BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Any affordable airfare out there???
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Any affordable airfare out there???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel laura (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

YIKES!!! just when i thought Bonaire sounded too good to be true, I tried to research airfare! OW!!! first thing I'm finding (on travelocity...why I still use them, I don't know!) is when I type in my search, a price will pop up, but when I try to make specific reservations it says something like "airline doesn't fly from AVL to BON"...well then why did the rate pop up????
I talked to my travel agent, but she's not terribly creative. I know sometimes flying to Aruba is more affordable, or even flying to Houston, then BON. We're in Asheville, NC, by the way. ANY SUGGESTIONS???
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Voss (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As you will read in many posts on this board, there aren't many direct flights from the States to Bonaire. Continental will begin flying from Houston once a week in December, but a roundtrip from Asheville through Houston to Bonaire won't be cheap, unless you can use miles. I couldn't find any Continental flights with seats available where I could use WorldPerks (NWA) miles between January and April 2006 -- without multiple rule busting.

Another option is to find a charter to Aruba, and then fly BonairExpress to Bonaire. We did that last year from Minneapolis at a total cost of approx. $550 per roundtrip ticket. That was cheaper than flying AA to San Juan, and AE to Bonaire, our other option. Flying BonairExpress presents its own challenges and obstacles -- again, thoroughly discussed on this board. I'm hoping to find another bargain charter flight to Aruba this year, probably late in the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4305) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrew hit it. Take a drive down to Charlotte and catch a direct flight to Aruba then Bonaire Excel to Bonaire. Cheapest and easiest way right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #345) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

our tickets to bonaire from cleveland have always been in the $625-$750 pp range. once we had to pay about $875 but we weren't able to travel on cheaper days. for our trip in sept/oct and our next one in feb. we are paying around $700. that seems to be the going rate now. we try to fly during the week and avoid weekends and that saves some money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel laura (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i'm finding Charlotte to San Juan to Bonaire for $668....should I snag it??? Sounds pricey to me, but from what I'm reading that may be the best I find. Maybe we'll have to skip the "resort" places and stay somewhere "budget". I LOVE THIS WEBSITE....my compulsive hyper-planning needs can all be met here, so that when I get to Bonaire... I CAN CHILL!!!!!!!
Thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #346) on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

rachel...go for it. do not stop...run, don't walk, to the website and grab the fare. i know it's not cheap but i don't know that you'll get much better.

when do you plan on going to bonaire? there are quite a few really nice "budget" places there but they do tend to book up kinda far in advance. i'm sure you'll find lots of help and advice on this board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1972) on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rachel,

Once you get to Bonaire you can surely stay in places that start at 55.00 a night and up. Go to the dining page and search cheap eats. There are many local eateries that offer local cuisine. Super eats and cheap. Also there are some great places to get BBQ and low cost fare. Car rentals are very affordable in BON as well. You are going to love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel laura (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i love it already!!!! the scuba dreams are back! woohooo!!!! thanks for everyone's advice and support!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #351) on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

rachel, how many planes will you be taking to get to bonaire? i'll recommend that route to my son who lives in charlotte.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #378) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat & Rachel,

Just some info on how I get to/from Bonaire. I go to Bonaire at least 3 times a year from NC.

US Air:
US Air, offers deals to AUA. In the past I have flown from Jacksonville,(tiny town) North Carolina for $359 or $400 from RDU (Raleigh) then grab Bonaire Excel ($180)on over to BON. Upon occasion US Air will offer a last minute cheaper deals from CLT (Charlotte), their hub.

American Airlines:
My last trip (Oct 5-12) was $389 round trip, RDU-MIA-SJU-BON on American Airlines. This was an all day affair to get there....6am-8pm. My next trip (American Airlines Nov 28-Dec 12) cost $389 RDU-MIA-CUR, then Divi Divi CUR-BON for $180. This will be my 1st time trying this route, 6am-5pm.

AJ:
This has been my favorite way to get to BON but as others have said the service has not been reliable lately. In the past I paid $450 - $575
7am-3pm, RDU-ATL-MBJ-BON. The last time I used AJ was June '05. Great service down and the returning flight was rebooked by AJ with Bonaire Excell/Delta. I was lucky. I had no problems with the route home.

Yana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #379) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat and Rachel,
Correction to the Divi Divi Price CUR-BON. That is what I paid for 2 round trip tickets not 1. All the other prices are for 1 round trip ticket.
Yana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #353) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

yana, thanks...i'll pass the info on to my son. hope he's able to make it this winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #382) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat and Laura,
Here is part of an email:
US Airways is pleased to present this week's E-Savers offer.

International
Depart - various days:
November 26 - December 16, 2005
Return - various days:
December 3 - December 21, 2005
Purchase Tickets by Monday, November 21, 2005

From Raleigh/Durham, NC

To (Roundtrip Fare)
Aruba $368
George Town/Exuma, Bahamas $248
Nassau, Paradise Island $248

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration