BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AE Service not so hot
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: AE Service not so hot
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Bridenbaugh (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just heard from the dear lady who owns the cottages we are staying at on the 1st of July. She said that the AE flight from Sunday (6-19) was canceled and that her customers who booked her rooms had not showed up as of yesterday AM.

The explanation from AE was that the crew didn't show up in time. Some have speculated that the real reason was that the flight wasn't filled enough to justify the trip. At any rate, we the travelers can NO LONGER count on any of the airlines. Quality Air travel is a thing of the past. It has become a "crap shoot" for us to travel on any airline. Of course, since they have us by the short hairs how else can we get to our favorite destination?

Where is this all going to lead? Yeah, I know that this thread has been beat to death. The only Airline that makes regular runs to Bon and that is feasible for Yankees is AE (aside from some connection to KLM) is starting to smell like last weeks tuna fish.

Does anybody know the statistics of how many AE flights are cancelled? Never mind the lost luggage. I hear that if the plane is too full some luggage gets left behind. And if they aren't full enough are they going to get cancelled? How is this for a General Custer situation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13834) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David, we just got back from the BVI's and used AA/AE. Our luggage arrived over 12 hours late from SJ to Tortola because there was too much luggage, and weight issue. They had some folks move to the back of the plane (comforting thought huh?). Anyway, it did arrive much later on another "less full" flight apperantly. Didn't really bother us though, as we carry our regs, my prescription mask, a change of clothes and bathingsuits in our carry on...so if it arrives too late, I get to just do more shopping! And coming home? Who cares!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David F Pascoe (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 3:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David

I am sorry but you are way out of line here. Fortunately you can count on American. I was on the flight home with the crew yesterday. They took off from St Croix had a problem w one engine and had to circle and drop the passengers. After the mechanics checked it they ferried it back to SJU and took another plane back to get them. THey cancelled the flight down sunday evening and broght 51 people down monday am and then took us back midday monday. The operation in Bon did not have the local numbers for everyone but those they did they contacted.

My wife and I have a home down there and fly from jfk every 6 weeks for 5 years. This is only the third time we have had any problem. THe other recent one was caused by a large puddle of hydraulic fluid from the plane overnight. If any one wants my seat on a flight with obvious mechanical problems they are welcome to it!!

The only problem was weather related leaving ny 1hr late missing the connection from the 12.30 flight. THe obvious solution we now always catch the 9.30 have a nice lunch at the Admirals club and make phone calls etc to ensure we do not waste a night in sju.

These planes were designed for commuter flights not taking 60 people with heavy bags to remote islands. If you have a full load of people you cannot also have a full load of fuel and all the luggage. If you are on a full flight some people are not going to get their bags simple arithmetic.

This flight is also at the bottom of the crews wish list. They overnite get in after dark and leave very early before they can do anything.

Final 2 thoughts:
If you want good connections and easy access Bonaire cannot stay the way it is.... try Aruba instead.

A direct flight on a 737 is going to unload about 200 people and a full load of luggage at one time at the airport. Probably about the same time klm and aj are coming in. I promise to make sure that I am not in those lines!!

Bonaire is remote geographically and politically that is why it is the way it is. THe air fares there are still very reasonable compared with most through out the world. Try going to the Galapagos.

Boanire is less than 5 hours actual flying time from NY or BOS pretty amazing really. Understand the system and use it to your aadvantage.

david

david

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13837) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David...well put!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #352) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We agree that, for the most part, you can count on American. We have traveled to Bonaire from Des Moines Iowa on American/American Eagle 5 times in the last 4 years and have never encountered a major problem with cancellations or luggage issues. It takes approximately 12 hours to make the trip but we consider that a small price to pay if that's what it takes to prevent Bonaire from becoming another Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tel Aviv (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 6:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Long live the Great State of Iowa!!! In January, 3 Grinnell College students visited Bonaire and loved it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #353) on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What's up Tel Aviv!! 17 Sep for the crew from Des Moines - gettin' steep and deep on Bonaire!! Grinnell - its all good. Later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Bridenbaugh (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 10:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

David P
Thanks for shedding the light on AE and your experience with them. I admit that I have become cynical when it comes to air travel. I too travel a lot and have had too many delayed and cancelled flights in the last couple of years. My most recent experience was with AJ in April and the level of customer service was terrible. In fact I wrote them about 15 of us pending the night sleeping in the departure area due to their poor management of our connections and then with an AJ representative giving all of us a tin foil blanket and a small bottle of water then telling us to "keep warm and well fed" so to speak. I wrote them on May 2nd and still no word.

We fly into Bon on the 7/2 evening flight with AE and I just checked and the flight is full. As long as we get there and our bags at least show up no later than the next day that will be great.

Sounds like AE is trying hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5559) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, AE got me to San Juan this morning (from Bonaire), and was apparently on time getting into Bonaire last night. Let's see how it is when I go back home to Bonaire next week (although on approximately a dozen roundtrips involving AE in the last 6-8 months, the worst that's happened is arriving 3 hours late on Bonaire once).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Bridenbaugh (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Correction, we fly on the 1st from SJ to Bon. I looked online and all seats are filled except 7. That calculates to 57 passenger plus crew. I have no idea if this translates into left behind luggage for the next flight?

We traveled DCA from Miami to Curacao last year. When returning from Cur to Mia the big planes where down so they were putting as many people on the small planes as possible. The problem was that this overflow of people were rerouted to Dominica or turned away until the following day. The real cunundrum began when spill over from the next days flight was added to this and so on. I don't know how these folks keep their sanity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David F Pascoe (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David
Good luck with your trip and enjoy. The limiting factor in a divers plans should probably be the amount of camera gear they are carrying.

Let us assume that it fits in a small Pelican or a regulation roll on. A small Pelican fits in the overhead of the atr and the roll on is checked plane side. If you get there so will these 2 items. If the camera fits the pelican its easy you can get a months work of shorts, t-shirts and tevas in the roll on with your toiletries and a prescription facemask. IF you want, also a thin suit that actually fits you.

On Bonaire it is very easy to rent a well serviced reg bc and fins so you are well covered.

If the roll on is full of cams take a SMALL back pack for the tshirts shorts and tevas and toiletries. DO NOT over pack it!! there is not much room inside an atr.

Remember an appropriate supply of duty free at SJU since this in the right quantity has been know to make most of the irritations diminish.

Understand the system plan accordingly and there will be no problem. Enjoy.

david

ps come to think of it what do you need the suitcases for anyway??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john strand (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've flown to Bonaire 3 times in the last 8 months. Once on AJ - terrible! Coming down, flight from EWR made an unscheduled stop at BWI to pick up some people they stranded there the previous day. Then missed the BON connecting flight. One observation .. if you kick and scream enuf, AJ kicks in extra stuff. One couple got them to reimburse them for the Bonaire room they couldnt use that night.

Twice on AA/AE - no problems. One suggestion .. carry-ons are gate-checked on AE and loaded/unloaded at the plane without going thru their baggage process. This avoids the possibility of the baggage being left behind. (Or at least minimizes it!)
John

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration