BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: HELP! Passing the time in Aruba's airport
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: HELP! Passing the time in Aruba's airport
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #91) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What can anyone suggest for the three and a half hours between flights at Aruba's airport? Anything at all?? (Hopefully there's a bar serving icy cold cocktails)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #356) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Right outside customs is a little snack bar and tables and chairs. This area is air conditioned. No cocktails however.
If you walk outside and turn right, toward Bonaire Express and then keep curving right, you will reach a tiny outdoor place serving local food, beer, and tiny bottles of wine. There are only two or three tables. The airport staff get take-out here. The food is prepared from scratch while you wait. The employees speak Papiamentu and Dutch and a couple of words of English. Probably Spanish too.
If you turn left instead, towards the US airlines check-in counter, you will miss this place.
Once you have gone through passport control, you will reach duty free shops and a couple of mass-market junk food places to eat. There night be a bar in this area too. I haven't looked for one.
I always go to the local food place, no matter which direction I'm flying in.
Enjoy!
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tish- The local place sounds great. I can wait for the cocktail if I have to...;-) This part of the trip will be the hardest part. We've waited so long to get to Bonaire, I want to BE there already!!

So what can you tell me about Tuesday night at Gibi's? Is this something you would recommend??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4155) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie we are going to be there (Aruba) for 5 hours (probably much less with customs/check in), ON SATURDAY!! (Rub it in). Our plan is to walk to the curb (with luggage), grab a cab and have them take us to Manchebo Beach (nice resort we have stayed at) for $17. Have the bellhop take care of the luggage (glad to do for a fee), and go to the beach/pool bar with carry on's. Reverse back to airport. It's important to have a plan, it's not necessaraly important to follow it.

YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #93) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

nah nah nah nah nah!

:-)~

(Nice plan, by the way! Depending on our state of mind and the time, I just might follow suit). See you in Bonaire! I hear the water is nice and WARMMMMMMMMMMMMM...............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #357) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tuesday night at Gibi's is great. He's a terrific cook, and you can't beat the company--other BTers.
Tish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We'll plan on it! What time do people usually start to gather?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2973) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tish, you need to post your pic so we will know you when we see you in Oct.!

Have fun on the Aruba layovers folks! The little outside garden area behind the Bonaire Express kiosk is a nice place to sit and relax. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #95) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Kelly. I'm already relaxed just thinking about being there.... If only I could focus myself enough to finish my PACKING! <grrr>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #358) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's it, Kelly! That's where that local restaurant is.
As for my pic, I am technology challenged. If somebody else wants to post a pic for me, that would be great.
Gibi's at 6:30, Bonnie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

6:30 it is. Save two seats for me and the man. He's the one in the tuxedo. hehe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2974) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie, you will have a fabulous time, guaranteed.
Can't wait to see pictures and read your trip report that I KNOW you are going to post upon your return. :-)

Tish, I spent FIVE hours there after missing my flight last July. I was very familiar with it. lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #97) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The sad news is that the housing to our underwater camera is in need of replacement/repair. The good news is that we're bringing our new Nikon digital so there will be lots of above-the-sea shots. I hope we get out of the water enough to take some pics. And if I do, I'll post. Don't worry!

PS- Kelly, unless you walked into Gibi's bachwards on a white adirondack chair, I wouldnt recognize you either! HA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2975) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie... omg that was the funniest thing I've ever heard!!! It is tempting to walk backwards into Gibis next month...

Most BTers that have been around awhile know what I look like. lol. I'll find a pic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #99) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does that mean we have to go to Gibi's in black tie? LOL Fat chance of that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2976) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is topside with the famous Partay Rat.

hat and rat

And this is underwater at the old reefcam at Small Wall.

mermaid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2977) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

okay that's odd, I copied them from other BT posts. Oh well, will try again later. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2978) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now it's personal. lol

Okay, last try.

This is Cynde Lee and me at the Flamingo Airport, the first meeting of the Donkey Divas.

airport2

Me with the Par-tay Rat.

rat2

And finally, the underwater view.

mermaid2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 3:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So now you'll have to bring the mermaid AND the chair :-) I love the pics!

Think of us this time tomorrow... killing time before our flight out of Aruba. It seems like FOREVER!

See ya'll in Bonaire. Let's go down!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2981) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie, safe travels to you and safe diving.

See you on the other side....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #101) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the good wishes. Over and out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #152) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 5:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cecil, we are going to Bonaire on 9/17 and have a 5 1/2 hour layover too. Can you post and let us know how it went going to that resort? We're thinking of doing something similar. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4158) on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 9:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renea, I'll let you know, here when I get to Bonaire (I do like the sound of that).

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration