BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Aruba entrance tax
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Aruba entrance tax
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg & Lani Muelrath (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Attempted today to pay fees for Delta (SFO-AUA) frequent flier mile ticket. I thought the fee of $66 was a bit steep and the agent responded that $33 of the fare was for the entrance tax to Aruba. Me:"We're no going to Aruba. We'll be in transit to catch connecting flight to Bonaire." Agent:"Sorry, the entrance tax is locked in. You have to pay it." I didn't buy the ticket.
Can someone in the know weigh in on this? Is the entrance tax compulsory even for transit passengers? Thanks, Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5625) on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's actually the Aruba departure tax, not entrance tax. And I don't think there's any way around it. However, when you leave Bonaire, instead of paying the $20 international departure tax per person, you can pay the cheaper (not sure how much it is) Aruba departure tax.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margarite and Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2112) on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 7:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg I simply Googled " Aruba departure tax"

Passenger Facility Charge

All visitors incur a passenger facility charge (departure tax). For US bound passengers departure tax is US $36.75 and for international bound passengers the PFC is US $33.50. If in Aruba on transit for less than 24 hours, these charges are waived. Visitors can leave the airport and return freely within those hours. Children under 2 years of age do not pay the Aruba Departure Tax.

Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg & Lani Muelrath (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 9:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jimmy, and thanks for the info. If I interpreted the policy corrected, it states passengers in transit to and from Bonaire pay no tax in Aruba. This doesn't align with Jake's comment, so I double-checked the official website for Reina Beatrix Airport, and your info is accurate.

The Delta agent was quite firm the tax was mandatory. I've been doing battle with Delta for 2 years trying to redeem miles for travel to Bonaire, and I have a feeling another battle looms.
Thanks again for your help.
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margarite and Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2113) on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 8:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg, I assume that you are "purchasing" a round trip ticket. No matter what they "call" the tax you are paying for, I would ask them for "proof" that you paid the tax, in a form that would satisfy Aruba that the "Departure Tax" had indeed been paid. I personally doubt Delta can provide this doucument. We fly DFW to Curacao, then CUR to BON. Even the small inter-island airline charges the PFC, which is not much, for flying from one island to another, this charge is part of the ticket price, at least this is my understanding. We also pay the Curacao PFC charge when leaving CUR for MIA. Although, that charge is much less than the Aruba PFC.
Departure Tax in Curacao is the following per the internet. International departure tax is US$25 per person, payable upon departure. This is usually not included in your airline ticket but some tour companies may include it. Domestic departure tax is Nafl 10,00.

Good Luck

Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woodward (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 8:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I used Delta miles to Aruba in July/August 04. No problem. I transited to Bonaire the same day on Bonaire Exel and paid no Aruba tax as part of my Delta tickee price or on the island.

Someone mentioned that their passport had been stamped with the wrong date in Aruba and they had to pay, so check the date stamp in your passport.

I would simply suggest calling another Delta person. Of course; the rules could have changed in Aruba in the meantime.

Aruba has a pi** poor setup for transit passengers, as all the BE passengers to Bonaire probably will testify.

I have thought I would try transiting thru Curacao if I should do it again. In large part because there are 2 air choices Cur-Bon and 1 via Aruba. Also a cheaper tickee on the shorter hop to Bonaire from Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John"Smack"Anderson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1037) on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 7:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My last three trips were through Aruba and I did not have to pay departure tax there, only the $20 tax leaving Bonaire. I was told I am considered "in transit" so the Aruba tax is waived. That was also written on my ticket. I would say the agent is wrong, by my experience.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration