BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Flying with Animals
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-10 to 2005-12-13: Flying with Animals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Recently saw an article in the Washington Post stating that as of October 1, USAirways will no longer take live animals as checked baggage or cargo, although if reservations had been booked before August 17, you can still do so, at least for a while. Seems you will still be allowed to carry small animals on board as "carry-ons". Special animals (guide dogs, assist dogs) would also still be allowed in the cabin. Don't know if other airlines will follow suit but this will presently appears to affect anyone traveling USAirways via Aruba with animals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr.Deb (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 3:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings all! I will soon be attending medical school in Bonaire..St. James school of medicine. I plan on flying the new Continental non-stop from Houston to the island in January. I will be traveling (hopefully) with my cat. Continental allows 3 pets per plane as carry-on (1 in first class and 2 in coach/economy). Does anyone have any information about bringing pets onto the island? What specific requirements need to be met? Is there a vet on the island? How difficult is it to get them off the island after they have been there for about a year? Any and all information would be helpful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Namthip P. (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 9:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Dr.Deb,

My husband and I moved here with a dog and a cat. Unfortunately, we lost our cat after a week we were here. We've never found him. The problem was we let him went outside sooner. We should kept him longer in the house before we let him working out his new area.

If you wish to bring your cat when you are moving to Bonaire, it needs a pet passport. Your pet must be examined by a recognized vet in the country you are moving from in order to obtain such a passport. The passport contains the following information: - a statement from the vet (in Dutch or English) that your pet has been vaccinated with an approved vaccine against rabies; - the date of vaccination; - your pet’s description including its breed, sex, age, colour and type of fur and its marks; - the name of the owner.

Important! Your cat must have been vaccinated within 1 year and at least 30 days before your move. You should, therefore, apply for it at your vet no later than 10 days before your move. If you do not have a pet passport, your cat will be vaccinated upon entering the country after which it will have to remain in quarantine for 30 days.

Good luck,
Thip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1932) on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Same applies when you leave with your pet...Generally, it is pretty easy to accomplish..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration