BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Passport Neeeded Before December 31?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Passport Neeeded Before December 31?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone tell me if a passport is needed for travel to and from Bonaire from the U.S. prior to December 31? I have mine, but my wife does not for travel to Bonaire in early December. Thanks!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve thats a loaded question for sure. Depending on what source you listen to. You still have time to get one for your wife. Right now you need one before Dec. 31 if you are traveling out of the USA, but then again it could change. It has changed 3 times already, with all the hurricanes that have hit New Orleans and alot of paper work got lost. Hope that answers your question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3286) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, it is my understanding that you can use an original birth certificate with a RAISED SEAL... and a photo ID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3287) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Read this:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-08-18-caribbean-passport_x.htm

Also, I think the official travel site is www.travel.gov.

I had to find all this information prior to our Bonaire trip (we have just returned from Bonaire last night) because my husband's passport got lost in New Orleans. It ended up arriving two days prior to our departure for Bonaire. We had a terrible time getting it. He had to re-apply and send it to Miami, then they sent all that stuff BACK to him, etc. It was a nightmare.

I was told that he could use the raised seal birth certificate and photo id.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick and Kelly -- Thanks! What Kelly stated is consistent with my understanding, as that is what we have used for several years for Caribbean travel. Julie does have an official birth certificate (raised seal) and photo ID (Missouri driver's license). I know that she will NEED a passport soon, but due to circumstances she just has not done it (as we had THOUGHT that we had until the end of this calendar year under the old system). Just checking to see if we can squeak by for now!
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3288) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, I think you can squeak by. She can always apply for it, and if it comes before you leave that's great. But have the back-up.

That being said, my understanding from that article is that you won't have to have your passport to RETURN to the U.S. until the end of 2006. It was originally Dec. 31st of this year, but it reads that it was extended because it would be unfair to tourism if other countries (Canada I believe and maybe Mexico) weren't requiring re-entry to the US with a passport until the end of 2006, and the Caribbean wanted to institute the new rule effective Dec. 2005.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 3:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly -- Thanks for the link to the USA Today article. I presume that is current and no changes since? I flat out missed this information somehow! Looks like we are good to go.

This is our first trip to Bonaire, and I am a novice diver (at 56, it's about time I got off my "snorkeling butt!"). Got my confined water done this summer, and will do my open water at Buddy Dive first week of December. Am counting the days!

I have followed most message threads on the various message boards here on BT since June or so, and see that many of you are die-hard Bonaire aficionados (kind of a brotherhood/sisterhood sorta' thing). I am keeping close track of dive site, restaurant, and other local-related tips and suggestions that have been made. Hope to meet some of you along the way, as I anticipate that this will be the first of MANY trips there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #414) on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, no, Kelly!
I have just returned to Bonaire and was hoping to meet you. Just missed you!
Hope you had a fabulous birthday. Please let me know when you are returning. Please!!!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3289) on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tish, I didn't know you were off-island while I was on... the party was fabulous! There will be pictures I'm sure if there aren't already..lol..
Great time, great tunes (thanks Cam), great food (thanks Gibi, et. al.) and great friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #416) on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Of course. We would have met by now otherwise. :-)
Can't wait to see the photos!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #226) on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

kelly, i still think it's strange that someone other than the birthday girls was the most photographed person at the party, don't you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3299) on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat... lol!! I have some pics to post later today. Such a good time.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration