BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: American Airlines Cuts Luggage Allowance
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: American Airlines Cuts Luggage Allowance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5644) on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

American Airlines quietly announced (we only found out during our travels in the last week) that they have dropped their free baggage allowance to Bonaire from a maximum of 70 pounds per each of up to two checked bags to 50 pounds per bag.

Baggage weighing more than 50 pounds but less than 70 pounds will incur a $25 surcharge.

This brings American's international policy in line with their domestic baggage policy (except for a few limited destinations).

NOTE: The above only applies for tickets issued ON OR AFTER October 1, 2005. If you have tickets on AA which were issued prior to October 1, 2005, you still qualify under the old 70 lbs. max per bag rule (which we fortunately did on our return home to Bonaire yesterday).

Unlike Continental, incidentally, frequent flyers and first class passengers do not get an increased allowance, incidentally (which I, as a very frequent flyer, am rather annoyed by...)

Details are at:

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the helpful update. That's too bad. That extra 20 pounds makes a big difference on an international flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2312) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What a bummer! Thank goodness I booked all my flights through March, 2006 already! I should be o.k. with luggage if they honor what Jake states. Yes, I am a frequent flyer and am annoyed too, Jake, very annoyed, but what can you do? :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go to www.as.com and suggest 70 lbs for frequent flyers and first class passengers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5645) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill,

I suspect you mistyped that. Here's the link to AA Customer Relations for others who want to send their two cents in (good idea!):

https://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/ContactAAHome.jhtml?fileName=aaCustomerRelations.jhtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #238) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 6:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i agree debbie, we have our february tickets already. this time we did it with three bags between the two of us and each was <50#...we didn't know that they had raised the limit. next trip should be ok too but it's nice to know that we'll have that 20# cushion if we need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #247) on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seems to me that as disappointing as this sounds to us equipment-laden divers, it's really not as terrible as it sounds. If they were limiting the maximum ALLOWED weight to 50 lbs, that might suck, but since my bag (and I suspect many others') is usually in the 50-70 lb. range, the worst thing we are talking about is a $25 surcharge -- not the end of the world and probably understandable when you think about the huge increase in fuel costs of late. Twenty five bucks is pretty minor relative to the cost of a dive vacation. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #221) on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
I just spotted this in Bonaire EZ News.
NEWS BITS

The Eagle Lands Again
“We have opened a new door to Bonaire”, said Elsmarie Beukenboom, TCB Director as she boarded the inaugural American Eagle flight to Aruba at 8 AM on October 15th. “There will be two daily round trip flights between the two destinations which will not only connect us to our sister island but allow visitors from all over the world to fly to Bonaire connecting through Aruba. Also, the possibilities for tourists on both islands to make day trips has once again become an option to add to their- vacation plans”, she stated.
Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5646) on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mickey,

Elsmarie's not been the TCB director in a number of years. Sounds like that's from an old EZ News, and relates to when it looked like there would be an AE connection between Aruba and Bonaire (I think that was 4-5 years ago, maybe?)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #222) on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake
I feel sure you are right. I looked back through my "history" a bit but can't even find that page again. But, I do see a lot of old pages from EZ News. Sorry about that. Yeah, maybe 4-5 years ago.
Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #435) on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 7:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That announcement was made in the issue of 12 November 2001.
Too bad AE isn't flying that route.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5654) on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back an e-mail from AA regarding my complaint about the lack of notice on the luggage allowance change and the lack of special treatment for frequent flyers and those paying more for tickets:

October 20, 2005

Dear Mr. Richter:

As an AAdvantage® elite status member, you are among our most valued customers, so it
is particularly troubling to hear that you were disappointed with us. Please accept
my apology for the inconvenience to you when you discovered a change in our free
baggage allowance.

To recap the specifics of our free baggage allowance for travel wholly within the 50
United States and Canada, each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge 2 checked
bags up to 50 lbs each. For bags over the weight limit we will collect $25 for each
bag over 50 - 70 lbs and $50 for each bag over 70 - 100 lbs.

Our free baggage allowance for international travel was modified on October 1, 2005
and now allows 2 free checked pieces at 50 lbs for each. Passengers ticketed after
this date will be subject to a $25 fee for any bag weighing 51 - 70 pounds. This
policy includes travel to Europe, Asia, Mexico, Caribbean, Central/South America,
Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. However, for travel to/through/from Europe and
Asia, we do not accept overweight baggage (71 pounds or more).

To avoid confusion, allow me to explain that the baggage size limitation is calculated
by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
Bag allowance for domestic travel is: two bags, 62 in each at 50 lbs and one carry-on
bag, 45 in at 40 lbs.

For additional information about baggage allowance, please check AA.com or contact one
of our telephone representatives at 1-800-433-7300.

Mr. Richter, we have forwarded your comments to key management personnel for review.
Thanks for taking the time to share your observations. We are determined to lead the
industry in services and marketing programs that benefit frequent travelers such as
yourself. It is a privilege to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you aboard
soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5305) on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow....you can't even have a bag over 71 pounds no matter what??! That's nuts. I hope someone else responds to your letter, too, Jake. I guess all of this was inevitable with the rising prices of fuel and airlines losing money hand over fist for years. No exceptions....that's wrong. Let us know if anyone else responds to you, Jake. Thanks for sharing the letter with us. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2201) on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 4:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just to be picky (at $25 or $50 a pick), that wording is interesting: doesn't '...we will collect $25 for each bag *over* 50 - 70 lbs...' mean that the $25 kicks in at 71 lbs, and then the $50 fee at 101 lbs??? I think I know what they are trying to say but I don't believe they said it.

In the matter of the total weight allowed free, how many divers not carrying their own weights and tanks to Bonaire need more than 140 lbs baggage allowance???? I have never been over 100 lbs with u/w photo gear, surface camera and laptop, even when carrying food for the family. (Not addressing residents carrying freight on return flights! :–) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5312) on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops, I misread the 71 pound non-allowance part.."However, for travel to/through/from Europe and
Asia, we do not accept overweight baggage (71 pounds or more)." It does not apply to the Caribbean.

Glen, you might be right but it is very confusing, to say the least. Will have to start using light weight duffle bags, soon.... the bare/empty luggage weighs too much these days! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5313) on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, I believe you hit the nail on the head. ". For bags over the weight limit we will collect $25 for each
bag over 50 - 70 lbs and $50 for each bag over 70 - 100 lbs. ". What happens at 101 lbs?? LOL! Cargo/freight, I guess. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #212) on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen the only time I was over 140lbs was traveling to the Bay Island of Utila for tech training. I believe I had 140lbs in two bags not counting the carry on... Five airports and four planes - I was not a pretty sight when I checked in the hotel!

jimini®

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #224) on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 6:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
The real and very important reason for weight limits is of course to save fuel. That does not make it any easier to accept. All the airlines are struggling to keep flying and fuel costs are probably of the most immediate concern.
Mick

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration