BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: First trip to Bonaire booked!!!!!!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: First trip to Bonaire booked!!!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did it! I'm Bonaire bound Oct 19-27. Not nearly long enough, but all I can have for right now. I'm reading the threads about San Juan connections and am getting a bit nervous now. Is 2 1/2 hours between flights there enough time? I thought I read somewhere that you should go directly to your departure gate to get your boarding passes on arrival in San Juan, does that still ring true?
Boy, I'm so excited I can't even believe I'm going yet. The only downfall is that I'm also feeling extremely guilty due to putting the dogs into the boarding kennel for 10 days. Oh well, momma needs some down time!
Any tips/advice on things to do besides dive? I plan to do some diving, but want to see what else the island has to offer. There's always the next trip for more diving : )!
Thanks in advance,
Becky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #706) on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 8:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,

Try and get your boarding passes / seat assignments for the final leg at your first airport check in. When we left Miami they said we'd have to get our boarding passes in San Juan, but by the time we got to SJ, the plane was already over weight and we were bumped to the next day. The few from our party that left out of Orlando got their boarding passes there, and were able to go on to Bonaire as scheduled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynderella (Seb made me do it) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14616) on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail, why wouldn't they give you your boarding passes in Miami? They have always given us our boarding passes all the way through when we've left from LAX....I wonder if they are overbooking and from the shorter legs, not issuing them KNOWNG that there won't be room/weight...is this the first time it's happened to you? Just curious as it seems to be a recent thing....

On the other hand (and hopefully lighter note) Becky, congratulations! The dogs will survive and you will love bonaire. We have 4 dogs and use a house/dog sitter and still feel guilty! LOL!

Post your "what to do" over in Everything Else and see what response you get. Also, scan through the dining, diving bonaire, and trip report threads as there is a TON of info posted on what to do (you're not the first to ask the question). Don't forget to visit the Donkey Sanctuary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PATRICK T. (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't they have a wall named after you cyndee, thought i heard something to that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynderella Loo Hoo I'll Play Nice (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14621) on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ha ha ha Patrick...yes, I am still in blue wall therapy for October...I hope Marina lets me back in the Sanctuary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #707) on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, we think by the time we were checking in in Miami, that they already knew they'd assigned too many boarding passes for that flight and just stopped assigning any more. At the gate they were asking for 32 volunteers to accept incentives to being bumped. We had 7 in our group that came through Miami, and none of us volunteered, but since they didn't get the full 32 we were bumped anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher A. Rish (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 6:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back and flew AA from JFK to San juan and then to Bon and two and a half hours is plenty, coming back same thing but you have to go through customs coming back, I had enough time to do customs go out for a smoke and go through security again with time to shop in duty free, if you go out though be careful, security at San Juan is the tightest I have ever seen I got patted down and they scrutinized everything, including why I was flying AA but Air Jamaica issued my tickets, and they thought I was nuts when I told him about the Air Jamaica fiasco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynderella Loo Hoo I'll Play Nice (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14623) on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gial, 32 volunteers? YIKES! That's BAD! I've heard them asking for volunteers at the gate for other small island connections, but 32...that has to be costing them MORE money because they have to pay for hotel accommodations, etc. El Convente is NOT cheap!

Chirstopher, I think the scrutiny you experienced must have been the ticket issue. Security through SJ for us has always been just the same as other airports (except it's crowded and hot)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info, I've read some horror stories here and just want TRY to make sure it doesn't happen to me. I realize there are no guarantees, though. I've just got to remember to go with the flow, it's all one big adventure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 6:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky, we just got back via DFW, SJN, BON. on AA.
all flights were on time. the only delay was in SJ baggage claim. we waited 45 min to get our luggage but had 2hr to connect to DFW. it all comes down to many factors if you get to Bon on time or not. we were lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #190) on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,

Getting to Bonaire is an all-day adventure. And well worth the effort. Enjoy the wonders underwater and also the great birding there this time of year. Bonaire sits as a flyway between NA and SA. Enjoy the wild geology too. Go up north past Gotomeer and enjoy the views. Spend a day in Washington Park. It is cross between the moon, Arizona, heaven, and the deep blue sea.

Best advice is go slow underwater. See more. And forget any diet plans while you are there. Sun is potent and night stars are great.

Happy u/w trails.

Bud

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration