BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Do you have to reconfirm AA flights for return
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Do you have to reconfirm AA flights for return
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanie (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

DO you have to reconfirm return flights once in Bonaire for American Airlines. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fredster (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6607) on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's always a good idea Joanie, and the best thing is you can just stop by the airport on your way to a dive site and reconfirm...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, when we've tried to stop by the airport - it didn't work. If anyone was at the AA counter, they were contract folks and wouldn't/couldn't reconfirm. We haven't tried for several years, so maybe this has changed.

We have found (at another island with AA folks at the counter) that with AA that you are confirmed when you take the trip down. What we've done the last couple of years is to go online and double check our reservations the day before we leave.

Probably not the best way to do things (according to our TA who said almost exactly what Fredster said), but it has worked for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanie (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You'de do it at the same check in counter, when you check in for flights, does anyone know what hours there is someone at the American counter there. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #334) on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Joanie -

We would strongly recommend you try to reconfirm with AA the day before departure (a procedure we recommend with any carrier anywhere in the world).

We say "try" because we have had uneven luck in our attempts. Sometimes we could reach AA by telephone; sometimes we could find them at the airport. Sometimes they would reconfirm and sometimes they would not, they would say "just come to the airport early the day of your flight."

Whether you are successful in reconfirming before your day of departure or not, our experience is that the "show up early" advice is sound. But given the tenuous status of air service in Bonaire, any extra ammunition you have to reconfirm your reservation is welcome.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1104) on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'd definitely recommend re-confirming. Two years ago, when I did that, American told me that Alan's return reservation had been "cancelled", and the flight he was scheduled on was full. Apparently, his reservation was cancelled before he did the down to Bonaire leg!!! Go figure!

It ended OK, after HOURS on the phone with AA, but now I just call one of the US #s to make sure I speak to a person. I've never had luck finding anyone at the airport who could handle this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

During a recent visit to Bonaire, I also wanted to reconfirm return reservations on AA. I went to the airport several times, but no luck. The American Eagle desk is un-staffed except at the early morning departure time, and those folks were unable to help me. Nobody ever answers the local AA telephone line in Bonaire. I think your best bet is to call AA directly in the States or ask your travel agent to handle it for you. I agree with the suggestion to arrive at the airport early for your AA departure. Check in opens at 6:00 am - plan to get there at 5:30 - 5:45 am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #409) on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Strange things can happen on AA.
Now and then the flight does not go from Bonaire to San Juan, but AA does not cancel the San Juan to your home airport flight when the earlier flight does not get you to San Juan. Go figure.
Always reconfirm, even if it means paying for a call to the US.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanie (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for this valuable info. I will call the airline before we depart for Bonaire and again once on the island. Thanks again.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration