delta has a non-stop flight JFK--Aruba on Saturdays, but you can also connect in Atlanta on other days.
I'm going to try the American route to and from Curacao soon, via Miami, which I believe Jake likes. That way I get to take Divi Divi on the short leg.
However you get here, you're going to adore Bonaire!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2464) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ has had a bit of a rough ride lately, as you can see from looking through the Getting to Bonaire threads. If they are working well it is a nice way to get to the island early in the afternoon, and leave late in the afternoon, which is sort of two more days in my mind as opposed to AA and A Eagle thru San Juan. I've been travelling AA lately from JFK, and you do lose two days in travel any way you swing it, but it seems to work. The flight to San Juan is often overbooked at JFK, so you must arrive in good time.
I don't think Jake is so fond of travelling via Curacao, I know he usually goes through San Juan. I'd rather nail my head to the floor than go through Curacao,but I understand the airport there is better now. I've never found that route cheaper than JFK SJU BON once you factor in the second airfare.
You have to take a big chill pill when you leave the city and realize that getting there may be somewhat adventerous. Courtesy, calmness and joy should be your watchwords.

(Message edited by seb on November 15, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5676) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will confirm what Seb says. I hate the Curacao airport luggage shuffle, the lack of WiFi, the fact that the bathrooms are downstairs (a pain when traveling solo with heavy carry ons), and never mind sitting there in the airport in those annoying plastic seats.

The only thing nice about the airport is flying with Divi Divi - they are a delight.

Give me the BON/SJU route anytime over flying via Curacao. And forget Aruba (for many of the same reasons). But that's just me... :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 6:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Natalya.. I just booked Continental for Feb less than $400 RT to Aruba departing from NY/NJ (Newark).
You'd then need to connect via Bonaire excel to Bonaire. Go to Continental's website..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 7:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Natalya.. Here's from Continental's website:
Hope this helps..

Home > Select Departing Flight
Search FlightsChoose FlightsTicket DetailsTraveler InformationComplete PurchaseConfirmation
Select Departing Flight
Reservations for U.S. Billing Addresses Only.
Reservations for U.S. Billing Addresses Only.
Reservations for Other Billing Address Countries
Fares listed are for the entire trip per person and do not include all taxes and fees.
Your Search by Price:
Round Trip
Depart: New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Date: Thu., Feb. 2, 2006 Time: Anytime Cabin: Economy
Arrive: Aruba (AUA)
> Modify search

Our Lowest Fares

Nonstop
from
$394.00

Select Your Departing Flight for Thu., Feb. 2, 2006:
Price Departing Arriving Travel Time OnePass Miles
Nonstop flights from $394.00
Lowest Fare

From

$394.00
Round Trip/ Person
$788.00
All Travelers
Select

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #491) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, Seb. Wise words. Courtesy, calmness and joy should be our watchwords every day, but especially when we travel. :-)
One reason I like to fly nonstop from JFK (or whatever NY airport you prefer) to Aruba is to hop over bad weather during hurricane season. Montego Bay and San Juan pose the risk of a flight not flying.
And during cold weather, I get out of the cold and to a warm place faster. I don't really mind hanging out in Aruba.
Will let you know how the Curacao route works out next month.
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #193) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NC,

The Richter Route is a good option. My wife took the early American flight out of Newark to Miami to Cur. DiviDivi to Bonaire. Worked great, even if a little early. One key is to get to Cur early enough to catch a DiviDivi flight whose schedule is posted in the strand of Bonaire Talk.
The 6 a.m. flight connects fine in Mia. Returning DD to Cur early enough to get a morning AA flight to Miami, which flies usually on time in a.m. Mid-week winter is around $550, weekend $600RT. DD is about $95RT. Reasonable for inseason and a trip to paradise.

I did the Miami AA to Cur and DD to Bonaire RT in Sept too and it was smooth sailing (flying). I won't go through Aruba either. DD is a fun ride watching for whalesharks and the blue water.

Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #492) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Higher up this strand, Bud, Jake says what you describe is not the Richter route. He prefers to go via San Juan.
Let's call yours the Gillan route. I'm trying it soon because of what I now recall was your recommendation. Thanks!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #194) on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 7:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tish,

I think anything with DiviDivi in it is a Richter Route. Travel is much tougher to Bonaire now than 1966 when I first started going to Bonaire. It has come to the point that if I get up in the morning in the U.S. and go to bed on Bonaire that I've been on a Gillan route. You know, same day service........

btw, the Man-O-War are here earlier this year. So started up our jelly sting study again. We are using 2 proteolytic enzymes this year to strengthen the amps. Should be interesting. Any BTers in FL and want to participate in the winter jelly jam study drop me a line or lend me your ears, et al.

Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #367) on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 9:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

bud, you're saying it's harder to get to bonaire now than it was 40 years ago? wow. i can't imagine what it was like back then. we used to fly the aa/alm routes and had few, if any, problems. and we used to get to bonaire about 430PM then too.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration