BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Flying aruba to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Flying aruba to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael theulen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to the ABC's for the 1st time in November.I cannot seem to find my choices on getting from island to island i.e. ferry/air etc.Any help/info would be greatful. Thanks!
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #796) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike,

Search the site, there is a lot. The only way as of right now is BonairExpress (aka BonairExcel or DCA). Go to www.bonairexel.an for more info. (Last I checked the website still works.)

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Erickson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Website appears down right now . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael theulen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've tried bonairexcel for a week no luck.Any ferries running from bonaire/curacao?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #322) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

no ferries between the islands.... but why don't ask your accommodation to make the reservation for you, we do that regularly for our guests. You get a reservation number and can than pick up your tickets on Aruba and pay for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #298) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael -

If you have searched this newsgroup for posts on BonaiExcel, you have noticed that they have been less than reliable of late. Just be aware.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Erickson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

www.bonairexpress.com seems to be working right now . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael theulen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update:
My God people,is it always this hard to vacation in the ABC's?As of now, I have no way to get to Bonaire on 11/20/2005.I have a e-mail in to where I'am staying, Bonaire/express says they have no flights, I,am looking for any alternatives.No wonder I enjoy Hawaii!
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #194) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try Air Jamaica I just booked them a couple of day's ago. They still fly to Bonaire on Saturday... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #160) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would recommend checking with one of the travel agents that specialize in Bonaire. They often have access to blocks of seats that are not otherwise available. I can put in a strong recommendation for Amy at Caradonna Caribbean Tours. She's always found excellent deals for us. She can be reached at 800-328-2288 -- ask for Amy Garrow, and tell her I sent ya!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharon Cassily (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Scott. I called Amy at 800-328-2288 and she booked me for next Feb 2006 on a flight from Aruba to Bonaire. I tried for 5 hours trying to get there from here without success. Amy booked right away. Flight is with Bonaire Express. Hopefully they stay in business until then. Thanks again. Amy says tell others!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Friedman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please be advised that BonairExpress will shortly be cancelling the non stop 5PM flight from Aruba-Bonaire and also the 11AM Bonaire-Aruba non stop flight. All flights will be stopping in Curacao. If you have a ticket purchased through me I have already protected you and a revised itinerary has been sent to your email. If you have a reservation directly with the airline I would suggest that you check with them as to any changes that may have occured to your reservation.
Larry from World Dive.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2916) on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow... Larry from World Dive, you are a legend here. Or should we call you "Paper Ticket Larry" ?? LOL !

Welcome to our craziness and thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just booked for April 2006 and are doing the red eye. Chicago to Houston and Houston to Bonaire. Leaving Friday afternoon 5:00 pm and arriving in Bonaire at 5:15 am . At least we will have the whole day on Saturday. Continental Airlines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2094) on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Larry. Just when we thought we had a good thing going regarding air travel to Bonaire, something else happens. Time to look into other transportation options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael theulen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

UPDATE 2
I took Scott's advice and called Amy also.
Lesson's learned:
1. DO NOT try to book your own arrangements as a 1st timer.
2. Even if you get hotels etc. the inter-island hops and connecting flights will bite you on the @#!*!
3 Have nothing but good to say about Amy!
Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, stupid question! Is Bonaire Excel and Bonaire Express the same airline? We got rebooked after the AJ cancellations and decided to stay with it because I don't trust AJ anymore. We're fly American from BWI to Aruba and then Bonaire Excel from Aruba to Bonaire but, I believe it leaves at 5:00 p.m.

Any info. would be helpful.

Thanks!
Renea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pattie (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Excel and Express are the same. We flew to Aruba (arrived at 2:30) and made the 5:00 connection to Bonaire. Coming home we were on the 11:00 to Aruba and our flight to PHL left at 3:20. PLENTY of time there. I took a rather uncomfortable nap on those awful chairs in the Aruba airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, What kind of a price did you get from Aruba To Bonair? Did you get a direct flight? Thanks Kent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharon Cassily (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire Express was Bonaire Excel My understanding is that the airline was also called at one time Dutch Eagle Express. Anyway, it is now called Bonaire Express and from my understanding is owned by KLM. Hope this helps. Took hours of work for me, hope it helps others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Friedman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renea,
Currently as of mid August the non stop 5PM flight from AUA-BON will be discontinued by BonairExpress and the 11AM non stop BON-AUA flight will also be discontinued in mid August. If this affects you and you have reservations with them you need to contact them to see what they have changed your itinerary to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Larry. I booked our trip with Caradonna Carribean tours. I've sent the agent I booked with an email with your message. So glad you posted this out here! We are definitely booked on those flights. Hopefully, the time can just be changed! Man, it is getting tougher and tougher to get to Bonaire! We got switched to these flights after the Air Jamaica mess and decided to stay with it because I don't trust Air Jamaica any more. Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Davis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just back. Reiterating some previous posts: If you do not have ACTUAL tickets in hand, allow an extra 1.5 hr at the Bonaire Express ticket window in Aruba, and bring LOTS of cash. No credit cards, no automatic ticket printing machines. Also no air conditioning while waiting in line. Our US Air flight got in late, and we BARELY made the 5PM flight to Bonaire. Free US Air tickets or not, next time we fly from the US mainland directly to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe and dawn lievois (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can you still do that? fly directly to Bonaire from the States? Or anything close to it? Boy, out of Chicago or Minneapolis it seems to require extra days to get there. Wanna go back bad but the cancelled flights and multiple layovers are really challenging my free time to find ways to avoid the trouble. When i get serious i'll call an agent but it sure doesn't look like i can get decent flights under the circumstances of having limited vacation time and opportunity. i keep looking at the Board and online booking because i think i must be missing something.(?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Davis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 7:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can't fly directly from the states to Bonaire.....yet. Continental has announced intentions to start flying from Houston to Bonaire direct in Dec. Currently, closest you get is San Juan (numerous carriers), then American Eagle. Or the Bonaire Express option. The archives are full of the debate as to which is more/less reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe and dawn lievois (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess i'm not missing anything. it seems an even mix of "trouble-free" travel and troublesome travel. trouble-free meaning, lots of connections, but all made.

Looks like, if i don't want to spend an extra night in San Juan, and want to avoid Bonaire Express' problems of bumping folks, cancelling flights, and long ticket lines(if you don't carry paper ones), then exploring flights through Curasao and Divi is the way to go. my guess is that it will be difficult to make the connection in CUR as well, at least on the way there.(out of minneapolis or chicago)

Thanks Michael. I guess i wish i was missing something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #144) on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whew, I'm still trying to get ahold of someone at Caradonna to rebook our Aruba/Bonaire/Aruba flights but, I checked BonairExpress website today and saw that they do have a flight listed that leaves Aruba at 6PM to Bonaire and leaves Bonaire at 10AM to ARuba on the dates we are traveling. Does anyone know if these flights have been changed or not? Thanks, as usual!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Voss (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Joe and Dawn -- we flew from MSP to Aruba on a charter flight in February (Champion Air) that was quite a deal -- $299 round trip, and less than 12 hours traveling all the way to Bonaire. We booked the Aruba-Bonaire leg separately on Bonaire Express (Bonaire Excel at the time) and did not encounter much difficulty, except for rescheduled flights that did not impact our connections. Paper tickets in hand are key -- as you'll read in multiple threads on this board. Unfortunately, recent posts on BE's service make me think that BE is getting less reliable. Too bad, because the charter option was much less expensive, and faster, than scheduled air through San Juan. Charters to Aruba from MSP crank up in December; I'm hoping BE gets its act together by then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Neal (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renea, If you look carefully at the BonairExpress flights you mention, the flying time is 1:30 instead of the 40 minute flights previously listed. These flights have to be stopping in Curacao. Our travel agent switched us to the new flights for our trip in September.

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #145) on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all for answering all my questions on this. Just confirmed with travel agent that our flights were changed and we will definitely have paper tickets.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration