BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Mary at Sandollar is great, and we got air jamaica'ed
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Mary at Sandollar is great, and we got air jamaica'ed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Molk (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello:
Been a lurker for a couple of years, finally had to add my little bit. We have been planning our second trip to Bonaire to the Sand Dollar and I have been reading the posts regarding Air Jamaica with great trepidation. Our departure was to be this Sunday, from Boston to Jamaica to Bonaire. When I called AJ yesterday to check on the flight, having seen so many disasters on this forum and wanting to be safe, I was not surprised to hear a change in plans.
My flight would now leave Boston for Philadelphia, then to Jamaica to arrive ten minutes after the plane for Bonaire left! I asked if this made it an overnight, and was told, no, AJ would not be flying to Bonaire for several days, not just one. They cancelled me out and refunded the money.
Of interest to me, they said I would have the money back in TWO MONTHS, though they took it in two minutes. Needless to say, I called AMEX and immediately instituted a charge back on AJ, so will not have to pay until the credit is completed.
When I called the Sand Dollar and spoke with Mary, she was most kind and assured me of a full refund with no problems. She was surprised AJ had not offered me alternate flights, but they offered nothing at all.
Also, she had just received a fax from AJ noting the cancellation of my flight, although they had not notified me. Interesting?!
I noted on my internet checking of AJ seat availability, that they had only about ten seats open for the return from Bonaire, and either a few or none on the flight out, depending on when I checked. As they had nearly full flights according to their website, I don't understand the cancellations.
Now, I am scrambling around to find a different vacation. I can't tolerate the AA Eagle flights, as last time I flew on them, they were 7.5 hours late. From my area, there is an overnight in PR on AA, which cuts too much time off the vacation.
Hoping for a direct flight from the US sometime in the future, and my sincere appreciation of Mary at the Sand Dollar,
Rich (pasty white in the North East - 58 degrees in cold rain right now).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #269) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard, try flying to Curacao or Aruba and then taking Bonaire Exel to Bonaire. May cost a little more but you will be able to get there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13812) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rich, sorry about your plans...glad to see Sand$ is working with you...I do have to say however, that for us left coasters, it takes 26 hours from the time we leave the house and arrive on bonaire (without travel delays)...I must really be a bonaireaddictophyte! I do hope you find another destination that works better for you:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Reilly (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard:

Sorry to hear about your problem. If you check US Airways you will find that there are lots of flights PHL to Aruba. You can also try to get seats on Bonaire Excel.

I posted a note some time ago about the deteriorating air service to Bonaire and mostly got rather nasty replies implying that the island was difficult to get to and that was its charm. So, my desire for easy connections was the sort of wish that only a non-dedicated Bonaire diver would possibly want. Despite these un-helpful replies, I changed our bookings from AJ to US Airways and Bonaire Excel. We have our tickets and our reservations and plan to enjoy our upcoming vacation. Hope you can do the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #343) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

James: I went back and reread the thread you are referring to above. I don't think the BTers who posted there meant to be nasty. I think they were trying to get across the idea that if Bonaire were too easy to get to, it would turn into another Aruba. That is something many of us don't want; however, I can understand you being unhappy with losing one vacation day going and one vacation day going back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Molk (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello:
Thank you for all the kind words and helpful advice. We think Bonaire is a tremendous dive location, with friendly experienced people and magnificent shore and boat dives.
Unfortunately, vacation time is very limited and I begrudge the 12 to 14 hours it takes to get there now (assuming Air Jamaica just rerouted me instead of cancelling me as they did). I am sure a solution will eventually occur to ameliorate the situation, as I am not alone in choosing alternate vacations when faced with the trials of getting to Bonaire.
There seem to be two ways of viewing the situation...one is to keep Bonaire pristine and pure by not having people go there, so one is happy it is difficult to get there, and two is to think of what economic and building improvements could be accomplished with more money from judicious increases in travel through easier access. From my own point of view, I jealously guard what vacation time I have, and am loathe to squander too much of it in getting somewhere, when competition is so strong among many great places.
James: I read and enjoyed your post, and thought you did not merit the thinly veiled imputation of your desires or attributes.
Again, a heartfelt thanks to Mary for her understanding at the Sand Dollar. I feel sure we will return to Bonaire and stay at the SD in the future.
Also, a big thank you to all the BTers who have posted the difficulties with air jamaica. Without you, I would not have been as alert to the probability of being Air Jamaica'ed.
Regards,
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #192) on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

"AJ" (from the defunct late 20th/early 21st century airline Air Jamaica). Verb. 1) To treat with contempt and wanton disregard 2) To accept payment for services, refuse to provide those services, and hold the funds for an unreasonable period. 3)To subject to interminable delays and arbitrary schedule changes 4) To go belly up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Molk (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just returned from a trip to the bahamas. The diving is not as spectacular as Bonaire, but the trip was planned just two days before leaving, and went off without a hitch. US Air took us right in on time, with one scheduled stop. They returned us with a 40 minute delay due to airport power outage, but with plenty of time for our connection.
Stuart Cove diving was wonderful.

Sorry to have missed my trip to Bonaire this year, due to Air Jamaica, but at least we did get away for a while with no hassle from US AIR.

Best to you all,

Rich

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration